Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:16 pm

CL Novels: Now being Fanslated

General original series discussion (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Postby TB3 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:11 pm

MAJOR UPDATE

Thanks to those geniuses at CL.fr (who I know are reading this, so thankyou guys :) ), a sub-section of the publisher's website has been found where biographies are given for their authors...including the 'author' of the CL books, 'Jeremy Belpois!'

[i]“He is regarded as one of the largest experts in data processing in the world. Impassioned by invention, hot chocolate and technology, he lives with his wife in America, where he works for an international company in data-processing securiity. In this debut as a writer, he tells the incredible adventures shared with his friends when he was student at Kadic College, in France.â€
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rho » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:19 pm

I can say without a doubt that it's Aelita.

I still don't get how a country where they poorly dubbed only ONE season several years ago gets the books first. :umm:
"english isnt his first language, leave him alone. im more upset at people that have been speaking english their whole lives and cant write a readable sentence."
http://www.formspring.me/rholf
Presenting..the REAL Jean-Pierre Delmas!
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TB3 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:22 pm

Rho Rho Rho your boat wrote:I still don't get how a country where they poorly dubbed only ONE season several years ago gets the books first. :umm:

Because the publishers, and presumably the people writing the books, are Italian

And yes, while its pretty much a cert that its Aelita, the story of how they get to that point should make for some interesting reading...
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Carth » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:23 pm

WOW! So they're actually still moving ahead with this! This made me laugh a lot more than it should. The second cover looks a lot like the first cover, except Jeremie's head isn't all that misshapen anymore. And as for that little blurb, I love it! I can't quite wrap my head around what "data-processing expert" means, but he sounds comfortable. And if anyone has to wonder at all who his wife is...what I'm wondering is why they're ambiguous about it.

TB3, you are on the European side of the universe; would it be possible to get your hands on copies of the books in any language at all? Just curious, even if you can't translate them.
Carth offline

Postby Aerodynamite79 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:30 pm

[quote="TB3"]MAJOR UPDATE

Thanks to those geniuses at CL.fr (who I know are reading this, so thankyou guys :) ), a sub-section of the publisher's website has been found where biographies are given for their authors...including the 'author' of the CL books, 'Jeremy Belpois!'

[i]“He is regarded as one of the largest experts in data processing in the world. Impassioned by invention, hot chocolate and technology, he lives with his wife in America, where he works for an international company in data-processing securiity. In this debut as a writer, he tells the incredible adventures shared with his friends when he was student at Kadic College, in France.â€

Aerodynamite79 offline
New Kid
New Kid

Postby SearchingLyoko » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:45 pm

Remember folks, at this point (and until Moonscoop put out something that contradicts it), this is pretty much CANNON - so from this we know that Jeremy will grow up, marry (but to whom?), emigrate to America and become a hotshot in the computing world...so many answers, but so many questions

Well, technically, not exactly sure, but that may not be the case.

We know for certain that CL is set in the Modern World (At least after 2004)... and if he was 12/13 then, which I believe he was, it would make him...

Okay... if they wanted to stretch it... really stretch it, he'd be 18 now, which means this could... legally work, at least.

Well... this is kinda-sorta-cannon... but it doesn't add up to me. The timeline seems off.

Personally, I'm still ticked off that they modified the forehead size (Seriously, if the world is that picky about appearance... and they looked good like that...)

But, I hope to read these the second someone is pressed into translating them. We should give Scholastic a call.

Btw... TB3, tell the CL.fr people that I've been reading them lately and that I'd talk back if only I could learn French. They've helped me a lot on info.

I personally have had enough with all these myths and deciphering... I am vowing to find out what's really going on, evenif it means squeezing them out of Taffy like they're a tube of toothpaste!

Well... not that extreme, but I sent them an e-mail asking if they would be so kind as to fill us in on what they've been doing lately, saying that we are essentially swimming in a sea of questions and confusion.

