Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 2:09 am

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Anything goes here, so long as it's clean and follows standard forum rules.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Postby Lyoko Wario » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:31 pm

And it only took fifteen years!

Honestly, I'm more excited about this than I am about anything else from this year's E3.

I love Donkey Kong more than any man should love a gorilla, and the DKC games were a huge part of my childhood that I still love greatly to this day.

Whaddaya think?
Lyoko Wario offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby . » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:58 am

A resounding Meh. Theres nothing there I haven't played already if not a thousand times better (Last great platformer I played was Klonoa 2)

It just seems so... generic. Maybe it's the fact a lot of my nostalgia burned out a few years ago, but I'm just left with going "What's new? What makes this game great that I have to play it?" cause we now live in a world were playing a gorilla went out of stlye on the N64. Now I can go rummaging threw Las Vegas for something to hit a Zombie with... Or becoming the biggest asshole and post-apocalyptic america... Or play Batman. This just looks like more of the same old jump here, punch that, swing this, collect this, learn this boss's attack pattern and weakness.

And that's fine. But if that's the way your gonna do it, for me to pick it up I need a new spin on it. Klonoa 2 had cutscenes and hard as hell puzzles. Dynamite Headdy had a character that attacked with his head.
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Lyoko Wario » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:30 pm

D.T. Evolution wrote:Maybe it's the fact a lot of my nostalgia burned out a few years ago, but I'm just left with going "What's new? What makes this game great that I have to play it?" cause we now live in a world were playing a gorilla went out of stlye on the N64. Now I can go rummaging threw Las Vegas for something to hit a Zombie with... Or becoming the biggest asshole and post-apocalyptic america... Or play Batman.

The market is just flooded with games where you play a gorilla. Let's do something fresh and unique, like... hunting zombies in a post-apocalyptic America! Yeah! That's totally not a cliché!

The amount of something here is astonishing. I'm just not sure if the "something" is irony or hypocrisy.
Lyoko Wario offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby . » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:53 pm

End Smashing Success wrote:
D.T. Evolution wrote:Maybe it's the fact a lot of my nostalgia burned out a few years ago, but I'm just left with going "What's new? What makes this game great that I have to play it?" cause we now live in a world were playing a gorilla went out of stlye on the N64. Now I can go rummaging threw Las Vegas for something to hit a Zombie with... Or becoming the biggest asshole and post-apocalyptic america... Or play Batman.

The market is just flooded with games where you play a gorilla. Let's do something fresh and unique, like... hunting zombies in a post-apocalyptic America! Yeah! That's totally not a cliché!

The amount of something here is astonishing. I'm just not sure if the "something" is irony or hypocrisy.

Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3. Donkey Kong 64... Really after DK64 what else is there? In that one I got to play as a gorrilla, a monkey, a chimp, Orangatang, Silverback. They had guns and played instruments. I don't know how else they can milk the franchise other then this.

I always thought the 3D-2D Platformer idea from Paper Mario Wii was pretty cool and underutilized. They should just remake Super Mario Bros. 3 like that. Be awesome.

Yes there have been tons of Zombie games in the past, but traditionally they've all been survival horror games ala Resident Evil or Light gun and I hate those kind of games. Dead Rising was the first *REAL* zombie game IMO. Post Apocalyptia was a reference to Fallout 3, and I'll let you finish in the minute, but Fallout 3 IS THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!!!!
. offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby Lyoko Wario » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:17 pm

D.T. Evolution wrote:Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3. Donkey Kong 64... Really after DK64 what else is there? In that one I got to play as a gorrilla, a monkey, a chimp, Orangatang, Silverback. They had guns and played instruments. I don't know how else they can milk the franchise other then this.

It's not about that. It's about epic fun 2D platforming action. I'm a huge fan of that kind of thing, and a particularly huge fan of the DKC games.

I'm eager to see the new characters and stages, and hear the new music. Nothing wrong with that.
Lyoko Wario offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member