Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:44 pm

District 9

Anything goes here, so long as it's clean and follows standard forum rules.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

District 9

Postby Lyoko Wario » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:20 pm

Guys, District 9 is the greatest movie of all time. Take my word for it and go see it as soon as possible. I really can't think of any aspect of it that doesn't positively shine. The acting was great, the special effects were top-notch, the plot is brilliant, the pacing works wonders, and the characters are all very human (even the space shrimp... you know what I mean!), for better or worse. I know this is a movie that has more or less gone under the radar, but if you miss out on it, you'll be missing out on something so awesome, it's a wonder it didn't come out in the eighties. I read on some reviews that South Africans will pick up on a lot more biting cultural nuances than the rest of us, but there really isn't any reason you won't understand what's going on clearly and enjoy the experience. I highly recommend it. Better than anything I've ever seen. No joke.

I have to warn you, though, it's very R-rated. To use a recent example, it makes Watchmen look like The Care Bears Movie. Just so you know.
Lyoko Wario offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby ccbtimewiz » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:48 am

Fit for the BKO?
ccbtimewiz offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby . » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:44 am

Will it make me think about the human condition?
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Carth » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:28 pm

ccbtimewiz wrote:Fit for the BKO?

Well...unless you're explicitly talking about the R-rated bits, no. And usually, that which constitutes an R-rating isn't much worth talking about anyway. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but for now this can stay.

I actually want to see this, too. The premise sounds very unique; otherwise i don't know much about it.
Carth offline

Postby SilverPrince » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:28 am

Carth wrote:I actually want to see this, too. The premise sounds very unique; otherwise i don't know much about it.

The premise is pretty much literally South African Apartheid, but with aliens. Also, they threw in a little bit of "Oh noez, military contracting" and lots of blood.

That being said, I very much want to see this movie. Seems like it's got a Deep Meaningâ„¢ and plenty of action and such.

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Gauntlet » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:48 am

The film starts out a bit slow, but it picks up pace really well and keeps getting louder and better. I've only met one person who didn't like the protagonist (Wikus), but I think he's the exception: I really felt for the guy. I would say the very last scene, right before the credits roll--where he pulls out the photograph--really hit a chord. Like, almost enough to make me cry.

Luckily, I sucked it up, heh heh. Saints and Soldiers is the only film that ever got me, though.
Gauntlet offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby nodsviper » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:09 pm

Yeah, I went and saw this movie with a friend last Saturday and I have to say I loved it, And Its not one of those Hollywood remakes of a 70's or 60's movie either, besides District 6, that its based off of, I really thought Wikus did a great job as the Protagonist, and the fact that the aliens knew what the humans were saying, and they could respond, but that the humans couldn't make anything of what they were talking about made the movie better, besides Wikus, near the Climax of the film. There was a lot of Gore, but in a movie like that, its almost certain there is going to be some.
nodsviper offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Lyoko Wario » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:46 pm

What I like about the gore in movies like District 9 and Watchmen is that, though it may not be what you'd call tasteful, it's not gratuitous. The blood and gore have their place in the context of their story and scenes of gruesome violence tell you something about the context of the film's world and its message. Sometimes, it bothers me that some people are so squeamish, that they'd rather not have any blood or violence in any movie at all, even if showing such scenes is crucial to moving the plot forward and / or setting the scene.

Both Jackson and Blomkamp, by the way, want to make a sequel. Can't wait.
Lyoko Wario offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby nodsviper » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:36 pm

Yeah I am ok with the gore, it just seems a little over done at some points. And I would totally like to see a sequel, but I would have to think long and hard about a possible plot for it, thinking right now at the moment, I can't think of anything, It would be neat to see what they thought up of a idea.
nodsviper offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid