Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:36 am

S5E1 - XANA 2.0

Talk about the episodes of Evolution here! (Season 5)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

S5E1 - XANA 2.0

Postby TheAppleFreak » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:56 am

Episode Title - XANA 2.0 (translated from French)
Air date: December 19th (online), January 5th (TV)

On the Lyoko Freak Wiki

I'm making the thread, since we have only 8 days until it becomes available online! Pre-episode discussion can go here, too.

this forum was too empty
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Re: S5E1 - XANA 2.0

Postby Mister Puck » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:06 pm

Oooh, episode threads! :3

Can't wait for this~
Mister Puck offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Rail Runner » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:40 pm

I cant wait either. This should be awesome.
Amtrak, its everywhere I want to be!
Rail Runner offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby LadyLucy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:03 pm

I heard on DA that they will be dubbed into English like the old ones were. :bounce: WOOT
Can't wait...
viewtopic.php?t=2354- my Art Thread...please visit!!
Behold, the rejoyic-ify worthy sig by Jeremified!!!

Thankszers to Vora for this coolzers sig!!!

Someone told me today that I was crazy....I fell off my unicorn in shock!
LadyLucy offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheLQ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:25 pm

LadyLucy wrote:I heard on DA that they will be dubbed into English like the old ones were. :bounce: WOOT
Can't wait...

Wait, so live action with subs?

This is going to be weirder than I thought
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Two Minute Preview [SPOILERS]

Postby TheTsunamix » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:18 pm

I'll have to admit, for what it is, it's pretty darn good.
TheTsunamix offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Re: Two Minute Preview [SPOILERS]

Postby TheAppleFreak » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:15 pm

God, I really want to watch this... Why did today of all days have to be when I lose my earbuds?

Also, since this is about the episode, I'm gonna merge this with the XANA 2.0 thread in the Episode Discussion thread. *merge*

also finally someone used the new youtube tags that wasn't me or me retroactively editing posts to support it
TheAppleFreak offline

Postby Soul Jelly » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm

I'm not too fussed on the new opening music; he just isn't as feel-y as AWWD. Still, the graphics are cool, and Jim is basially perfect <3 In short, I AM EXTREMELY EXCITED.
Soul Jelly offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TB3 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:28 pm

Very interesting - note that on the title graphic, two very familiar names are listed as Scriptwriters: Jerome Mouscadet and Sophie Decroisette (respectively, the Director and Script Editor for Seasons 1-4). If these two are still involved, my hopes and expectations for the new show just went radically up!
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TheTsunamix » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:52 pm

TB3 wrote:If these two are still involved, my hopes and expectations for the new show just went radically up!

Funny you should say that as I had the same concerns when this was first announced. It was later announced that they had written the 'literary bible' for the show and both were involved with the writing of two episodes, so that brought my expectations up. Although now, I'm pretty sure they're just serving as consultants.
TheTsunamix offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby desincarnation » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:43 am

If these two are still involved, my hopes and expectations for the new show just went radically up!

Yes, that was exactly my reaction ;> Sophie Decroisette wrote most of my favorite episodes...

By the way, the music may be forgettable in comparison to AWWD, but the visuals are so pretty!
desincarnation offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby TB3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:07 pm

TheTsunamix wrote:Funny you should say that as I had the same concerns when this was first announced. It was later announced that they had written the 'literary bible' for the show and both were involved with the writing of two episodes, so that brought my expectations up. Although now, I'm pretty sure they're just serving as consultants.

Ah, I thought it might be as such. Still, having some of the original guiding hands on board is a relief (also notable is the absence of Nicholas Atlan from the opening credits, with just the Di Sabatino brothers listed as the executive producers).

And yes desincarnation, the visuals are gorgeous, and kinda reminiscent of JJ Abram's Star Trek ("Lens flares! Woooo!")
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TheTsunamix » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:44 pm

TB3 wrote:
TheTsunamix wrote:Funny you should say that as I had the same concerns when this was first announced. It was later announced that they had written the 'literary bible' for the show and both were involved with the writing of two episodes, so that brought my expectations up. Although now, I'm pretty sure they're just serving as consultants.

