Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:49 pm

Jodi Forrest a.k.a. Elisabeth "Sissi" Delmas

Chat with the real-life actors who brought your favorite Code Lyoko characters to life!

Moderators: MG, kiwi, jerlita, mirabelle, Cher's Spare Parts, bambi, The Administrators, Moderators

Postby bambi » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:36 am

LothoFoxburr wrote:So what do you think that you have a job for another 2 seasons, moreover you get to keep being Sissi for another 45 episodes!

I feel great! We're all very excited. Of course they'll have to come up with the stories and draw them before we come into the picture. That'll probably take a while.

Cassius335 wrote:
LothoFoxburr wrote:So what do you think that you have a job for another 2 seasons, moreover you get to keep being Sissi for another 45 episodes!

Don't be so sure. They could decide to kill her off, after all.

Eeeeeeeks! What a horrible notion!

SamBlob wrote:
Cassius335 wrote: Don't be so sure. They could decide to kill her off, after all.

Possible, but not very likely.

Besides which, I don't think they're going to kill off Sissy, Mrs. Hertz, Nurse Dorothy/Yolande AND Mrs. Meyer...

Yeah! *sigh of relief*

lyokodude wrote:Killing off sissi would be a bigg mistake

Agreed!

TB3 wrote:On a lighter note - how do you feel Jodi about Sissi becomming more and more of a hero in recent episodes? Her defense of Milly in Attack of the Zombies and the vital role she played in Ultimatum spring to mind.

I love it! It was such a thrill for me to see she could be of help and actually wanted to be of help. I'm really very attached to her.

Agent_Marquez wrote:Hello, señorita Jodi Forrest. I'm Agent Marquez, the author of the story A Requiem To Our Homeland (avaiable at Big Kids Only). I am asking for your consent to put your comment about the story from what I have at my PM mailbox.

I hope to hear from you, hermosa señorita.

Agent Marquez, you have my consent!

Dearest Rodri, as to your remark about Columbine, good god, how upsetting! The horrible thing is that such an incident did happen and therefore is no longer inconceivable. Maybe you could do with a vacation from your studies, which I gather are pretty intense. ..
But passion lends them power, time means, to meet,
Temp'ring extremities with extreme sweet.
bambi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby Cassius335 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:31 am

bambi wrote:
Cassius335 wrote:

Don't be so sure. They could decide to kill her off, after all.

Eeeeeeeks! What a horrible notion!

Sorry, but the point had to be made. XANA could use a good killing...

Anyway, the question has probably been asked (I don't have time to check), but what do you think Sissi's Lyoko Mode would be like (assuming she got virtualised)?
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Agent_Marquez » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:01 pm

bambi wrote:
Agent_Marquez wrote:Hello, señorita Jodi Forrest. I'm Agent Marquez, the author of the story A Requiem To Our Homeland (avaiable at Big Kids Only). I am asking for your consent to put your comment about the story from what I have at my PM mailbox.

I hope to hear from you, hermosa señorita.

Agent Marquez, you have my consent!

:D

Very well then. I'm willing to let the LF members see that you appreciated the story. I hope you can check the 6th chapter before Halloween.
A Requiem To Our Homeland - Stand-by

Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.
- William Shakespeare
Agent_Marquez offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby MY85 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:37 pm

bambi wrote:Dearest Rodri, as to your remark about Columbine, good god, how upsetting! The horrible thing is that such an incident did happen and therefore is no longer inconceivable. Maybe you could do with a vacation from your studies, which I gather are pretty intense. ..

I'm terribly sorry if my idea of a Columbine Code Lyoko Episode dissapointed you. For real. I thought it would be a very wicked interesting idea. But thank God french don't think the same way as USA citizens do (no intentions of offending here, not all of you think or feel the same way the Columbine kids did when they were thinking to commit such disgrace).
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby bambi » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:00 am

TB3 wrote:
Cassius335 wrote:Anyway, the question has probably been asked (I don't have time to check), but what do you think Sissi's Lyoko Mode would be like (assuming she got virtualised)?

Hmm - given Sissi's role I'd say she'd probably get a cheerleader costume, maybe with some kind of ninja theme. I'm more interested in weapons and powers;

Weapon: Bo-staff, bit like her cheerleader baton but she can throw it through a monster's head, and of course it's similar to DARLING Ulrich's sword. ;)
Power: How about the ability to defy gravity for short bursts - do flying kicks and attacks that are beyond the other kids.

What d'ya think of these Jodi?

Star Way told me about a fan-fic where Sissi was a healer, which I thought was a very cool idea. It would add a third dimension to her character and bring the power of creation to Lyoko.

On the other hand it's true that a cheerleader/majorette role is much more in keeping with her desperate desire to be popular. Especially the part about having a weapon similar to Ulrich's. I think it's a GREAT idea.

Here's my contribution:
Costume - cat outfit with whiskers and tail
Weapon - blades of death (i.e., retractable slasher claws)
Power - the ability to explode monsters with her screeching yowly voice.
Vehicle - broomstick!

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:I'm terribly sorry if my idea of a Columbine Code Lyoko Episode dissapointed you. For real. I thought it would be a very wicked interesting idea. But thank God french don't think the same way as USA citizens do (no intentions of offending here, not all of you think or feel the same way the Columbine kids did when they were thinking to commit such disgrace).

