Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:05 pm

WTF (Why the fuss)?

Life sucks. Tell us about your problems and maybe we can help. =)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

WTF (Why the fuss)?

Postby Chosen_one » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:15 pm

Well, I've blown it. I've seriously screwed myself. How?

Well, in English we have to annotate novels. I annotated about half of mine, and ended up getting a 6 out of 20, which brings my grade down to an C-.

Assuming I get an A on my final exam, my semester grade for English will be, at maximum, a B.

Many people tell me that B's aren't so bad. I agree, because I suck at English. But unfortunately, I just happen to go the 3rd best high school in my state, and I just happen to be Chinese. What does this mean?

Here is a table of Chinese/East Asian parents' classification of grades:
A = Congrats, we're not gonna kill you.
B = You FAIL. You're GROUNDED/BEATEN/CAN'T FEEL GOOD till you get an A. (And we all know that semester grades only come once per semester.)
C = You've got some nerve to bring home such a crappy grade.
D = We're gonna disown you if you get one again.
As for F… well, nobody gets F's.
(Parents say they're only trying to help; I think they're giving the wrong message.)

So I'm gonna get a B. I'm gonna "Asian fail" English. And this is what's gonna happen to me.

Seriously, what's wrong with getting ONE bad grade, whether it be a B, C, D, F, whatever? It's just ONE B. Oh no, my GPA is gonna drop from 4.3 to 4.25. Boo hoo. But apparently I'll never hear the end of it from my crazy Asian parents. Apparently, 0.05 GPA points is more important than staying intact.

On top of that, my mom acts like she's the most miserable person in the world, always complaining to me about all the struggles she had raising me even though all other parents I know do the same thing. And then I would ask her why we were so poor compared to our friends and she would always say that it's because they came to America first. I never dared ask her why we came to America in the first place, because in the way I see it, my dad had a great management job that paid a lot of money in Japan, my favorite place on Earth, and he had to give it up just so we can live in a tiny American apartment eating cheap food for a few years, and then I'd get another knockout for mentioning it to my mom. My mom also complains to me for treating her like an American even though coming here was her idea (she even got American citizenship).

Stupid hypocrites.

Okay, so I exaggerated the knockout thing. But it's still infuriating to listen to parents yell at you, dealing with you like a chore.
The Chosen One
Consul of the Republic of Destiny
Conqueror of the Empire of Fate
I have received 2480 replied notifications.
Click here to go to my 1337th post.
Click Here to view the longest thread in Lyoko Freak history.
Chosen_one offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby DJSakurame » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:28 pm

I see where you are coming from, though I haven't experienced it. Actually, I'm the other way around. If I try, and try my hardest I could ever do, no matter what grade, I won't get in trouble. They may be disappointed, but they won't punish me harshly. Instead, they would help me to get better. (I've never gotten anything lower than a B, so I'm not exactly sure.)

Now, I'm all for "B's aren't bad". Because they aren't. It just means you didn't understand it fully. But some parents have to take it over the edge and yell and punish their kids.. Some of my friends' parents are like that. They want their kid to be perfect, and punish them for not.

Just try to explain to your mom that you tried, and that you'll do better next time. An apology never hurts. Even ask for help if you need it. Asking for help is a lot better than getting yelled at, in my opinion.

I wish I could have been more of a help, but sometimes we can't change our parents' outlooks and reasonings and we just have to deal with them.
DJSakurame offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Exploder » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:16 pm

A similar situation occurred this semester for me.

Chemistry is really hard for me, I don't know why. So, my grade in there steadily goes from an A down to a C-. My teacher sucks, plain and simple. It would take too long to say why.

Long story short, I passed the class by 1.45 points. My dad eventually got over it, because he realized that I was doing my best and the teacher sucks.

In your case, I can't really say that not doing all of that assignment was a good idea. You'll get what you put in to something.

If you didn't do it because you were screwing around, then you should accept the fact that you earned the grade you got. What I would do is approach your parents before the report card arrives and tell them the truth. They may be a little nicer if you tell them why you got that grade.

I'm not trying to come off wrong, and I'm sorry if it seems that way.

I hope it works out for you. :)
Exploder offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby . » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:08 pm

isn't b*tching about the grades part of that whole culture thing your always plugging whenever you feel someone is being ignorant to you?
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Chosen_one » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:03 am

ThePepsiPiper wrote:isn't b*tching about the grades part of that whole culture thing your always plugging whenever you feel someone is being ignorant to you?
The first 11 words (yes, I counted, I'm a loser with no life) were correct, but I only do it when it bothers me.

Whatevs, I'll get yelled at, I do it every year, blah blah blah, it's the same as usual, ThePepsiPiper is right, it's getting old, I just feel like complaining. Sorry if I've bothered you.

