Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 pm

Barbara Weber-Scaff a.k.a. Ulrich Stern (and Kiwi )

Chat with the real-life actors who brought your favorite Code Lyoko characters to life!

Moderators: MG, kiwi, jerlita, mirabelle, Cher's Spare Parts, bambi, The Administrators, Moderators

Postby FormicaArchonis » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:46 am

kiwi wrote:
Ulrich Stern. wrote:Um, the barking thing might be a little strange. I could just imagine the look on the postmans face if you did that. Postman = :omg:

:)

I meant behind the door, so they couldn't see me doing it! That way they'd think I had a vicious bull terrier ( a cartoon one at that!) somewhere on the premises...

And if they did see you do it, you'd get a reputation as "The crazy lady who thinks she's a dog." Which will scare people away more than an actual dog would!:)
FormicaArchonis offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Location: A basement. Your basement, my basement, I don't know. But I'm sure it's a basement.

Postby kiwi » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:16 am

Agent_Marquez wrote:Hello, Mrs. Weber-Scaff.

Seeing how there's animal voicing talk... was Kiwi your first time into voicing any kind of animals? And have you ever tried voicing other kinds of animals?

Interesting... do you dislike the Break Break Break Dance song, Barbara?

Recently I voiced the role of a monkey named Foton for the Invisible Man series- he was a main character...with no lines! Kiwi, however, was my first major reoccuring animal role!

and , while I don't actually dislike the BreakBreak Dance song, I guess you could say that, like Ulrich, it drives me up the wall!
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby kiwi » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:19 am

FormicaArchonis wrote:
kiwi wrote:
Ulrich Stern. wrote:Um, the barking thing might be a little strange. I could just imagine the look on the postmans face if you did that. Postman = :omg:

:)

I meant behind the door, so they couldn't see me doing it! That way they'd think I had a vicious bull terrier ( a cartoon one at that!) somewhere on the premises...

And if they did see you do it, you'd get a reputation as "The crazy lady who thinks she's a dog." Which will scare people away more than an actual dog would!:)

that's an idea... but I already have that reputation amongst my closest friends, so... ;)
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby FormicaArchonis » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:40 am

kiwi wrote:
FormicaArchonis wrote:And if they did see you do it, you'd get a reputation as "The crazy lady who thinks she's a dog." Which will scare people away more than an actual dog would!:)

that's an idea... but I already have that reputation amongst my closest friends, so... ;)

So you can't really make things worse, huh?:)

And I'm sorry, but I saw this today and I immediately thought of you:

Dutch Family Taxed for Barking Doorbell
FormicaArchonis offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Location: A basement. Your basement, my basement, I don't know. But I'm sure it's a basement.

Postby kiwi » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:04 pm

FormicaArchonis wrote:
kiwi wrote:
FormicaArchonis wrote:And if they did see you do it, you'd get a reputation as "The crazy lady who thinks she's a dog." Which will scare people away more than an actual dog would!:)

Funny article. Here in france there's a tax for watching TV. Tomorrow i'm having the whole CL gang over for a get together to watch an episode or two and eat homemade chili and corn bread. Maybe we'll all get on line here and say hello. :hello:
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby Skorpigeist » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:45 pm

kiwi wrote:
FormicaArchonis wrote:
kiwi wrote:

Funny article. Here in france there's a tax for watching TV. Tomorrow i'm having the whole CL gang over for a get together to watch an episode or two and eat homemade chili and corn bread. Maybe we'll all get on line here and say hello. :hello:

that sounds like a fun time. I wanted to pop in with a quick question. the first time you ever heard your voice comming out of a character, did it sound strange or was it more like..ok?

and there is a tax for watching tv in France? wow
Skorpigeist offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby FormicaArchonis » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:47 pm

kiwi wrote:Tomorrow i'm having the whole CL gang over for a get together to watch an episode or two and eat homemade chili and corn bread.

Cool!:)

kiwi wrote:Maybe we'll all get on line here and say hello. :hello:

I can see it now: Every voice actor posts during a lull when no one's online. Three hours later, there's a bunch of fans staring at their screens and wondering what just happened.