Actually your idea didn't disappoint me, and in fact I agree it IS a "very wicked interesting idea." It's just so horrible! I also thank god the French don't think like Americans, and not just in reference to guns!
bambi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby MY85 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:10 am

bambi wrote:Here's my contribution:
Vehicle - broomstick!

Wicked!!

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:I'm terribly sorry if my idea of a Columbine Code Lyoko Episode dissapointed you. For real. I thought it would be a very wicked interesting idea. But thank God french don't think the same way as USA citizens do (no intentions of offending here, not all of you think or feel the same way the Columbine kids did when they were thinking to commit such disgrace).

Actually your idea didn't disappoint me, and in fact I agree it IS a "very wicked interesting idea." It's just so horrible! I also thank god the French don't think like Americans, and not just in reference to guns!

Yeah. I wonder if France has a state (or city) like Texas, where they slaughter peruvians. I'll say something about it later.
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Cassius335 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:23 am

bambi wrote:
TB3 wrote:
Cassius335 wrote:Anyway, the question has probably been asked (I don't have time to check), but what do you think Sissi's Lyoko Mode would be like (assuming she got virtualised)?

Hmm - given Sissi's role I'd say she'd probably get a cheerleader costume, maybe with some kind of ninja theme. I'm more interested in weapons and powers;

Weapon: Bo-staff, bit like her cheerleader baton but she can throw it through a monster's head, and of course it's similar to DARLING Ulrich's sword. ;)
Power: How about the ability to defy gravity for short bursts - do flying kicks and attacks that are beyond the other kids.

What d'ya think of these Jodi?

Star Way told me about a fan-fic where Sissi was a healer, which I thought was a very cool idea. It would add a third dimension to her character and bring the power of creation to Lyoko.

On the other hand it's true that a cheerleader/majorette role is much more in keeping with her desperate desire to be popular. Especially the part about having a weapon similar to Ulrich's. I think it's a GREAT idea.

Here's my contribution:
Vehicle - broomstick!

Odd's already got a Cat outfit, remember? Love the slasher claws, though. Sonic Scream power would probably have to be limited to the weaker monsters (No using it on a MegaTank or the Scizo-whatsit). Broomstick would suggest a witch more than a witches cat.

Maybe a Ninja Witch theme? Then you could have the claws AND the broomstick.

And... Hang on, maybe a Leech LP Power: She can take LP from the monsters and give it to one of the other kids (she can't use the LP herself)
Last edited by Cassius335 on Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby lyokodude » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:49 am

Cool idea
Behold Lyokodude has re-emerged from the darkness. I got tired of not being here. Lol.

Season 4 alert be prepared for it. Me adn my friend know everything about un-aired Avatar seasons. I want a moment to be real
lyokodude offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby bambi » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:44 am

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Yeah. I wonder if France has a state (or city) like Texas, where they slaughter peruvians. I'll say something about it later.

Whoa! I have GOT to hear about this!

Cassius335 wrote:Odd's already got a Cat outfit, remember? Love the slasher claws, though. Sonic Scream power would probably have to be limited to the weaker monsters (No using it on a MegaTank or the Scizo-whatsit). Broomstick would suggest a witch more than a witches cat.

Maybe a Ninja Witch theme? Then you could have the claws AND the broomstick.

And... Hang on, maybe a Leech LP Power: She can take LP from the monsters and give it to one of the other kids (she can't use the LP herself)

Yes, it did occur to me that Odd had a cat outfit. I (conveniently bolstering my own opinion) figured it would add an unexpected and disconcerting facet to their "relationship" (or lack thereof).

Leech LP Power sounds cool. I was also considering a Paralysis Spell...
bambi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby MY85 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:24 am

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Yeah. I wonder if France has a state (or city) like Texas, where they slaughter peruvians. I'll say something about it later.

Well, slaughtering was quite exagerated, but it was in my mind at the moment when I wrote it.

Well, where do I start? Let's take a turn into Miami. The city where USA essence has been completely murdered. A city infested with latinos mostly. Most of the latinos get treated like s**t at USA. Low-class people inmigrating (some as illegal, some not) to attempt getting a better life, get paid low, don't live well, try to input their culture, etc. Yet, latinas prostitution is well paid at Europe.

At one moment, they tried to forbid the Cubans (and many others from Center-American countries, but mostly Cubans) from gaining access to Miami through the sea, which is really risky and dangerous, through little boats. It was somehow like invading Miami in a illegal way. Among the inmigrants, one of the most important events was the case of the 8 year old kid (by 1998), Elian Gonzales, whom survived to it. I can't remember much of that case right now, but there was a lot of polemic about the kid and illegal inmigrants.

Many people has heard about mexicans invading the USA by the frontier. I won't rant much about it.

About the people from Colombia, most of them are discrimated as drug lords and as burriers.

About peruvians, the big colonies of peruvians in the USA are at New Jersey, Miami and Texas. But Texas lately has become quite a dangerous place for peruvians.

Months ago, two cops beaten up badly some peruvian. I can't remember the reasons why they beaten the peruvian, but he died due to the several hits he got.

Recently, a peruvain woman (working as a babysitter and maid) has been accused of murdering a baby. She says she was innocent, because the baby has fallen to the ground hitting his head, but the doctors said the hits in the head were more like damage provoked by a human being. That said, they locked up the peruvian woman and her fine was under $500000 (there's no way she would pay it) and she tried to get a lawyer to defend herself. But if I'm not mistaken, she has been sentenced to death.

