Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:33 am

Thread bumping

This is a forum for anything directly connected to this website. This is NOT for Code Lyoko discussion

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Thread bumping

Postby SamBlob » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:28 pm

Are double posts allowed to bump a thread? I've done this a few times with "Code Lyoko Characters In Your Favourite..." In those instances, the posts are at least days apart, usually more than a week, and I think more than a month once.

If the last post is edited, the thread stays on the second or third page and the edit will probably not be noticed.
My LF family:
Mother: StarWay
FairlyOddSister: CBIzumi
Awesome little sister: Mewberries151
Big sister with whom I often quarrel: Linii-chan
Mad scientist little brother: X1
Favourite cousin: Ransomed_Heart
Keeper of heraldic arms: Doggiegal (actually, I do my own coat of arms now...)

all welcome in Room#420
SamBlob offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Star Way » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:32 pm

As a general rule, bumping threads is kind of rude. xD;; But I'm not banning it, so... I dunno.

However, there's a way you can do this without double-posting. It requires some extra effort, though.

Edit your post, with "bump!" or whatever, and then highlight & copy everything in that post. Delete it, and then paste everything from the old post into a new one.
Last edited by Star Way on Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't bother sending me messages or anything, I'm not in charge of the site anymore.

But I do love dancing.
Star Way offline
Founder & Site Admin
Founder & Site Admin

Postby SamBlob » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:28 pm

Star Way wrote:As a general rule, bumping threads is kind of rude. xD;; But I'm not banning it, so... I dunno.

However, there's a way you can do this without double-posting. It requires some extra effort, though.

Edit your post, with "bump!" or whatever, and then highlight & copy everything in that post. Delete it, and then paste everything from the old post into the new one.

O.K., then...

Thanks!
My LF family:
Mother: StarWay
FairlyOddSister: CBIzumi
Awesome little sister: Mewberries151
Big sister with whom I often quarrel: Linii-chan
Mad scientist little brother: X1
Favourite cousin: Ransomed_Heart
Keeper of heraldic arms: Doggiegal (actually, I do my own coat of arms now...)

all welcome in Room#420
SamBlob offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby codeTONY » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:30 pm

Star Way wrote:As a general rule, bumping threads is kind of rude. xD;; But I'm not banning it, so... I dunno.

Edit your post, with "bump!" or whatever, and then highlight & copy everything in that post. Delete it, and then paste everything from the old post into the new one.
I actully do this alot, but I don't put the "bump" thing in there.
OMG Japanese desu yo ( ^.^)( -.-)( _ _)
I am the 334th user here on LF. bee tee dubs.
gay | UxO, UxW shipper | artist | writer |musician | trilingual | cosplayer | Otakon '07 attendee as Odd~ | ConnectiCon '09 attendee | Avatard | Odd's boy
My LJ!

♪♫♥
codeTONY offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Jeremified » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:44 pm

Star Way wrote:Edit your post, with "bump!" or whatever, and then highlight & copy everything in that post. Delete it, and then paste everything from the old post into a new one.
I did that to the Vending Machine game once, except I didn't do the "bump!" part. :D
thank you all for the good memories <3
Jeremified offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby MY85 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:51 pm

But it's kinda sucky when one person bumps several thread in a forum, especially bumping old ones. Just like mooshie did on Rant.
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby TB3 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:16 pm

I've done this myself on occasion - double posting on LTT instead of editing so that it gets bumped to the top page so that people know I've made an update.

I guess it's how often you do it and why that matters - I might get away with the above for example, but bumping your thread five times in a row as I've seen on IMBD and the official CL forums (went there for the first time ever the other day), would not be tolerated I assume?
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mewberries151 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:49 pm

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:

But it's kinda sucky when one person bumps several thread in a forum, especially bumping old ones. Just like mooshie did on Rant.

I PM-ed him about this. It is a bit spammish, and it violates the reviving older threads kind of too.

To answer your question TB3: The type of bumping that we really don't want to see on LF is the one where it's a one-word post that says "Bump", followed by successive "bumps" depending on how many times the person bumped it. It's definitely mild spam at least. Double-posting, with either new content or for other certain threads that exceptions are made for, is tolerable...because at least there's something new and CL-related (or at least Discussion related) in it. :)
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TB3 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:08 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Mew, Mod of Mods :)
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mewberries151 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:36 pm

TB3 wrote:Thanks for clearing that up Mew, Mod of Mods :)

:blush: You're welcome. XD If I've gotten anything wrong, one of the other Mods will be sure to point it out and correct it...some of the rules here are a bit tricky to figure out precisely what's allowed and what isn't, but that makes things a tad more flexible I feel. :)

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rail Runner » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:32 pm

ok....so let me ask you this mew...if you dont mind me calling you that....I had some ideas for YKYBWTMCLW....errr..you know you've been watching too much code lyoko when...but I was the last one to post for a good while...I had thought up some good ones, but lost them because I was afraid to revive the thread due to rules or whatever, what would have been the best way to go about doing that ...just fix my last post...or would it have been ok to add a new post? cuz im sorta confused....but thats normal for me.
Amtrak, its everywhere I want to be!
Rail Runner offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Mewberries151 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:38 pm

Virtualized STI wrote:ok....so let me ask you this mew...if you dont mind me calling you that....I had some ideas for YKYBWTMCLW....errr..you know you've been watching too much code lyoko when...but I was the last one to post for a good while...I had thought up some good ones, but lost them because I was afraid to revive the thread due to rules or whatever, what would have been the best way to go about doing that ...just fix my last post...or would it have been ok to add a new post? cuz im sorta confused....but thats normal for me.

Just editing your last post would have been the best option, I believe, within the rules.

StarWay gave some tips on how to "bump" a thread without really adding a new post. Read her first post to see how it's done. This is a very good way of bumping a thread back to the front page, but without double posting. ;)

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TB3 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:38 am

Ah I see what Starway's driving at - nice, slightly sneaky and devious too! :D
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rail Runner » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:04 pm

I read that again and it actually made sense...I had to take it bit by bit, read it all at once and it gets confusing. thanks for the advice.
Amtrak, its everywhere I want to be!
Rail Runner offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak