Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 8:42 am

William Tribute Video II

For the wonderful fan artists of Code Lyoko.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

William Tribute Video II

Postby . » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ukeeuwks8

For those of you who know me, you know that since the end of the 3rd season I've been a huge william fan. Actually to the point where I hate the way the other characters just let him die, and I despise the way Yumi blamed him. She knew he was rookie, he made a rookie mistake, trust has nothing to do with it. Regardless, I tried to capture the true essence of that right here in this video. They all really don't care that their carelessness harmed the innocent.

Ulrich- Never liked him anyway
Yumi- Wrongfully blaming him slimply because she doesn't like him
Aelita- Was more concerned over her father, even after they got that e-mail from him at the end.
Jeremy- More concerned that Aelita was mad at him.

Anyway, watch and rate.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Phoenix Wolf » Thu May 03, 2007 7:30 pm

Interesting! I thought it was cool...
Where Reality Ends and Virtuality Begins!!!
Catch Ya On The Flipside!!
Phoenix Wolf offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Location: Searching for LadyLucy....Happy to be recovered from anxiey...

Postby Rail Runner » Thu May 03, 2007 7:44 pm

Definitely a nice vid man.
Amtrak, its everywhere I want to be!
Rail Runner offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby G-Force » Mon May 07, 2007 12:43 am

As someone with way too much free time on their hands and have watched a number of AMVs I wasn't exactly blown away which was a reaction I was expecting to have. Instead of a video where the music compliments the footage on screen, While watching this I felt like the audio and visual elements clashed with one another and told two different stories and that the music was used more as a narrative as opposed to a compliment to the piece overall.

As stated by this article there are two main things you need for a good AMV: synch and concept. Synch is how well the video lines up with the music in terms of how the footage follows the specific rhythm and pacing of the song. Concept is the main story you wish your video to convey. I felt that I couldn't find either of these elements in your William Tribute video.

While watching this I felt that your choices of clips to use lacked direction and I got more of a feeling that I was watching the last episode of season 3 but with a different choice of background music. There wasn't any synchronisation between the two mediums both in pacing and rhythm though I did see some effort at that. At the forty second mark I saw a scene where Yumi and Aelita's lip movements were timed roughly at the same moment where there was a break in the lyrics as if they were saying the lyrics. If you're going to lip synch then make sure its spot on as the smallest slips in timming are noticed easily. In general people who make AMVs avoid using such clips as seeing a character move their lips and that doesn't compliment the song or overall story arc is quiet distracting.

A good example of an AMV that does a great job at capturing a song's mood and pacing is Spirit Never Dies. Feel free to watch that for reference sakes.

Issues with synching aside, I also have a few comments in terms of how well your video interpreted the lyrics to the song you choose. I admire you for your song choice and the overall dark atmosphere you were shooting for as that was ow you interpreted the character but I did not see this concept executed in your final product. Your choice of clips could have been more specific and best and did not gel well with what my eye caught. I couldn't get a feel for the AMV's concept and I was a bit disappointed to see an overall lack of story it had.

An AMV I've seen recently that was just marvelous at telling a story was Jihaku Instead of painting a single story, the video strives to show a representation of life itself. In this one place it shows the good and bad times, moments of joy and tragedy. Though these experiences are different, it shows the best of mankind. Though it does not specific follow exactly what the lyrics are, the video perfectly captures the song's spirit, picking up momentum when things get crazy and slowing down when it does as well.

In conclusion I do not want to discourage you to stop making videos. Instead I wanted to show you the general theory of making a good AMV as well as some of the best examples I can think of to better motivate you to take your creative skills to the next level.
G-Force offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby Phoenix Wolf » Wed May 09, 2007 6:31 pm

Wow that Spirit Never Dies was totally morphinominal without a doubt. Impressive pacing and the lyrics matched up great as if to tell a story. G that was ausome, have you seen I don't want to go? It is by Lucy. She used my music and her vid. Any way I thought the vid its self was cool, however I was not a big fan of the music.
Phoenix Wolf offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Taelia » Wed May 09, 2007 6:54 pm

I agree! It was very morphinominal! =D
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby . » Thu May 10, 2007 8:20 pm

G-Force wrote:As someone with way too much free time on their hands and have watched a number of AMVs I wasn't exactly blown away which was a reaction I was expecting to have. Instead of a video where the music compliments the footage on screen, While watching this I felt like the audio and visual elements clashed with one another and told two different stories and that the music was used more as a narrative as opposed to a compliment to the piece overall.