Not only peruvians get treated badly just at USA, around the world as well. At Bolivia, Spain, Chile, etc. Not that much ago, a peruvian student got killed at Russia by skinheads, aka Neo-nazis. (I loved American History X, and I wished I was white).

Well, most of the peruvians who inmigrate to other countries aren't polite, well educated, broke... get the idea?

At one moment, I was questioning myself what was worse. Being born as peruvain and not from Lima (Peru's capital, thank God I was born there... some peruvians hate each others as well), being born at Colombia, being born at Africa (and not from Egypt or South Africa, I mean poor countries) or being a black person from Bronx, Harlem or some other poor zone?

In the end, countries do have their discrimination. People from Germany hate Turkey people; USA people hate n*****s, Afghans and Iraquies; Chileans hate peruvians; English people hate Indians and Pakistan people (this last, I got the idea from Bend It Like Beckham)... the world is messed up.

Sorry for this long rant... enjoy reading it?
MY85 offline

Postby Cassius335 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:36 am

bambi wrote:Leech LP Power sounds cool. I was also considering a Paralysis Spell...

Might work, yeah.
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby SamBlob » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:50 am

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:
bambi wrote:

Well, slaughtering was quite exagerated, but it was in my mind at the moment when I wrote it.

Well, where do I start? Let's take a turn into Miami. The city where USA essence has been completely murdered. A city infested with latinos mostly. Most of the latinos get treated like s**t at USA. Low-class people inmigrating (some as illegal, some not) to attempt getting a better life, get paid low, don't live well, try to input their culture, etc. Yet, latinas prostitution is well paid at Europe.

At one moment, they tried to forbid the Cubans (and many others from Center-American countries, but mostly Cubans) from gaining access to Miami through the sea, which is really risky and dangerous, through little boats. It was somehow like invading Miami in a illegal way. Among the inmigrants, one of the most important events was the case of the 8 year old kid (by 1998), Elian Gonzales, whom survived to it. I can't remember much of that case right now, but there was a lot of polemic about the kid and illegal inmigrants.

Many people has heard about mexicans invading the USA by the frontier. I won't rant much about it.

About the people from Colombia, most of them are discrimated as drug lords and as burriers.

About peruvians, the big colonies of peruvians in the USA are at New Jersey, Miami and Texas. But Texas lately has become quite a dangerous place for peruvians.

Months ago, two cops beaten up badly some peruvian. I can't remember the reasons why they beaten the peruvian, but he died due to the several hits he got.

Recently, a peruvain woman (working as a babysitter and maid) has been accused of murdering a baby. She says she was innocent, because the baby has fallen to the ground hitting his head, but the doctors said the hits in the head were more like damage provoked by a human being. That said, they locked up the peruvian woman and her fine was under $500000 (there's no way she would pay it) and she tried to get a lawyer to defend herself. But if I'm not mistaken, she has been sentenced to death.

Not only peruvians get treated badly just at USA, around the world as well. At Bolivia, Spain, Chile, etc. Not that much ago, a peruvian student got killed at Russia by skinheads, aka Neo-nazis. (I loved American History X, and I wished I was white).

Well, most of the peruvians who inmigrate to other countries aren't polite, well educated, broke... get the idea?

At one moment, I was questioning myself what was worse. Being born as peruvain and not from Lima (Peru's capital, thank God I was born there... some peruvians hate each others as well), being born at Colombia, being born at Africa (and not from Egypt or South Africa, I mean poor countries) or being a black person from Bronx, Harlem or some other poor zone?

In the end, countries do have their discrimination. People from Germany hate Turkey people; USA people hate n*****s, Afghans and Iraquies; Chileans hate peruvians; English people hate Indians and Pakistan people (this last, I got the idea from Bend It Like Beckham)... the world is messed up.

Sorry for this long rant... enjoy reading it?

Not really.

You actually *want* to be a skinhead? O_o Being part Jewish and several parts black, I shudder at the thought. Pretty ironic, though. that you as you want to be would have no problem with killing you as you are...

Jamaicans think I am white, and it sucks, generally.

Downside to being black in Jamaica:

No rights. Whatsoever. The police can kill you, put a gun in your dead hand, and claim that you opened fire on them and they returned fire. "Jamaicans For Justice" may make inquiries, but they have been generally reviled by the public, who have been led to believe that "human rights a' jus' som'n' to mek criminals get 'way"

A self-hating culture, which states that black people can't be trusted. This becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy and a vicious cycle.

A vulgar culture which promotes ignorance, promiscuity and violence. If you're not into it, you are ostracized and targetted.

Downside to not being black in Jamaica:

Everyone automatically assumes you have money and comes to beg you (or worse, to rob you).

You are automatically labelled as an oppressor and an outsider.

If you look white, people assume you are a foreigner, especially an American.

I guess one upside to not being black is that you are less likely to be beaten or killed by the police, mainly because they think you might be related to someone with money and influence... even moreso when you have the same surname as an influential family to which you are not related... But does that really make up for not being welcome in the only country you belong to?
My LF family:
Mother: StarWay
FairlyOddSister: CBIzumi
Awesome little sister: Mewberries151
Big sister with whom I often quarrel: Linii-chan
Mad scientist little brother: X1
Favourite cousin: Ransomed_Heart
Keeper of heraldic arms: Doggiegal (actually, I do my own coat of arms now...)

all welcome in Room#420
SamBlob offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby MY85 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:31 am

SamBlob wrote:You actually *want* to be a skinhead? O_o Being part Jewish and several parts black, I shudder at the thought. Pretty ironic, though. that you as you want to be would have no problem with killing you as you are...

