Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 2:55 pm

CN Real

Anything goes here, so long as it's clean and follows standard forum rules.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

CN Real

Postby Rho » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:26 am

Yes, folks.. Even though their first live action series (Out of Jimmy's Head) failed, they decided to make an ENTIRE BLOCK f live action shows: six have been made.

The Othersiders: A bunch of kids explore "haunted" places. They freak out when they see a chair. CANCELLED
Survive This: Les Stroud has a bunch of kids survive in the wilderness. CANCELLED
BrainRush: Cash Cab on a Rollercoaster with an extremely annoying host. RENEWED
Destroy, Build, Destroy: Some musician has kids blow stuff up.. And that's pretty much it. RENEWED
Bobb'e Says: Some smart alec kid in an AFV ripoff. UNKNOWN STATUS
Dude, What Would Happen?: Something that belongs as a series of indie YouTube videos, NOT a TV show, much less on CN. UNKNOWN STATUS

And to make matters worse, they have two drama series in production, both live action.

Pretty much all of these have been complete failures, thankfully. Survive This won't even be airing its season finale.

The reruns are starting to die off, so it seems like it's getting better.

And remember, it's crap like this that keeps CL from having a timeslot on CN (which is ridiculous, they still have the American broadcast rights)
"english isnt his first language, leave him alone. im more upset at people that have been speaking english their whole lives and cant write a readable sentence."
http://www.formspring.me/rholf
Presenting..the REAL Jean-Pierre Delmas!
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby TheAppleFreak » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:24 am

My thoughts exactly.

Showing explosions all day? Kids pretending to visit "haunted" places which are probably just film crews controlling everything, supplemented by computer animation? That has FAIL written all over it.

I could have sworn this thread was already posted.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby Rho » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:43 pm

I didn't find one.

It's fairly certain that The Othersiders is fake - for one thing, on CN's trademark page, it says "all characters" are copyright of them.
So that'd imply not even the kid's names on the show are their real names.

CN is showing improvement, they recently had another Powerpuff Girls marathon, they brought back Super Chunk, and live action is slowly but surely failing and fading away.
"english isnt his first language, leave him alone. im more upset at people that have been speaking english their whole lives and cant write a readable sentence."
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Lyoko Wario » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Brainrush is the only one that's even marginally good, but it still deserves no place in the Cartoon Network. And I agree, things are looking up. Teen Titans has made a huge comeback, for one thing, and Total Drama Island / Action and 6teen are both good shows getting plenty of airtime. Now if only they'd give a little more attention to Batman: The Brave and the Bold, I'd be a happy guy. Of course, though, I'm being realistic; for me to be fully happy with the Network, they'd need to bring Code Lyoko back and start working on some "classic-style" shows like they used to have, or at least license more animation.
Lyoko Wario offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Rho » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:54 am

BAHAHAHA

CN Real is screwed even more. Disney XD is getting an action block that will have Naruto Shippuden, Aaron Stone, Spectacular Spiderman, and X-Men Evolution.

Stuart Snyder needs to be fired...
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Taelia » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:48 am

CN Real is a piece of garbage.
Taelia offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby . » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:20 am

Thing is, CN is far behind ratings wise against Nickelodeon and Toon Disney. So they look and see what their hit shows are, and their all live action. If you watch any of that live action kid s*** you got no one to blame but yourself.

Although I do applaud them finding something that works in Total Drama, and going ahead and buying up anything made by that studio
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Rho » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:11 am

While not directly related to CN Real, Goosebumps is OF COURSE returning next month. Along with TWF, but I suppose that's excusable, since it's technically animation.

They'll learn eventually.
I can guarantee Snyder that if they aired CL again, it'd get much higher ratings than any CN Real show.
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby . » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:55 pm

Rho Rho Rho your boat wrote:While not directly related to CN Real, Goosebumps is OF COURSE returning next month. Along with TWF, but I suppose that's excusable, since it's technically animation.

They'll learn eventually.
I can guarantee Snyder that if they aired CL again, it'd get much higher ratings than any CN Real show.

Yeah I mean, Code Lyoko put Miguzi on the map!

....Oh...wait... nvm....
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Rho » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:02 pm

Since Unnatural History is on the same boat of stupidity... Let's compare ratings.

Unnatural History new episode: 0.7
The Garfield Show rerun: 2.1

That's a significantly higher amount. Why CN thought kids would want to watch a 1-hour drama set at a school that had to do with History and a museum is beyond me.
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby . » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:01 am

Rho wrote:Since Unnatural History is on the same boat of stupidity... Let's compare ratings.

That's a significantly higher amount. Why CN thought kids would want to watch a 1-hour drama set at a school that had to do with History and a museum is beyond me.