Another thing that bothers me is that I get "help" forced on me. Kinda annoying when people who mix up "few" and "less" try to teach you English vocabulary. Gosh, my parents' help is no good… It just bothers me, doesn't actually do anything…

Whatevs, the Crazy Asian Mother thing is totally true… Like, word for word… Scary…
The Chosen One
Chosen_one offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Malkmusian » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:48 pm

Everybody takes their grades waaay too seriously. Just like the lyrics for Limp Bizkit songs.

My grandpa, whenever I get a B+ (and by the way, I'm an autistic Southerner), freaks out somewhat, but he doesn't go as crazy as the Asian people.

We need to knock them out!
The creator, Carth, had never experienced autism until she read my story.
Sorry I was gone.
Malkmusian offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby JesusFreak » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:53 pm

Be careful of stereotypes Malky. Just 'cause CO's mom freaked out doesn't mean every Asian mother's crazy about grades.

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Chosen_one » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:19 pm

JesusFreak, you are absolutely right, but about 99% of Asian parents do.

In fact, my parents are the least strict of Asian parents.

Bah, English is sooo retarded… WHO CARES ABOUT LITERATURE…

Also, our school is using this website called Edline with which the teachers post our grades… Now, whenever I get a 3 out of 4 my parents freak out because it's technically a C (75%)…
The Chosen One
Chosen_one offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby . » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:04 am

Chosen_one wrote:JesusFreak, you are absolutely right, but about 99% of Asian parents do.

Also, our school is using this website called Edline with which the teachers post our grades… Now, whenever I get a 3 out of 4 my parents freak out because it's technically a C (75%)…

yeah god forbid we educated in the works J.D. Salinger or Shakespears' Macbeth.

Fn' (see Angie? Watching my language) ignorant statement if I ever heard one. Do you realize I had to sit in a class with a bunch of blonde as hell aspiring hair dressers that could NOT comprehend a "Dream Sequence" in a book? That could not understand when chief Broom in One Who Flew Over The Coo-Coo's Nest "walked" into a painting he didn't really walk into a painting that he was hallucinating?

Thats why we read books in school so we have the intelligence to understand stupid crap like that
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby FènéethxAelita » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:26 am

ThePepsiPiper wrote:
Chosen_one wrote:JesusFreak, you are absolutely right, but about 99% of Asian parents do.

Fn' (see Angie? Watching my language) ignorant statement if I ever heard one. Do you realize I had to sit in a class with a bunch of blonde as hell aspiring hair dressers that could NOT comprehend a "Dream Sequence" in a book? That could not understand when chief Broom in One Who Flew Over The Coo-Coo's Nest "walked" into a painting he didn't really walk into a painting that he was hallucinating?

Thats why we read books in school so we have the intelligence to understand stupid crap like that

I know how you feel, when my class read Romeo and Juliet, I was the only one who could understand it. That's pathetic, considering I'm also worst in English, I'm better with concreate logic. That is harsh over a B, because the only way you'll get better is by getting positive motivation.
"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Borg Collective
FènéethxAelita offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Location: Chimera rally in U.K., in Tamriel, kicking daedra ***, or in Lyoko, protecting Aelita (who else?)

Postby JesusFreak » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:05 pm

FènéethxAelita wrote:
ThePepsiPiper wrote:

I know how you feel, when my class read Romeo and Juliet, I was the only one who could understand it. That's pathetic, considering I'm also worst in English, I'm better with concreate logic. That is harsh over a B, because the only way you'll get better is by getting positive motivation.

Ack, that's why I'm homeschooled (No, I'm not some neo-Amish wacko who is completely withdrawn from life.). I need work-lots of it- In mathematics, but when It comes to a reading-heavy subject like Biology or, well, English, I excel.

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Yumi Ulrich » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Well it won't be that harsh, but I am not Chinease so your parents might be stricter. All I would say is just be ready for a good excuss.
................. lllll
...............llllllllllllll
..................lllll
..................lllll
98% OF TEENS WON'T STAND UP FOR GOD...
REPOST THIS iF YOU'RE ONE OF THE 2% WHO WILL.
Yumi Ulrich offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Location: I am in my own little world in my head during class during school fighting for my and everyones life

Postby . » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:03 pm

FènéethxAelita wrote:
ThePepsiPiper wrote:

truth be told the modernized english versions of shakespear are better to enjoy if you can find them. I'm smart just lazy <.<
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby FènéethxAelita » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:15 am

ThePepsiPiper wrote: Truth be told the modernized english versions of shakespear are better to enjoy if you can find them. I'm smart just lazy <.<

Lol, yeah, that's true.
"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE." - Borg Collective
FènéethxAelita offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Location: Chimera rally in U.K., in Tamriel, kicking daedra ***, or in Lyoko, protecting Aelita (who else?)