I didn't said I wanted to be a skinhead. I liked that movie, it was awesome, but I wouldn't like to live the concept of being a skinhead with the people Danny Vinyard (Edward Norton's characther in that movie) had to deal with (especially his white fat friend), even worse to deal with jail. I just said I wish I was white, and that's all. There's a bunch of advantages for it... but I admit it also has its disadvantages.

However, I think there's kind of an advantage for latinos to be black, when you go travel to USA, at the airport. They might assume you're from USA, maybe. But being brown... well, that's another story. If you're poor, then you're screwed.

SamBlob also wrote:A self-hating culture, which states that black people can't be trusted. This becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy and a vicious cycle.

A vulgar culture which promotes ignorance, promiscuity and violence. If you're not into it, you are ostracized and targetted.

True. The last point is mostly why black people get discriminated or hated, even if some aren't that way.

He also wrote:If you look white, people assume you are a foreigner, especially an American.

I look in the face first instead of making assumptions.

Edit: I'm not jewish. And sorry for bringing all this discussion, Jodi.
MY85 offline

Postby bambi » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:16 am

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Many people has heard about mexicans invading the USA by the frontier. I won't rant much about it.

Yes, and how many people remember that most of the American southwest was stolen from Mexico? (not to mention the rest of the country being stolen from the Native Americans).

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Months ago, two cops beaten up badly some peruvian. I can't remember the reasons why they beaten the peruvian, but he died due to the several hits he got.

Well, there you have it. It's amazing to think that the basic laws of one's country don't apply to the police. Doesn't that make them legalized criminals?

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:In the end, countries do have their discrimination. People from Germany hate Turkey people; USA people hate n*****s, Afghans and Iraquies; Chileans hate peruvians; English people hate Indians and Pakistan people (this last, I got the idea from Bend It Like Beckham)... the world is messed up.

I must agree with you. People hate other people because they're afraid of them, and this fear is constantly being nurtured by the (excuse the expression, but for want of a better term) ruling classes through their religious leaders, politicians, and media. Divide and conquer. Your basic strategy for global (and local) domination.

SamBlob wrote:Downside to being black in Jamaica:

No rights. Whatsoever. The police can kill you, put a gun in your dead hand, and claim that you opened fire on them and they returned fire.

The fist without the velvet glove.

SamBlob wrote:A self-hating culture, which states that black people can't be trusted. This becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy and a vicious cycle.

Welcome to the legacy of colonialism and slavery.

SamBlob wrote:Downside to not being black in Jamaica:

Everyone automatically assumes you have money and comes to beg you (or worse, to rob you).

Reverse discrimination. Americans have a nasty history of genocide, slavery and swaggering domination, so it's no surprise people don't trust them. Believe me, I know.

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:I just said I wish I was white, and that's all. There's a bunch of advantages for it... but I admit it also has its disadvantages.

God, Rodri, it breaks my heart to hear you say that. But I can't blame you.

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:But being brown... well, that's another story. If you're poor, then you're screwed.

Alas. What a cruel world.

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:And sorry for bringing all this discussion, Jodi.

Please don't be sorry. You know you can say whatever you want here.
bambi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby SamBlob » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:28 am

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Many people has heard about mexicans invading the USA by the frontier. I won't rant much about it.

Yes, and how many people remember that most of the American southwest was stolen from Mexico? (not to mention the rest of the country being stolen from the Native Americans).

Yep, the Americans went over the border into Tejas and then revolted, forming the Republic of Texas, which President Houston then sold out to the US. (He had also approached the British to have Texas become a British Protectorate, but it is believe he did that to divide his enemies in Washington so that his friends would get Texas annexed)

Similar situation with the Bear Flag Republic in California. At least they bought some of Arizona and New Mexico from Mexico in the Gasden Purchase.

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Months ago, two cops beaten up badly some peruvian. I can't remember the reasons why they beaten the peruvian, but he died due to the several hits he got.

Well, there you have it. It's amazing to think that the basic laws of one's country don't apply to the police. Doesn't that make them legalized criminals?

I have long said that, generally, a Jamaican policeman is basically a gunman with a badge. There are some exceptions, though.

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:In the end, countries do have their discrimination. People from Germany hate Turkey people; USA people hate n*****s, Afghans and Iraquies; Chileans hate peruvians; English people hate Indians and Pakistan people (this last, I got the idea from Bend It Like Beckham)... the world is messed up.

I must agree with you. People hate other people because they're afraid of them, and this fear is constantly being nurtured by the (excuse the expression, but for want of a better term) ruling classes through their religious leaders, politicians, and media. Divide and conquer. Your basic strategy for global (and local) domination.

The only comment I can think of is to say that I agree.

bambi wrote:
SamBlob wrote:Downside to being black in Jamaica:

No rights. Whatsoever. The police can kill you, put a gun in your dead hand, and claim that you opened fire on them and they returned fire.

The fist without the velvet glove.

Very much so.

bambi wrote:
SamBlob wrote:A self-hating culture, which states that black people can't be trusted. This becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy and a vicious cycle.

Welcome to the legacy of colonialism and slavery.

No big welcome for me; I've lived in it all my life. The shackles left the feet in 1838, but they still haven't left the mind.