Hopefully, they'll answer. For this is only the beginning in a long line of events....
SearchingLyoko Delenda Est.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Lani » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:22 am

[quote="TB3"][i]“He is regarded as one of the largest experts in data processing in the world. Impassioned by invention, hot chocolate and technology, he lives with his wife in America, where he works for an international company in data-processing securiity. In this debut as a writer, he tells the incredible adventures shared with his friends when he was student at Kadic College, in France.â€
we will advance with sword in hand
for our cause is pure
Lani offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Cassius335 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:54 am

TB3 wrote:
Jules Winnfield wrote:I can say without a doubt that it's Aelita.
And yes, while its pretty much a cert that its Aelita, the story of how they get to that point should make for some interesting reading...

Unless the bio specifically says "his wife, Aelita", assume nothing. Lots can happen in 5 years.

Not saying it isn't Aelita, of course, but I won't be shocked if Jeremie ended up with someone else.
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby desincarnation » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:56 am

It sure would be! Although I'm under an impression I already came across a fanfiction developing very similar idea...
Impassioned by invention, hot chocolate and technology,

Hey, isn't hot chocolate Aelita's thing? I smell XANA's Kiss reference... which may give us a hint about who Jeremie's wife is^^.
We know for certain that CL is set in the Modern World (At least after 2004)... and if he was 12/13 then, which I believe he was, it would make him...
Okay... if they wanted to stretch it... really stretch it, he'd be 18 now, which means this could... legally work, at least.
Well... this is kinda-sorta-cannon... but it doesn't add up to me. The timeline seems off.

Since it sounds like some kind of diary, Jeremie can be at any age. Even retired.
desincarnation offline
Friend of Team Lyoko
Friend of Team Lyoko

Postby TB3 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:01 pm

OK guys. Two things

1: Yumi Ishiyame from the italian CL forums has promised me a detailed outline of volume two as soon as she finishes reading it

2: I'm giving serious thought to purchasing the books in italian and doing a fanslation for limited distribution (i.e. not to the world at large, but just to the community) - this is not a commitment though as I want to see how the next few weeks in my life play out, but should we get to around Christmas and there's still no word of an English release, I may get down to business
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SilverPrince » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:26 pm

Teebs, by all the power vested in me*, I hereby declare you King of Awesome.

*Sure, there isn't very much power. None at all, in fact. But the details aren't important. What's important is that you are awesome.

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby SearchingLyoko » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:59 pm

Yeah.. TB, I've translated a few of the descriptions from Italian websites, they seem to me that it's a lot of reflecting in there.

Of course, I may be wrong. Your Italian reader probably knows much more... reading the book.

On a sidenote, browsing the French Amazon a while ago, I found what looks like book versions of some of the episodes (these are old, so nothing new. I just thought it would be interesting to mention) in French.

And on my third note, you know how we're all going "Well, what if this happens? Is this happening? What's happening? Who's doing what? Canada!?"?

Well, frankly, I'm a bit tired of it.

I've e-mailed the VP of Marketing in Taffy to see if they can give us an update on, to put it simply, "What in the name of Lyoko are you doing???".

They've told me things before... like they are slowly attempting to make the episodes available for download online (have CL on your iPod). So, who knows, maybe they'll be able to tell us exactly what they're doing.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Lani » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:22 am

desincarnation wrote:

Since it sounds like some kind of diary, Jeremie can be at any age. Even retired.

Probably takes a few years in the future. CL first aired in September '03 but Jeremie finds the supercomputer on October '0...4? I think it was? Wouldn't be surprised if the date is like 2016 or something like that. Still, it's a work of fiction.

TB3 - best Christmas present ever :D
we will advance with sword in hand
for our cause is pure
Lani offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby SearchingLyoko » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:58 am

I consider it sort of Quasi-Cannon (right use of "Quasi-"?), meaning that it technically matches up though I have my doubts.

Once again, I'm still waiting for that reply from Taffy. They usually take a week.

Happy Halloween!

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Cassius335 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:18 pm

SearchingLyoko wrote:I consider it sort of Quasi-Cannon (right use of "Quasi-"?), meaning that it technically matches up though I have my doubts.