Ah, I thought it might be as such. Still, having some of the original guiding hands on board is a relief (also notable is the absence of Nicholas Atlan from the opening credits, with just the Di Sabatino brothers listed as the executive producers).

And yes desincarnation, the visuals are gorgeous, and kinda reminiscent of JJ Abram's Star Trek ("Lens flares! Woooo!")

To be fair, though, Atlan was just a producer; he wasn't really part of the creative team anyway. Besides, he's the CEO of MoonScoop's American branch now so I don't think he would any impact on a show that's produced entirely in France.
TheTsunamix offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby LyokoMan95 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:27 pm

TheTsunamix wrote:To be fair, though, Atlan was just a producer; he wasn't really part of the creative team anyway. Besides, he's the CEO of MoonScoop's American branch now so I don't think he would any impact on a show that's produced entirely in France.

Hmmm... I wonder if he still holds any keys to Lyoko (bad pun)

EDIT: also, does anyone have a copy of that video, it seems to have gone private
LyokoMan95 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Cassius335 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Caught 2nd half of the ep on Youtube. Strange, but promising. Main criticism at the mo is that the RTTP was very blink-and-you-miss-it... I'd defy newcomers to even know that's what happened.
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby penguin30 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:52 am

Apparently they couldn't spare the effects. Wouldn't have killed them to do a white-out on an establishing shot of the school.

Not a bad episode to start off on, all things considered. But, for a few criticisms:

Their wipes were kinda awkward. The pull from the side style just doesn't fit here. An instant transition would have been much better throughout, and they could have picked better moments to do it. For example, that bit where they segue into Yumi and Ulrich flipping each other came too soon. There's a very obvious pause there it could have really done without. They did the last batch right, though.

That slow-motion bit with Odd trying to punch spectre!Jim just felt weird. If you're going to go for that effect, something a bit less anti-climatic is generally called for. The BBC Merlin series frequently abuses it, but they still have a better grasp of it.

Jim reminds of Jake Gyllenhaal, only less in-shape. That's less a criticism than an observation, though. Other actor appearance observations I'll withhold, since you just have to go with it. Back on track with Jim, I think he didn't do that great a job being evil. He sorta stumbles around, instead of the straight, Terminator-esque walking/running such a thing should have.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. Not a bad start, and hopefully they'll find their footing down the line.

penguin30 offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby Cassius335 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:37 am

penguin30 wrote:Back on track with Jim, I think he didn't do that great a job being evil. He sorta stumbles around, instead of the straight, Terminator-esque walking/running such a thing should have.

In fairness, it's XANA's first Spectre in a while. :p
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Mister Puck » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:28 pm

I already posted this over at CLE, but oh well.

I finally watched it! Despite not knowing French, I could understand most of what was going on, the plot was pretty easy to figure out after seeing the original show.

-The actors are really growing on me. The all fit their roles very well, in my opinion, except for Odd.
-Jim is exactly how Jim should be. I'm really impressed with him so far.
-XANA's return is a very believable way to bring him back. I was a little worried that his return would be really dumb.
-I like how they seem to be trying to introduce new audiences to the show, yet at the same time they aren't completely forgetting everything that happened in the original series.
-I'm glad that Ulrich and Yumi seem to be actually getting together now. Just hinting at their feelings for each other forever got really old after a while.
-The Lyoko scenes were well done. They felt a bit short, but I liked what I saw.

Now for the things I didn't like...

-Odd. I just can't get used to him. He looks so young and feels completely out of place next to Ulrich. Hopefully I'll get used to him as time goes on, but for now he's my biggest problem with the show.
-The CGI looked very noticeably fake at times, but I didn't really expect much.
-The specter scenes were rather strange. I suppose they don't have the budget for the kinds of fights they had in the original series, but all the spectre really did was follow them around and grab them, which was a bit silly.
-I felt there wasn't much plot to the episode. Hopefully, that's just because the episode is just setting things up, and there will be more to the future episodes.

Overall, I really, really enjoyed it. It feels great to have new Code Lyoko to look forward to again, and I'm really excited to see where the plot goes from here, specifically with Laura. It surprised me how small William's role was, but hopefully he'll get his chance to return to the team next episode. I can't wait to watch the episode again with subtitles!
Mister Puck offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby TheTsunamix » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:19 am

Finally saw the episode.