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
None but ourselves can free our minds!"
- from Redemption Song by Bob Marley

Bob Marley is like the Bible: everybody talks about him and nobody listens to him. Ever heard the Survival album? It's a rather harsher album than his more popular Exodus and Kaya and to most of Bob' First World fans would probably sound more like Peter Tosh than like Bob Marley.

bambi wrote:
SamBlob wrote:Downside to not being black in Jamaica:

Reverse discrimination. Americans have a nasty history of genocide, slavery and swaggering domination, so it's no surprise people don't trust them. Believe me, I know.

I think one of the things that make communication difficult is that what America shows of itself to Americans is not what America shows of itself to the rest of the world, and therefore Americans think it inconceivable that non-Americans think so badly of America. Two entirely different realities.

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:I just said I wish I was white, and that's all. There's a bunch of advantages for it... but I admit it also has its disadvantages.

God, Rodri, it breaks my heart to hear you say that. But I can't blame you.

One advantage of being thoroughly mixed is that one doesn't really have any allegiances and has a clearer view of all sides (or so I think, anyway; I am probably wrong in this regard...)

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:But being brown... well, that's another story. If you're poor, then you're screwed.

Alas. What a cruel world.

Well, Rodri, don't think too much of it. There are white people starving in the US, too...

"Those who've got shall get, those who've not shall lose,
'Swhat the Bible says, and you know it's still the news..."
-from God Bless The Child by Billie Holliday

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:And sorry for bringing all this discussion, Jodi.

Please don't be sorry. You know you can say whatever you want here.

Ever been to the BKO forum here? :D
My LF family:

all welcome in Room#420
SamBlob offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby MY85 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:55 am

bambi wrote:

Let's not forget that the Irish and lower class people escaped from the United Kingdom (IIRC) for evading taxes and other stuff. Thanks to them, the USA was born. Another thing was to invade the Native America.

For SouthAmerica's case and Mexico, you can go blame Spain. And for Brazil, they got invaded by Portugal. But there's some advantages of being invaded first, and then the independence. God, if Peru was the same country like 400 years ago, I would really hate it. But as I've heard: Peru is a hobo that sits in a golden bench.

bambi wrote:Well, there you have it. It's amazing to think that the basic laws of one's country don't apply to the police. Doesn't that make them legalized criminals?

Rules were made to be broken, somehow. Not only cops are legalized criminals, but politicians and corporate pigs and other sorts of genocides.

bambi wrote:I must agree with you. People hate other people because they're afraid of them, and this fear is constantly being nurtured by the (excuse the expression, but for want of a better term) ruling classes through their religious leaders, politicians, and media. Divide and conquer. Your basic strategy for global (and local) domination.

Agreed.

bambi wrote:Welcome to the legacy of colonialism and slavery.

Hehe... the Dutch started the slavery, if I'm not wrong.

bambi wrote:Reverse discrimination. Americans have a nasty history of genocide, slavery and swaggering domination, so it's no surprise people don't trust them. Believe me, I know.

Not only USA. Germany, Spain... well, basically the G-8.

bambi wrote:God, Rodri, it breaks my heart to hear you say that. But I can't blame you.

Oh... that reply was to SamBlob, because he thought I wanted to be a skinhead.

SamBlob wrote:
bambi wrote:Please don't be sorry. You know you can say whatever you want here.

Ever been to the BKO forum here? :D

IIRC, Jodi posted twice at BKO. BKO is crazy, and gives a different twist of what CL fans really are. :rofl: *smacks himself*

SamBlob wrote:Bob Marley is like the Bible: everybody talks about him and nobody listens to him.

Bob Marley seems to the world like a good pretext to smoke pot. True that not many (myself included, I don't listen much to Marley) listen to him deeply.

SamBlob wrote:One advantage of being thoroughly mixed is that one doesn't really have any allegiances and has a clearer view of all sides (or so I think, anyway; I am probably wrong in this regard...)

Kinda true, but there's a price for it as well.

SamBlob wrote:Well, Rodri, don't think too much of it. There are white people starving in the US, too...

Yeah, I know. But some USA people have the philosophy of "I only have to care about myself, the other can go bugger off". Not all of them, anyways.
MY85 offline

Postby SamBlob » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:47 pm

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:
bambi wrote:Welcome to the legacy of colonialism and slavery.

Hehe... the Dutch started the slavery, if I'm not wrong.

Slavery, as such, has been around throughout history. The Mosaic Books of the Bible include rules for the proper treatment of slaves. Sparta was as militaristic as it was because slaves heavily outnumbered free Spartans. Rome was built with slave labour. All this before anyone ever heard of the Americas.

As for the Afro-American slave trade, the Dutch didn't have many American possessions beyond Suriname, and I'm not sure where they would have had in Africa. The Portuguese had Brazil, with numerous plantations, and also had several footholds in Africa; they sound more likely to have started the Afro-American slave trade. Of course, the English went into it in a BIG way, and the Americans in the US inherited this system when they threw the English out.

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:
SamBlob wrote:Bob Marley is like the Bible: everybody talks about him and nobody listens to him.

Bob Marley seems to the world like a good pretext to smoke pot. True that not many (myself included, I don't listen much to Marley) listen to him deeply.