*sigh* like I said before, CN is trying to compete with Nickelodeon and Disney for ratings. Not only do these networks have high rated Live Action shows, they market their stars towards their audience (I.E. Amanda Cosgrove, Miley Cyrus) so that that drawing power alone will make kids watch. Don't blame CN, blame kids these days. They'd rather watch real people then cartoons.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Mewberries151 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:12 am

D.T. Evolution wrote:
Rho wrote:Since Unnatural History is on the same boat of stupidity... Let's compare ratings.

*sigh* like I said before, CN is trying to compete with Nickelodeon and Disney for ratings. Not only do these networks have high rated Live Action shows, they market their stars towards their audience (I.E. Amanda Cosgrove, Miley Cyrus) so that that drawing power alone will make kids watch. Don't blame CN, blame kids these days. They'd rather watch real people then cartoons.

I don't think the fault is completely with the kids. I'm sure if these kids knew that good cartoons still existed on CN, they'd watch them. Nick and Disney all have high-rated animated shows as well (FOP and SpongeBob on Nick for example, and Phineas & Ferb on Disney), but CN, while still having a few good animated shows (like Adventure Time, Total Drama, or the new Scooby Doo Mystery Inc)...hardly even seems to advertise them or play them often.

Kids can't watch what they don't know about. And in regards to the live-action failure, I think you're spot on that Disney and Nick take the necessary step of really "marketing" their live-action actors. CN doesn't do that (I mean, seriously, who are these people?), and if they honestly want to compete with these live-action shows, they need to get on that.
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rho » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:37 am

They are watching the cartoons, though. UH is one of the lowest rated shows on the network. The new Scooby series has been doing great, and The Looney Tunes Show will probably do great too.

Luckily, only one other series that's live-action is lingering, and that's Tower Prep, another 1-hour drama about school that will bore kids.

Kids don't want to watch a 1-hour drama set at a school. They want to see A kid and his talking dog going on adventures and meeting strange creatures. They want to see a guy that can transform into various aliens. They want to see stuff that can amuse them. Ned's Declassified was a show set at school that did well because it wasn't a drama. it was a comedic show.

Nick and Disney are way out of range for CN to compete with. Wasting their budget on these doomed shows is just worsening themselves. Use it to fund some animated series that will do well. Use it to fund the acquisitions of foreign series. Stuff that has a chance of doing well.

iCarly, Suite Life, etc. do well because they are comedies. Unnatural History is a drama series. It belongs on The CW, not Cartoon Network.
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Lani » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:54 am

The problem I see, first and foremost, is trying to put live action shows on Cartoon Network. It's misleading. The people who watch CN are probably looking for animated shows, not live action ones, which is why I'm guessing they're not doing so well. To put it in perspective, it's like trying to put a show about EXPLODING MONSTER TRUCKS on Food Network, or trying to put a cooking show on Animal Planet, or trying to put Project Runway on Spike. That might be a bit of an exaggeration but it would still be a problem.

I guess it also lies in the Animation Age Ghetto, where animated entertainment = children's entertainment. And children't don't JUST watch cartoons, right?

CN should go back and do what they do best. That or, change their network name.

Just my two cents.

/sigh
we will advance with sword in hand
for our cause is pure
Lani offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby . » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:57 pm

They should just start regularly re-airing shows from the DC Animated Universe and convince warner bros. to continue it.

This generation really has a lack of good action kid shows.

Lani wrote:The problem I see, first and foremost, is trying to put live action shows on Cartoon Network. It's misleading. The people who watch CN are probably looking for animated shows, not live action ones, which is why I'm guessing they're not doing so well. To put it in perspective, it's like trying to put a show about EXPLODING MONSTER TRUCKS on Food Network, or trying to put a cooking show on Animal Planet, or trying to put Project Runway on Spike. That might be a bit of an exaggeration but it would still be a problem.

I guess it also lies in the Animation Age Ghetto, where animated entertainment = children's entertainment. And children't don't JUST watch cartoons, right?

CN should go back and do what they do best. That or, change their network name.

Just my two cents.

/sigh

Agreed. Though it doesn't matter how many adults watch their network. If we enjoy it, great, but we're not they're target audience.

Though I have always thought a Wrestling promotion aimed at Kids networks would do well.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:31 am

D.T. Evolution wrote:They should just start regularly re-airing shows from the DC Animated Universe and convince warner bros. to continue it.

This generation really has a lack of good action kid shows.

Yes.

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Rho » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:38 am

You'll like to hear that Young Justice and Green Lantern shows are coming in 2011, in addition to more Batman.
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby . » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:50 pm

Rho wrote:You'll like to hear that Young Justice and Green Lantern shows are coming in 2011, in addition to more Batman.

