Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:15 pm

LTT3 - Rewriting Physics since 2005!

General original series discussion (Seasons 1-4)

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Postby TB3 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:36 am

JeremyHopper wrote:Well then why did Franz create Lyoko, the scanners, and all that stuff?

(beats head)

He wanted to create a weapon to destroy Carthage, so first he creates the housing, a control system that can't be hacked (Lyoko), and then comes up with a user interface (himself) - for this to work he needs to be virtualised, so he builds the scanners, though they were probably designed by him under Carthage for other reasons (transportation, weapon duplication etc).

With all this in place Franz then finally creates his weapon, XANA.
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JeremyHopper » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:53 am

I'm sure there's a smilee for that... ah, here it is :banghead:

Weird way to destroy something... but if it works that's fine with me. Part of it's plot device but whatever.

I must not be getting this... what exactly is Carthage, where is it, how does Hopper intend on destroying it and what does a well-designed virtual world have to do with it? Or is it just the local residence for XANA?
~Sean

I reject your reality and substitute my own. -Adam Savage
JeremyHopper offline

Postby TB3 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:19 pm

We don't know fully what Carthage is - here's the clues we have.

We know Franz was involved with it.

It existed in 1974 and seemed to involve many scientists.

By 1994 it was a 'military project'

One of it's mandates was to 'block enemy communications'

It had enough influence to have Government Agents sent after Hopper

Franz by 1994 wanted to destroy Carthage.

---------

Okay, so let's work it through.

Franz willingly joined the project, so why would he want to destroy it? Possibly there was a change in attitudes during those 20 years.

---------

Now my personal theory is this: Franz was an undisputed genius, but was poor and a nobody in the scientific community - he had many brilliant ideas, but didn't have the means to develop them.

And then in 1974 I believe Franz was approached by a group representing 'Project Carthage', a government-funded think-tank devoted to developing high technology.

So Franz and a group of other brilliant but under-funded individuals make up the project core, working both on their own ideas and collaborating with each other.

Over those twenty years the project thrives and grows, but gradually comes under the control of the Military, who begin to twist the project agenda. By this time Carthage has (among other developments) designed the supercomputer and scanners, building and merging Franz's ideas with its considerable talents.

The military however seeks to weaponise these developments, which Franz is morally opposed to - there is also the possibility that his rebellion is tied to the death/disapearance of his wife.

And so Franz flees, presumably stealing as much as he can in the process - two things I'm certain he took with him are the Nuclear Battery and a small prototype scanner, which he then uses to create the components for his great project to destroy Carthage, motivated by rightous indignation, fear for his family's secret, and possible vengance.

The rest, is history.

And remember, all of the above is just speculation - Season 4 might well show us more. :)
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JeremyHopper » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:55 pm

I see, so the whole idea of Lyoko was part of a weapon, and Hopper had to basically make a weapon of the same design to destroy the other one.
~Sean

JeremyHopper offline

Postby TB3 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:24 pm

JeremyHopper wrote:I see, so the whole idea of Lyoko was part of a weapon, and Hopper had to basically make a weapon of the same design to destroy the other one.

No - I'm not saying Lyoko was developed by Carthage as a weapon - maybe the baseline technology of scanning someone as a virtual construct is (imagine ebign able to dismantle an enemy network from the inside out) but not Lyoko itself.

Franz probably built Lyoko as the supercomputer's OS, sorta like a hypothetical WindowsVR ( :P ) - I suspect Sector 5 was built first, and then the others around it as a basic housing for the towers that make up the nodes of the computer's interface with the outside world. If Franz's weapon, XANA was to be used it would need a tower to operate from - and thus Franz made 40 towers as redundancies.

As such Lyoko's appearance was probably uniform and sterile - imagine Sector 5's construction applied to the sectors for example.

It was only after Franz finished XANA that I suspect he realised destroying Carthage would put him and his daughter in greater danger than the Agent Raids he'd used the RTTP to escape, and so he probably spent a good part of those seven years reformatting Lyoko as a sanctuary for himself and his daughter - indeed as we know from the episode 'Aelita' he wasn't finished when the time came to enter Lyoko, supporting the theory that creating the aesthetic aspects of the world came after everything else was said and done.
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JeremyHopper » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:42 pm

I get it, but you're making assumtions. CL was vague on the details and let's face it, they're not going to go into the technological depths on a TV show for 11 year old kids. Another thing: was the original supercomputer and Lyoko built in the factory, did Franz move it there from a military base, or did he create it himself or what? It's so confusing! :toomuch: x_x
~Sean

JeremyHopper offline

Postby TB3 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:07 pm

He says he built the computer.