Not in the Caribbean and not in Africa. There (and here...) Bob Marley is a voice of upliftment, of uprising, of revolution. The First World (Europe, North America and Japan) sees Bob Marley as some sort of guru preaching peace, love and herb. That's what Chris Blackwell wants them to see. He doesn't want them to see the Bob Marley who wrote and sang:

"So if a fire, mek it bu'n, if a blood, mek it run..." - from "Revolution", from the album Natty Dread by Bob Marley and the Wailers

"Then they say that we are free,
Only to be chained in poverty.
Good God! I think this illiteracy
Is only a machine to make money!"
- from "Slave Driver" from the album Catch A Fire by Bob Marley and the Wailers

"So arm in arm, with arms, we fight this little struggle" - from "Zimbabwe" from the album Survival by Bob Marley and the Wailers

"Never let a politician do you a favour,
They only want to control, control you forever..." - from "Revolution", from the album Natty Dread by Bob Marley and the Wailers

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:
SamBlob wrote:One advantage of being thoroughly mixed is that one doesn't really have any allegiances and has a clearer view of all sides (or so I think, anyway; I am probably wrong in this regard...)

Kinda true, but there's a price for it as well.

Everything has its cost. "Ain't nothin' free; even the birds are chained to the sky!" - Bob Dylan, later paraphrased and used in "Ballad in Plain D" from the album Another Side of Bob Dylan
My LF family:

all welcome in Room#420
SamBlob offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby bambi » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:07 am

SamBlob wrote:
bambi wrote: Welcome to the legacy of colonialism and slavery.

No big welcome for me; I've lived in it all my life. The shackles left the feet in 1838, but they still haven't left the mind.

Isn't it ironic? The only things we have total control over (our thoughts) are the only things chained to the past.

SamBlob wrote:"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!

Bob Marley is like the Bible: everybody talks about him and nobody listens to him. Ever heard the Survival album? It's a rather harsher album than his more popular Exodus and Kaya and to most of Bob' First World fans would probably sound more like Peter Tosh than like Bob Marley.

Ah! Bob Marley. No, I've never listened to the Survival album. I had Natty Dread, which I LOVED (especially So Jah Seh).

"First World", huh? I haven't heard that expression in a long time...

SamBlob wrote:I think one of the things that make communication difficult is that what America shows of itself to Americans is not what America shows of itself to the rest of the world, and therefore Americans think it inconceivable that non-Americans think so badly of America. Two entirely different realities.

I couldn't agree more.

SamBlob wrote:Well, Rodri, don't think too much of it. There are white people starving in the US, too...

In Appalachia?

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Let's not forget that the Irish and lower class people escaped from the United Kingdom (IIRC) for evading taxes and other stuff. Thanks to them, the USA was born. Another thing was to invade the Native America.

The Irish immigrated to America because they were starving (the infamous "potato famine") thanks to the English invasion.

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:For SouthAmerica's case and Mexico, you can go blame Spain. And for Brazil, they got invaded by Portugal. But there's some advantages of being invaded first, and then the independence. God, if Peru was the same country like 400 years ago, I would really hate it. But as I've heard: Peru is a hobo that sits in a golden bench.

Does that mean Peru is a poor country with lots of potential riches?

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:
bambi wrote:Well, there you have it. It's amazing to think that the basic laws of one's country don't apply to the police. Doesn't that make them legalized criminals?

Rules were made to be broken, somehow. Not only cops are legalized criminals, but politicians and corporate pigs and other sorts of genocides.

Agreed.

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:
bambi wrote:Americans have a nasty history of genocide, slavery and swaggering domination, so it's no surprise people don't trust them. Believe me, I know.

Not only USA. Germany, Spain... well, basically the G-8.

Can't argue with that.

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:But some USA people have the philosophy of "I only have to care about myself, the other can go bugger off". Not all of them, anyways.

Sad, but true. Americans are taught to be short-sighted (profits now!) and self-serving ("après-moi le déluge"). It's just a given there.

SamBlob wrote:As for the Afro-American slave trade, the Dutch didn't have many American possessions beyond Suriname, and I'm not sure where they would have had in Africa.

However, the Dutch were by far the biggest slave traders in the 17th century.
bambi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby MY85 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:46 am

bambi wrote:Isn't it ironic? The only things we have total control over (our thoughts) are the only things chained to the past.

I agree.

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Let's not forget that the Irish and lower class people escaped from the United Kingdom (IIRC) for evading taxes and other stuff. Thanks to them, the USA was born. Another thing was to invade the Native America.

The Irish immigrated to America because they were starving (the infamous "potato famine") thanks to the English invasion.

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:For SouthAmerica's case and Mexico, you can go blame Spain. And for Brazil, they got invaded by Portugal. But there's some advantages of being invaded first, and then the independence. God, if Peru was the same country like 400 years ago, I would really hate it. But as I've heard: Peru is a hobo that sits in a golden bench.

Poor country, yeah. Like 50% of the total population is broke, many people lose their jobs, corrupt government, etc.
Oh, and for the last thing I've said, it goes like Peru's is exploited by richer countries, but not by Peru itself. Many companies had made themselves richer thanks to Peru's natural resources. One of them, Goodyear.

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:But some USA people have the philosophy of "I only have to care about myself, the other can go bugger off". Not all of them, anyways.

Sad, but true. Americans are taught to be short-sighted (profits now!) and self-serving ("après-moi le déluge"). It's just a given there.

Agreed.

bambi wrote:However, the Dutch were by far the biggest slave traders in the 17th century.

True.

Wow, from maltreating latinos, to skinheads, to politicians, slavery, history... I kind of think the Jodi Forrest thread could deserve to be hold at Big Kids Only. Nah, just kidding...
MY85 offline

Postby SamBlob » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:16 am

bambi wrote:
SamBlob wrote:
bambi wrote: Welcome to the legacy of colonialism and slavery.