Suddenly I'm getting flashbacks to Jodi's thread and all my talk of flash mobs.:)

Skorpigeist wrote:and there is a tax for watching tv in France? wow

Probably not much different than the Beeb's License fee. Wonder if, like the BBC, it's half price if you're blind?
FormicaArchonis offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Ulrich Stern. » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:16 pm

kiwi wrote:Funny article. Here in france there's a tax for watching TV. Tomorrow i'm having the whole CL gang over for a get together to watch an episode or two and eat homemade chili and corn bread. Maybe we'll all get on line here and say hello. :hello:

Hey, that sounds great! When your done watching the episodes you can tell us all what you guys thought of them. :D My personal favorites are Revelation and The Key. Mostley because they had the most action and explained the most. Though I liked all the season 2 episodes for one reason or another. :) If you guys get to the one where Odd and Yumi switch bodies you can all have a good laugh at how confusing it gets for the characters. It may have been hard to do that episode but it turned out great. 8)

Ulrich Stern. offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TB3 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:52 pm

kiwi wrote:Funny article. Here in france there's a tax for watching TV. Tomorrow i'm having the whole CL gang over for a get together to watch an episode or two and eat homemade chili and corn bread. Maybe we'll all get on line here and say hello. :hello:

Hehe - have fun Barbara ;)
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kiwi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:07 am

Skorpigeist wrote:

that sounds like a fun time. I wanted to pop in with a quick question. the first time you ever heard your voice comming out of a character, did it sound strange or was it more like..ok?

and there is a tax for watching tv in France? wow

The first time I heard my voice coming out of a cartoon character I thought it was really amazing... and I loved it! but that's also because I was realising a lifelong dream. I'd dubbed movies already before that, and found that a bit weird, especially at first. One gets used to it eventually especially here in France where so many American series are dubbed into French. I discovered not only the XFiles in French first, but also the Simsons!! (I've been here a looong time!)
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby kiwi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:07 am

TB3 wrote:

Hehe - have fun Barbara ;)

You know we did!!! and everyone tips their hat to you fondly!!
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby kiwi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:16 am

Ulrich Stern. wrote:

Hey, that sounds great! When your done watching the episodes you can tell us all what you guys thought of them. :D My personal favorites are Revelation and The Key. Mostley because they had the most action and explained the most. Though I liked all the season 2 episodes for one reason or another. :) If you guys get to the one where Odd and Yumi switch bodies you can all have a good laugh at how confusing it gets for the characters. It may have been hard to do that episode but it turned out great. 8)

Well between the chili cornbread and conversations we watched , perhaps three episodes, and since I was cooking I only saw bits and pieces of Franz Hopper and the ghost in the boiler room. It was amazing to hear the sound effects, especially on the monsters. And there were some pretty hairy scenes that I'd never seen before, because when we're not dubbing at the bar we sometimes go out to get a breath of fresh air and therefore miss a few "loops".
the kids, especially, enjoyed the episodes very much, and thought it weird when, in character, we'd repeat a line for them!
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby FormicaArchonis » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:30 pm

kiwi wrote:You know we did!!! and everyone tips their hat to you fondly!!

I'd tip my hat back, but I don't have one. I do have hair, but it's nonremovable.:) And a tug of a forelock seems a bit much.:)

kiwi wrote:Well between the chili cornbread and conversations we watched , perhaps three episodes, and since I was cooking I only saw bits and pieces of Franz Hopper and the ghost in the boiler room. It was amazing to hear the sound effects, especially on the monsters. And there were some pretty hairy scenes that I'd never seen before, because when we're not dubbing at the bar we sometimes go out to get a breath of fresh air and therefore miss a few "loops".

Ah, yes. I quite enjoyed that scene in "Is Anybody Out There?" (ghost in the boiler room episode) where the ghost corners Sissi, then seems to decide she's not worth the trouble and leaves.:)

kiwi wrote:the kids, especially, enjoyed the episodes very much, and thought it weird when, in character, we'd repeat a line for them!

Heh. Must be quite the kick to have (Or know, since I don't think Audrey's old enough for that yet!) kids at the right age to watch the show and react to it.

That reminds me of a story voice actor Larry Kenney (Lion-O on Thundercats) once told - while in a toy store with his daughter, he noticed two kids discussing which Thundercats action figures to purchase. He walked over and suggested Lion-O, and performed a few of his catchphrases from the show. One of the kids looked at him and said, "You don’t even sound like Lion-O!"
FormicaArchonis offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby kiwi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:15 pm

FormicaArchonis wrote:
kiwi wrote:You know we did!!! and everyone tips their hat to you fondly!!

I'd tip my hat back, but I don't have one. I do have hair, but it's nonremovable.:) And a tug of a forelock seems a bit much.:)

That reminds me of a story voice actor Larry Kenney (Lion-O on Thundercats) once told - while in a toy store with his daughter, he noticed two kids discussing which Thundercats action figures to purchase. He walked over and suggested Lion-O, and performed a few of his catchphrases from the show. One of the kids looked at him and said, "You don’t even sound like Lion-O!"