And remember, the sequence of events I described above I passed onto the director himself as our theory of what happened, and while he didn't give a definate answer, he implied we had it right.
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sithking Zero » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:39 am

I think that the computer was built in the factory, but the aparati for creating it were taken from the gov't base.
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Tangent128 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:04 am

TB3 wrote:As for the programming code, common opinion is that it is a varient of LINUX or UNIX.

um... LINUX and UNIX aren't programming languages... they're operating systems.

Of course, the code could be a varient of a language closely associated with *NIX; for instance, (a quantum version of) C could have been used for creating utility programs and the system kernel, while scripting languages like bash (which also runs the command line) could be used to control these programs.

And yeah, Franz probably made the SC with a prototype scanner. (Remind me, did Jeremy find or materialize those boards in "Sabotage"?)

edit: In fact, UNIX was quite popular in academics during the 70's, so it is likely Hopper would design the console to look familiar, even if the internals are completely different.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Reesane » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:50 pm

Sithking Zero wrote:I think that the computer was built in the factory, but the aparati for creating it were taken from the gov't base.

I've actualy had a slight suspishion that the supercomputer was origenaly desinghed to be taken apart, moved, and then put back together again.
Mood today: O_o

made by CBIzumi

made by Carth
Reesane offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Astro-Xana » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:37 am

Now as for destroying those other supercomputers (Replikas) which would require the gang to be in the real world (in order to also face Xana's monsters there as well), how would Aelita manage to create her Energy Field? I mean, the Energy Field is like the most awesome attack I've ever seen and I would really like to see it in Season 4 with how it would look like and how she would manage to create it! Also, would her Energy Field on Earth look different than that on Lyoko?

Astro-Xana offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Location: Fighting Xana's demon monsters in the Nexus Core Star Center of the Network

Postby Tangent128 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:11 pm

Well, in "Tip-Top Shape" Odd and the nurse had those "Ki Blasts"...
The Energy Field appears similar, except for its color and size.
I wouldn't be surprised to see it- Translation wouldn't be much use if they didn't have their weapons on Earth.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Sithking Zero » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:20 am

Here's a question.

In the episode before "Final Round," William claims to have dreams about the supercomputer and the Lyoko Warriors. How did that happen? I mean, it's a fanfic writer's greatest cliche' to have their character dream about Lyoko before going there, but how did it happen in the show?
Sig by Carth.
ALL HAIL MEGATRON!
Sithking Zero offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Cassius335 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:35 am

We're blaming Quantum, I believe.
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby TB3 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:15 am

Sithking Zero wrote:Here's a question.

In the episode before "Final Round," William claims to have dreams about the supercomputer and the Lyoko Warriors. How did that happen? I mean, it's a fanfic writer's greatest cliche' to have their character dream about Lyoko before going there, but how did it happen in the show?

I had an email conversation on this subject with Sophie, the scriptwriter. She said that theoretically, anyone at Kadic has the capacity to remember, but that William was a special case.

The reason may be that William never had his memories from 'Lyoko-1' erased, and they were able to act as a trigger, releasing other erased memories, but only in his subconcious.

As for where the memories came from, it's probably those lovely old Ghost Timelines ;)
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AmericanLyokoTeam » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:19 am

TB3 wrote:I had an email conversation on this subject with Sophie, the scriptwriter. She said that theoretically, anyone at Kadic has the capacity to remember, but that William was a special case.

I wonder what the rationale for 'anybody at Kadic has the capacity to remember' is. I know we can rectify the tech to work with it, but why do that in the sense of plot or universe? Topic for another thread I guess.
R.I.P. in peace, Polar and Forest sectors 2003-2013
AmericanLyokoTeam offline
The Rank of Triumph!
The Rank of Triumph!

Postby TB3 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:47 pm

AmericanLyokoTeam wrote:
TB3 wrote:I had an email conversation on this subject with Sophie, the scriptwriter. She said that theoretically, anyone at Kadic has the capacity to remember, but that William was a special case.