Isn't it ironic? The only things we have total control over (our thoughts) are the only things chained to the past.

Indeed.

bambi wrote:
SamBlob wrote:"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!

Ah! Bob Marley. No, I've never listened to the Survival album. I had Natty Dread, which I LOVED (especially So Jah Seh).

Let's see if I remember: Natty Dread had on it:

Lively Up Yourself
Natty Dread
So Jah Seh (not one of my seed shall sit on the sidewalk and beg bread, no they can't and you know that they won't... :) thanks for reminding me of that one)
3 O'Clock Roadblock
Talkin' Blues
Dem Belly Full (But We Hungry)
Revolution
... and three other songs I can't remember and will hit my forehead when I am reminded of them...

bambi wrote: "First World", huh? I haven't heard that expression in a long time...

It's used all the time here...

bambi wrote:

In Appalachia?

Yes, but also in the city streets, under bridges, etc.

bambi wrote:

bambi wrote:

Hmm..."après-moi le déluge"... the motto of the 617 Squadron of the RAF, the Dam Busters who successfully bombed the Mohne Dam, knocking out a significant portion of Germany's hydro power.

bambi wrote:
SamBlob wrote:As for the Afro-American slave trade, the Dutch didn't have many American possessions beyond Suriname, and I'm not sure where they would have had in Africa.

However, the Dutch were by far the biggest slave traders in the 17th century.

I did not know that. Middlemen only, or end users as well? (I realize that's a somewhat callous way of putting it, but I'm not sure how else the question can be asked...)
My LF family:

all welcome in Room#420
SamBlob offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby bambi » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:27 am

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:
bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:But as I've heard: Peru is a hobo that sits in a golden bench.

Poor country, yeah. Like 50% of the total population is broke, many people lose their jobs, corrupt government, etc.
Oh, and for the last thing I've said, it goes like Peru's is exploited by richer countries, but not by Peru itself. Many companies had made themselves richer thanks to Peru's natural resources. One of them, Goodyear.

Thanks for elucidating. Sounds like Peru is in the same boat as alot of Third World countries: plenty of riches being syphoned off to YouKnowWho.

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Wow, from maltreating latinos, to skinheads, to politicians, slavery, history... I kind of think the Jodi Forrest thread could deserve to be hold at Big Kids Only. Nah, just kidding...

Hope I don't get into trouble for this!

SamBlob wrote:So Jah Seh (not one of my seed shall sit on the sidewalk and beg bread, no they can't and you know that they won't... :) thanks for reminding me of that one)

My pleasure.

SamBlob wrote:
bambi wrote:
SamBlob wrote:There are white people starving in the US, too...

In Appalachia?

Yes, of course.

SamBlob wrote:Hmm..."après-moi le déluge"... the motto of the 617 Squadron of the RAF, the Dam Busters who successfully bombed the Mohne Dam, knocking out a significant portion of Germany's hydro power.

Apparantly the phrase originated with Madame de Pompadour, the very powerful mistress of a very ineffectual Louis XV.

SamBlob wrote:
bambi wrote:However, the Dutch were by far the biggest slave traders in the 17th century.

I did not know that. Middlemen only, or end users as well? (I realize that's a somewhat callous way of putting it, but I'm not sure how else the question can be asked...)

Middlemen, mostly, I believe, but I'm not sure. They did own slaves in New Amsterdam (now New York City) in the early 1600's. Apparantly, it was somewhat like indentured servitude, since the slaves were granted their freedom and a plot of land after a certain number of years. So there were small communities of free Afro-Americans living in what was to become NYC in the middle of the 17th century.

The Dutch also owned slaves in South Africa starting at that time.
bambi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby MY85 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:07 am

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:
bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:But as I've heard: Peru is a hobo that sits in a golden bench.

Thanks for elucidating. Sounds like Peru is in the same boat as alot of Third World countries: plenty of riches being syphoned off to YouKnowWho.

Let's see... you pay more for beer in Peru (thank God for AmBev, j/k) than in other countries from South America, pay more for medicine, what else? Sorry I don't have much examples in mind. I'm not really a good example for describing Peru's situation.

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Wow, from maltreating latinos, to skinheads, to politicians, slavery, history... I kind of think the Jodi Forrest thread could deserve to be hold at Big Kids Only. Nah, just kidding...

Hahaha... it's ok, though. This thread has really been capturing my attention lately. *hugs Jodi*

SamBlob wrote:
bambi wrote:

In Appalachia?

I've seen worse (around Peru). Thank God Peru's not like Africa.

bambi wrote:Middlemen, mostly, I believe, but I'm not sure. They did own slaves in New Amsterdam (now New York City) in the early 1600's. Apparantly, it was somewhat like indentured servitude, since the slaves were granted their freedom and a plot of land after a certain number of years. So there were small communities of free Afro-Americans living in what was to become NYC in the middle of the 17th century.

Sounds interesting. I wonder what was African community like before many european countries invaded each country and colony.

Before Spain invaded Peru (1532), well the throne for the Inca (maximum authority, like a president) at the Tahuantinsuyo (Google it, I'm lazy to explain right now) was on debate between Huascar (legitimate son from the 11th Inca and his wife) and Atahualpa (whose mother was a concubine, but had same father as Huascar). Atahualpa was claiming for the throne, fights began. Huascar got locked, Atahualpa became an Inca and when the spanish invaded, it wasn't just a good moment for the Tahuantinsuyo. Besides, the spanish had guns and other advanced weapons, and brought to the country deseases the peruvians didn't knew about.

bambi wrote:The Dutch also owned slaves in South Africa starting at that time.