No. Batman from Batman Brave And The Bold is BINO (Batman In Name Only). The only true Batman to me resides in the DC Animated Universe.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:52 pm

D.T. Evolution wrote:
Rho wrote:You'll like to hear that Young Justice and Green Lantern shows are coming in 2011, in addition to more Batman.

No. Batman from Batman Brave And The Bold is BINO (Batman In Name Only). The only true Batman to me resides in the DC Animated Universe.

You know, the comics were like BBatB for a while. That's where they got the inspiration.

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby Mewberries151 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:00 am

JesusFreak wrote:
D.T. Evolution wrote:

You know, the comics were like BBatB for a while. That's where they got the inspiration.

Not so sure about the comics being the inspiration (haven't read most of them, to be honest) but Brave and the Bold is /definitely/ an homage to the Adam West Batman show. I mean, seriously, the internal monologues, the self-narration...Aquaman actually talking in "whale song" in one episode. Clearly it's trying to be a spoof. XD
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ArgentDandelion » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:53 am

I am glad (most of, at least) the CN Real shows have been cancelled, and the block itself as well---it did not sit well with fans, including myself. As for th live-action Unnatural History, if anyone has mentioned this....I have not seen enough to decide my feelings about it, although the lighting on the show is not optimal.

As for the dislike towards Stuart Synder...we all make mistakes. The mistakes simply seem bigger when you are the president of a popular...well, cartoon network. Now that he knows better, he probably will not do so again, or, if he really insists on pursuing live-action, he will make it better-quality, instead of tasteless off-channel filler.

Cartoon Network would benefit from the realization that, although it is not as "successful" as Nickelodeon or Disney, for the most part (at least at some point in time) its programming is better. Ben 10 over Hannah Montana any day.
ArgentDandelion offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Rho » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:03 am

Tower Prep is getting more promos. Even when viewed from a prespective where CN wasn't a cartoon channel, it still looks god-awful. The joke in the commercial I saw during Ed Edd n Eddy was incredibly corny.

Let's see here. Tower Prep is a one-hour drama series about school.

CN is aiming for a demographic of 6-11 year old boys.

-drama series
-about school

Whoever greenlit this is an absolute idiot..

Ned's Declassified was mostly about school and it did well.

One, it was a comedy series that showed school in a wacky, amusing environment. Tower Prep and Unnatural History shows school in a serious, non-comedic one.

ND was on a channel it belongs on. UN and TP belong on Cartoon Network as much as Soul Eater, Family Guy, Bleach, and Metalocalypse belong on Nick Jr. or as much as Fullmetal Alchemist, Adventure Time, Haruhi Suzumiya, and George Lopez belong on The Fox News Channel (though that'd be far better than what they already have going. I'd pick that over Glenn Beck babbling any day.)

Once The Hub launches, CN is screwed. They'll be in fourth place, and if Disney X-D picks up, CN will be in FIFTH PLACE by summer 2011.

CN is run by idiots, plain and simple.
FOR GODS SAKE, THEY MISSED OUT ON GETTING DRAGONBALL Z KAI.
DRAGONBALL Z KAI.
THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SOMETHING THEY'D HAVE KILLED TO GET THEIR HANDS ON.

-sigh-
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby ArgentDandelion » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:19 am

Hmm, I saw the preview for Tower Prep on YouTube. (Twice, simply to double-check its quality.) It does not look too bad. Unexpected for a cartoon channel, yes. True, it might not be as interesting as the commercials depict it to be, but simply because it takes place at a school does not guarantee it will be terrible. Who knows? High School Musical's (although some of you might be upset by this particular example) tremendous success was unprecedented.

Although, considering you have cable service and I do not, (I have to go to a relative's to watch television) it is understandable you would become sick of the commerical if it appeared too often.

Apparently, I am optimistic for this network even with little evidence supporting my views. (Too much orange juice does that to you.)

I checked Wikipedia's article for The Hub. Judging by its programming, aside from Batman Beyond and Transformers, I cannot understand how it could be enjoyable....aside from a specific demographic, of course, but not the same demographic the other channels aim for.
ArgentDandelion offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby Tangent128 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 am

CN is getting a few things right.

Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. is already making a strong case for being the best entry in the series, with less than ten episodes aired.

There's a new Loony Toons series coming; hard to determine its quality yet, but it looks like they'll be making an effort at faithfully recapturing the old flavor, if not art style.

But really, the live action? It's like CN is trying to play follow-the-leader in the TV market. Which is only a strategy for mediocrity.
(yeah, the cool links in my old sig died. :( A few nerdy newish projects are here. )
Tangent128 offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Rho » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:05 am

What they have upcoming for animation looks great. Regular Show looks promising, MAD looks great, Sym-Bionic Titan looks -BKO-ing AMAZING, and The Looney Tunes Show will probably be good.
Rho offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Next