As stated by this article there are two main things you need for a good AMV: synch and concept. Synch is how well the video lines up with the music in terms of how the footage follows the specific rhythm and pacing of the song. Concept is the main story you wish your video to convey. I felt that I couldn't find either of these elements in your William Tribute video.

While watching this I felt that your choices of clips to use lacked direction and I got more of a feeling that I was watching the last episode of season 3 but with a different choice of background music. There wasn't any synchronisation between the two mediums both in pacing and rhythm though I did see some effort at that. At the forty second mark I saw a scene where Yumi and Aelita's lip movements were timed roughly at the same moment where there was a break in the lyrics as if they were saying the lyrics. If you're going to lip synch then make sure its spot on as the smallest slips in timming are noticed easily. In general people who make AMVs avoid using such clips as seeing a character move their lips and that doesn't compliment the song or overall story arc is quiet distracting.

A good example of an AMV that does a great job at capturing a song's mood and pacing is Spirit Never Dies. Feel free to watch that for reference sakes.

Issues with synching aside, I also have a few comments in terms of how well your video interpreted the lyrics to the song you choose. I admire you for your song choice and the overall dark atmosphere you were shooting for as that was ow you interpreted the character but I did not see this concept executed in your final product. Your choice of clips could have been more specific and best and did not gel well with what my eye caught. I couldn't get a feel for the AMV's concept and I was a bit disappointed to see an overall lack of story it had.

An AMV I've seen recently that was just marvelous at telling a story was Jihaku Instead of painting a single story, the video strives to show a representation of life itself. In this one place it shows the good and bad times, moments of joy and tragedy. Though these experiences are different, it shows the best of mankind. Though it does not specific follow exactly what the lyrics are, the video perfectly captures the song's spirit, picking up momentum when things get crazy and slowing down when it does as well.

In conclusion I do not want to discourage you to stop making videos. Instead I wanted to show you the general theory of making a good AMV as well as some of the best examples I can think of to better motivate you to take your creative skills to the next level.

Unfortunatly I lacked a good chunk of episodes to use because the episodes dls aren't up on Warton's forum. so I only had the final episode. Regardless, yeah, I'm not a follower of the lip synching with the lyrics. Not my bag. I try to capture the essence of the song.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Phoenix Wolf » Mon May 14, 2007 5:08 pm

That is okay I still thought it was prodigious...Ausomness PepsiePiper!! :)
Phoenix Wolf offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby G-Force » Thu May 24, 2007 3:33 pm

ThePepsiPiper wrote:Unfortunatly I lacked a good chunk of episodes to use because the episodes dls aren't up on Warton's forum. so I only had the final episode. Regardless, yeah, I'm not a follower of the lip synching with the lyrics. Not my bag. I try to capture the essence of the song.

Lip sych aside, in order to capture a song's feel the video must engage it in some way. Either through: interpriting the lyrics, following the song's pace, mood or synching the footage to the beat. The the audio and video do not compliment each other in any way then its not an AMV, rather its more of a series of CL clips played over a random song.
G-Force offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby lyoko is great » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:37 am

I think it a very good video.
lyoko is great offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Phoenix Wolf » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:02 pm

As do I, I admire everyone who knows how to make the videos...I tried to once and it did not come out very well...So PepsiePiper I think you did an ausome job...
Phoenix Wolf offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Colinahscopy » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:25 pm

That william video was great. I agree what you said because you did capture the essence of his rookie mistake.

Good job. 8) :)
Colin K.
-------------------
Colinahscopy offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member