Pretty much explains the number of black people from Netherlands.ç

An evidence of exploiting slaves: NFL. It could stand (for this case) as N***a F***ing Large. (I've heard that from Chris Rock: Never Scared in 2004... he rocks)

Can't wait for the reply.
MY85 offline

Postby bambi » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:43 am

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:
bambi wrote:

Hahaha... it's ok, though. This thread has really been capturing my attention lately. *hugs Jodi*

*big smile* *hugs Rodri*

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:
SamBlob wrote:
bambi wrote:

In Appalachia?

I've seen worse (around Peru). Thank God Peru's not like Africa.

Good god, you guys don't have great numbers of homeless children living in the streets like they do in Brazil do you? I would guess the Native Americans aren't cherished citizens either.

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Sounds interesting. I wonder what was African community like before many european countries invaded each country and colony.

Tribal societies most likely, although that's not being very specific.

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Before Spain invaded Peru (1532), well the throne for the Inca (maximum authority, like a president) at the Tahuantinsuyo (Google it, I'm lazy to explain right now) was on debate between Huascar (legitimate son from the 11th Inca and his wife) and Atahualpa (whose mother was a concubine, but had same father as Huascar). Atahualpa was claiming for the throne, fights began. Huascar got locked, Atahualpa became an Inca and when the spanish invaded, it wasn't just a good moment for the Tahuantinsuyo. Besides, the spanish had guns and other advanced weapons, and brought to the country deseases the peruvians didn't knew about.

Found this on the internet: "TAHUANTINSUYO - The greatest and oldest empire, developed on the American continent with the city of Cusco as its headquarters, goes back to the year 1200 B.C. The word Tawantinsuyo comes from a name composed by two Quechua terms: Tawa, which means four; and Suyo, which means State. The territory area of the Empire was enormous, it occupied over 3'000,000 Km2 and it also encompassed 5000 km (3,107 miles) of coast over the Pacific Ocean, which currently represents the double of the Peruvian area."

Very impressive! I guess all empires must fall, which at least gives us hope that today's bullies will end up in the dust heap of history (if they don't drag everybody down with them).

From what I remember of my history classes, the Spanish were particularly brutal "colonizers", actually more like savage mass murderers. I guess they were after gold, and were no longer in their "civilized" home country, where such behavior would have been impossible (although one can't help but think of the Spanish Inquisition...). It's difficult (well, not diffcult, perhaps "unrealistic" is a better word) to judge past atrocities by today's moral standards, but the atrocities continue (Bosnia, Rwanda, starving, homeless children...) today. You just can't keep from wondering what on earth is wrong with human beings.

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:An evidence of exploiting slaves: NFL. It could stand (for this case) as N***a F***ing Large. (I've heard that from Chris Rock: Never Scared in 2004... he rocks)

Hah hah!

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Can't wait for the reply.

You got it, man.
bambi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby MY85 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:55 am

Okay, let's spend my 4000th post here. It will be worthy, though. Eventually, Star Way will reach 3000 and x1 will reach 4000. SamBlob is going for 2000 and it seems most likely that Dylan0513 will reach 1000 posts before Paige does (given the way he's going, although Paige's first days were almost like 800 posts in 15 days), or maybe Paige or Mewberries151 could reach it.

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:
bambi wrote:

*big smile* *hugs Rodri*

Oh, that's cool!!

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:I've seen worse (around Peru). Thank God Peru's not like Africa.

Good god, you guys don't have great numbers of homeless children living in the streets like they do in Brazil do you? I would guess the Native Americans aren't cherished citizens either.

You've seen Cidade de Deus (City of God, very awesome movie btw)? Well, peruvians are more messed up. And yes, there's homeless children (natives, in the streets, etc.). It's sad, and I might gonna sound like an idiot, but sometimes these children can get annoying (begging you for money and trying to sell candies) and sometimes turn into delinquents. If Peru had Bush for president, he might as well get rid of those children and the hobos by sending them to Iraq. And if USA had a peruvian president, they would steal more money than they ever would in their lives.

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Sounds interesting. I wonder what was African community like before many european countries invaded each country and colony.

Tribal societies most likely, although that's not being very specific.

The bad thing with the past is that it's never specific.

bambi wrote:Very impressive! I guess all empires must fall, which at least gives us hope that today's bullies will end up in the dust heap of history (if they don't drag everybody down with them).

From what I remember of my history classes, the Spanish were particularly brutal "colonizers", actually more like savage mass murderers. I guess they were after gold, and were no longer in their "civilized" home country, where such behavior would have been impossible (although one can't help but think of the Spanish Inquisition...). It's difficult (well, not diffcult, perhaps "unrealistic" is a better word) to judge past atrocities by today's moral standards, but the atrocities continue (Bosnia, Rwanda, starving, homeless children...) today. You just can't keep from wondering what on earth is wrong with human beings.

Yeah, Spanish were mass murderers, and very good at it. With the pretext of evangelization, they go conquer and slaughter and invade countries. It would be interesting to figure out how USA would be nowadays if Spain would had hit on them centuries ago.

The atrocites continue, indeed. Not only by big genocides, but also the little ones are helping on it. All with different ambitions, for sure.

bambi wrote:
RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Can't wait for the reply.

You got it, man.
[/quote]

Thank you very much.
MY85 offline

PreviousNext