I wonder what the rationale for 'anybody at Kadic has the capacity to remember' is. I know we can rectify the tech to work with it, but why do that in the sense of plot or universe? Topic for another thread I guess.

I'd perfer if we didn't hype that bit of info all over the boards personally, lol

I think we'd also suspected that people have the capacity to remember for some time - as for why they wrote that in, it was probably to justify William - Sophie also implied XANA had a hand in his memories coming back, so it could be a red herring anyway.
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rail Runner » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:51 pm

William is not a fish, hehehe.

I believe that Xana definitely had a hand in the memory thing. Thats one of the only few reasons I can think of as to why it happened that way.
Amtrak, its everywhere I want to be!
Rail Runner offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JeremyHopper » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:07 pm

Any extremely technical ways as to how XANA could've helped to resurface William's memeories?
~Sean

JeremyHopper offline

Postby Rail Runner » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:16 pm

Maybe he held a portion of his memories when he was transformed or something, and gave it back to him at some point? Thats a good a guess as any.
Amtrak, its everywhere I want to be!
Rail Runner offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Astro-Xana » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:43 pm

I have two questions:

1.) You already know that when Sector 5 was destroyed, that deleted all of the information found about Franz Hopper (which was to locate and materialize him which was the materialization program for Franz Hopper). Therefore, when Sector 5 is recreated, shouldn't that restore all of that information and enable Jeremy to instantly materialize Franz Hoppper into the real world? But as indicated in the episode summary for the 1st episode of Season 4, Jeremy doesn't do so. Therefore, why do you think that is?

2.) If Franz Hopper were to sacrifice himself for good this time (using all of his energy) in destroying Xana, would Jeremy be able to use the Franz Hopper materialization program in materializing Franz Hopper into the real world (even though he has vanquished himself in destroying Xana)? But if not, then could Jeremy first restore Franz with a DNA sequence code of Franz Hopper saved in Sector 5 and then materialize the restored Franz Hopper into the real world?

Astro-Xana offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Location: Fighting Xana's demon monsters in the Nexus Core Star Center of the Network

Postby Cassius335 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:01 pm

1) Franz Hopper is not part of the sector 5 program (if he was, he wouldn't be able to send Jeremie the progran to restore Sector 5, now could he?"

2) If he's been destroyed for good, he can't be ressurected. It's called logic.
ImageImage
---
"There are advantages in being honest about your own limitations: you gain the right to talk about the limitations of others." - Science of The Discworld 3
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby MY85 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:03 pm

Spambot 5 (escaped!) wrote:1) Franz Hopper is not part of the sector 5 program (if he was, he wouldn't be able to send Jeremie the progran to restore Sector 5, now could he?"

Remember the Franz Hopper dairy thing? I'm sure that thanks to that, he could track Jeremie and sent him that message by the end of Season 3.
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby Cassius335 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:19 pm

Even if he's been erased? I think not. Therefore, he was alive and well at the time. At the very least, I doubt a materialisation program is part of Carthage.exe (and the show never makes things that easy, anyway)
ImageImage
---
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Astro-Xana » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:24 pm

1.) Then that would be saying that Aelita was part of Sector 5 because the data for her materialization program was saved in Sector 5 since she had to operate the interface in sending new information about it. And I was not saying Franz Hopper himself was part of Sector 5--only the information about him (which was his materialization program created in "Final Round" including all the rest of the data about him).

2.) In the episode "Just in Time," Jeremy resurrected vanquished (disappeared) Aelita with a strand of her hair which contained her genetic code. Therefore, what I'm saying is would Jeremy be able to do the same with Franz Hopper if he were to vanquish himself in destroying Xana, but this time with a DNA sequence code of Franz Hopper rather than a hair? I mean, in the episode "Aelita," Jeremy did find a trace of Franz Hopper (his DNA sequence code) which would of obviously been lost when Sector 5 was destroyed since that's where the DNA sequence code would be saved (which he used for Franz Hopper's materialization program in "Final Round"). But now that Sector 5 has been recreated, shouldn't that restore that DNA sequence code of Franz Hopper including his materialization program?

Astro-Xana offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

PreviousNext