The effects and cinematography were kinda iffy at times and the acting I'll admit is a bit wooden. But I definitely like the direction they're taking with the story and everything else and for a first episode, it exceeded my expectations.

I'll give it an 8/10.
TheTsunamix offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby DarkestSoul X21 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:35 am

Just finished watching the first episode. I have to say this addition to CL is iffy for now. Real life was alright, but it felt like it was made for a YouTube series. But when we get to Lyoko things started to show code lyoko's true roots. But I was disappointed in the sound effects. The original sounds were so much better. I loved the sounds the Krabs made back on the original show, now not so much and the mega tanks. Don't get me started. But I'll watch the other episodes as I have hope still.
Joined in 2005, left 2008, came back July 2011

Used to been XANAcomputer/lyokolover.
DarkestSoul X21 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby LadyLucy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:07 pm

Just watched this for the first time, without subs, but I got a jist of what's going on. ^^;
I actually like Odd, even though he does look so dang young. He's kind of adorable, and he has a smirk that even though I couldn't understand him, you could just tell he was being a smart alleck.
My hope for their acting ablities did go up quite a bit, espeiclally with Yumi. She seems awesome, and Ulrich, in the begining, when he goes all stammery, was just awesomely perfect. ^^
(although...this sounds stupid, but does anyone else think he some how looks a little like Anne Hathaway? NOT saying he looks like a girl, he's quite handsome...it's just something in the face.....^^;)
Aelita's OBVIOUS wig drives me nuts, but I liked her acting and her outfit. I gotta get used to her voice, since I'm used to her having the higher, slightly more girly voice but the actress has a pretty low tone. Not like she can help it. She fits the role.
I give it a 8.5 outta 10. Geeked out a lot, missed some stuff, but all in all?
I'm just happy they brought Lyoko back at all. ^^

LadyLucy offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TheAppleFreak » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:48 pm

LadyLucy wrote:(although...this sounds stupid, but does anyone else think he some how looks a little like Anne Hathaway? NOT saying he looks like a girl, he's quite handsome...it's just something in the face.....^^;)

TheAppleFreak offline

Postby LadyLucy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:40 am

TheAppleFreak wrote:
LadyLucy wrote:(although...this sounds stupid, but does anyone else think he some how looks a little like Anne Hathaway? NOT saying he looks like a girl, he's quite handsome...it's just something in the face.....^^;)

XD XD XD :D OHHHHH man...poor guy... XD XD XD That's hilarous...I feel bad for him now, but that's reaaaaaly funny...^^
OH! Remembered something else about this episode- the music is awesome. <3 <3 <3
Anybody else get kinda werided out by the whole computer card/chip thing JEremie had to use to bring up XANA's tower in the factory? What exactly is that thing? Juusssst curious.

LadyLucy offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby ChanceEXE » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Really nice subs, I was wondering if I'd have to wait for the English release but I'm glad I didn't have to.

Watching the episode I realized how much I've missed Code Lyoko. I went in expecting very little and I'm pleasantly surprised to say I enjoyed it. The old Code Lyoko formula is still there and I'm already used to the new cast. I'm not going to be picky and complain about things like poor special effects, different sound effects and lame action scenes because truthfully they are good enough to get what across what they need to. Plus if something clever or really well done does occur then I'll just be all the more impressed.

I don't see any problems with the casting at all. In fact I quite like that Odd is younger then Ulrich. Assuming an age gap from the beginning of the original does help to explain Ulrich's attitude towards Odd and it's even more comical now to see Odd giving Ulrich dating advice. Also, I like Gulliver's (Odd's) voice a lot more than I did the original Odd. His high pitched tone took a lot of getting used to so Gulliver is a definite improvement.
I can't really say much about the others that no one else has said already. Jim does a good job, Yumi is cool and Aelita has a fake wig.

I guess the scene that really brought it back for me was where Odd was on his Overboard. Jeremy's reaction to his stupid plan was exactly what I expected.
That and Ulrich failing with Yumi before the alarm bells went off.

I guess I'll leave it there. Nice work with the subs. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the episodes now I know it isn't as bad as I was expecting.
ChanceEXE offline
New Kid
New Kid