Quasi-Canon presumeably being one step below Word-of-God Canon?
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby SearchingLyoko » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:18 pm

Yup... I'm using it wrong.

Hm...

For a loss of words (my vocabulary is a strange one), I will say sort-of-canon.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Lyoko Wario » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:07 pm

I'm having one of those days when I remember the CL novels and get pissed off because I don't have them.

If at least they'd assure us that the novels are coming to the US eventually, that'd be enough for me, you know.

Please keep us updated on everything that goes down, TB3 (or anyone else who gets their hands on any info).
Lyoko Wario offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby SearchingLyoko » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:05 pm

I plan on politely barraging them with an email until they give us answers.

So, basically I'm going to be sending them a nice letter asking them to update us, but I'm going to do it in a forceful way, yet at the same time be very polite and non-agrivating.

Argh this is going to be hard. If it wasn't for them having an American division I'd probably ruin my reputation with them by making cultural errors.

So... yeah... hopefully they'll be nice enough to reply.[/b]

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Lyoko Wario » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Yes, let's hope they don't ignore our pleas. I wonder what kind of hoops the legal monkeys are making them jump through, since I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to spread their product farther...

Also, I asked for info at the always-very-knowledgeable animationinsider.net, but so far I've only gotten "Cool story, bro" replies from trolls. Let's hope we get something legit soon.
Lyoko Wario offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Rho » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:01 pm

Planet Cool wrote:Yes, let's hope they don't ignore our pleas. I wonder what kind of hoops the legal monkeys are making them jump through, since I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to spread their product farther...

Also, I asked for info at the always-very-knowledgeable animationinsider.net, but so far I've only gotten "Cool story, bro" replies from trolls. Let's hope we get something legit soon.

Looks like a ripoff of Toonzone.

CL still has a fairly big fanbase in the USA, so I see no reason to not release these. They just need a little promotion in magazines and banner ads.
"english isnt his first language, leave him alone. im more upset at people that have been speaking english their whole lives and cant write a readable sentence."
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Lyoko Wario » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:14 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:Looks like a ripoff of Toonzone.

CL still has a fairly big fanbase in the USA, so I see no reason to not release these. They just need a little promotion in magazines and banner ads.

Oh, it's a very savvy site. They get early news on tons of animated stuff, and reported on the CL books sometime last year. The admins there should get us info, assuming they're feeling generous.

Also, that second thing you said.
Lyoko Wario offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby SearchingLyoko » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:58 pm

I plan on asking them soon... but I need to find time to type up the letter.

I should get it done tomorrow...

Luckily... I know a surefire way to get a reply from Taffy...

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Lyoko Wario » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:10 pm

Lyoko Wario offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby SearchingLyoko » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:39 pm

Hopefully they'll end up saying something like "Oh, no need to do a fan-translation. We're going to strike a deal with some small publisher to publish them and sell them on Amazon..." or even better... "Oh, this big publisher's going to print it and release it nation-wide. They aren't going to go crazy over it, but they're going to do it."

If CL was back on TV... they'd snatch these books up in a second.

SearchingLyoko offline
Permanently Banned
Permanently Banned

Postby Rho » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:19 pm

I hope it wouldn't just be through Amazon, but be sold at major retailers such as Borders and Wal-Mart.

SOMEONE broadcasting CL in America would help. At this point, I just hope Cartoon Network ends up having their rights expire, and Nick or Disney XD snatches it up. (preferably nick, they need some more diversity anyway)
It was a ratings grabber when it was on, I had found some info and it got good scores, comparable to what Pokemon is getting now, and Pokemon is in their Top 5 best rated shows. (I believe the others are Total Drama Action, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Johnny Test, and Ben 10)
Why CN is passing aside something that brings them success is beyond me.
I guess there's still hope, considering Looney Tunes and Johnny Bravo, two shows that have as well not seen light on CN in a while, are starting to air again.

But yeah, the plots for these sound great and I can only hope they come to the USA and sell very well.
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

PreviousNext