Sort of like Mirabelle's 4 yr old son when she said to him "and this is Barbara who does Ulrich's voice" to which he replied "she can't be Ulrich she's a GIRL"
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby Ulrich Stern. » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:20 pm

kiwi wrote:Sort of like Mirabelle's 4 yr old son when she said to him "and this is Barbara who does Ulrich's voice" to which he replied "she can't be Ulrich she's a GIRL"

ROFL :rofl: I hope that didn't upset you. You do such a good job at the part that people are surprised when they find that fact out. I was surprised when I first found that out in I believe November when I looked at the Code Lyoko Wikipedia article. It certainly doesn't ruin my CL viewing time. I actually think it's pretty cool. :D I'm glad you all had a good time watching those episodes. I liked the part in "Is Anybody Out There" when Sissi is just standing there looking up at the monster and screaming, and Ulrich has to grab her hand and drag her out of the room. That was great. Season two also shows how much the computer animation has progressed. You see stunts done in Lyoko in that season that you would have never seen them do in season one.

Ulrich Stern. offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby MY85 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:22 pm

kiwi wrote:Sort of like Mirabelle's 4 yr old son when she said to him "and this is Barbara who does Ulrich's voice" to which he replied "she can't be Ulrich she's a GIRL"

rofl

Well, for a little guy, knowing that a female voices a male characther will seem weird and illogical at a first instance, so I think Barbara wouldn't take any offense on that.

BTW, how's the price on water at France? I've always heard it was expensive...
Last edited by MY85 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby FormicaArchonis » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:15 pm

:*D Sharon Mann must've confused the heck out of him, then.:)

Ah, I shouldn't laugh. I think it's a shock to every kid when (if) they learn the two main truths about voice actors:

1) That most boys are played by women - I still get a kick out that.

2) That some of their favorite characters were all voiced by the same person. That one still happens to me, even though I've been taking note of voice actors for about a decade now. I just got finished collecting my jaw off the floor from finding out Blunk, the funny-voiced comic relief on W.I.T.C.H. is voiced by Steve Blum, the guy who did Spike's voice in the English dub of Cowboy Bebop.

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:

rofl

Well, for a little girl, knowing that a female voices a male characther will seem weird and illogical at a first instance, so I think Barbara wouldn't take any offense on that.

"Mirabelle's 4 yr old son". Looks like he's not the only one with some gender confusion.;)
FormicaArchonis offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby MY85 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:20 pm

S**t... thanks for correcting me, Formica. I make reading mistakes once in a while. For my interests, this recent mistake won't make an influence on RL things. Phew... now on topic, I expect Barbara to answer my question about water prices at France.
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby TB3 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:22 pm

Haha - nice to see everyone kicking back and having a good time :)
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kiwi » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:19 pm

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:

rofl

Well, for a little guy, knowing that a female voices a male characther will seem weird and illogical at a first instance, so I think Barbara wouldn't take any offense on that.

BTW, how's the price on water at France? I've always heard it was expensive...

Water, electricity, gas,rent, you name it, it's TRES CHER over here. The view is certainly worth it though!
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby FormicaArchonis » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:30 am

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:S**t... thanks for correcting me, Formica.

No problem. It happens.

kiwi wrote:Water, electricity, gas,rent, you name it, it's TRES CHER over here.

Getting like that everywhere!:(

kiwi wrote:The view is certainly worth it though!

Well, that's nice. From where you are, what kind of view is it? Old world architecture, quiet suburban, natural grandeur (not the kind involving giant teenagers)?
FormicaArchonis offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Cassius335 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:25 am

Teddygozilla was a teenager? :umm:

:nyeh!:
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TB3 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:14 am

Cassius335 wrote:Teddygozilla was a teenager? :umm:

:nyeh!:

Lol - he mean's Odd's short movie 'Natural Grandeur' - ya know, the one with Sissi as a giant - it would be hilarious for Barbara (or any of us for that matter) to look out of the window one morning and see a giant Sissi laying the smackdown on humanity! :*D
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cassius335 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:27 am

Haven't seen it. The only season 2 ep I've seen is the last one and that thanks to youtube. Though if I can get Sky at my current flat, that will change...

Why don't the smilies shrink? ;__;
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby emoBillâ„¢ » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:29 pm

Yeah, seeing a giant Sissi would ruin anyone's day =P

Hello Mrs. Weber-Scaff! I like that last name. Very... fanciful ^_^

My brother and sister were reacting like that too, I said (while I was browsing CL thingies), "Hey do you guys know that Ulrich is played by a female voice actor?" and they were like "Nuh-uh, Ulrich is a boy, stupid. He can't be played by a girl." And I said "And she also does Kiwi." And they said "Wait a minute, you mean to tell me that a GIRL plays Ulrich AND Kiwi?" and I was like "Yep!"

Brothers and sisters are weird =P Especially when they're only 8 and 9.

Do you watch the episodes after they are shown and go "Wow, that came out really nice" or whatever? Cuz you also said:

It was amazing to hear the sound effects, especially on the monsters.

So do you think it's neat when you hear your voice put on a character? I would think so ^^
___________________Image
emoBillâ„¢ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

PreviousNext