Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:36 pm

Anonymously vote for your political party

Anything goes here, so long as it's clean and follows standard forum rules.

Moderators: The Administrators, Moderators

Which party do you belong to?

Republican
25%
Democrat
40%
Independent
35%

Total votes : 20

Anonymously vote for your political party

Postby TheLQ » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:14 am

Out of curiosity, what political party do you belong to? Its hard for me to figure out by just reading your posts, so I'll ask directly.
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby knifey » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:23 am

I don't believe there's a single human who can properly represent me and my ideals. That's why I don't like the U.S.A.'s idea of a republic.

I never really understood what makes a republican a republican and what makes a democrat a democrat.

Although I'd say I'm pretty liberal since I don't like anything our federal government does, more money needs to be spent on education asap, our military industrial complex is stupid as hell, and there are so many laws that need to gtfo since adding new laws instead of replacing current ones is what seems to happen over and over again.
:hatguy: pew pew lazorz
psn profile
knifey offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:11 am

dr awesome wrote:I never really understood what makes a republican a republican and what makes a democrat a democrat.

In theory (and in the Bush years, ONLY in theory), The Republicans stand for a smaller government and less governmental restrictions, and the Democrats favor more government regulations.

In theory.

Also, kudos for recognizing the US as a republic and not a democracy.

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby TheAppleFreak » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:39 pm

Voted. Also, there should be an "Independant" option for those who don't agree on the above two.
I really gotta fix up this theme
TheAppleFreak offline
Someone actually trusted me to run this site
Someone actually trusted me to run this site

Postby SilverPrince » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:38 pm

What of the Libertarian Party? And the Green Party? And the Constitution Party? And we have Brits here, and they've got a crap-ton. Labour, Conservative, Liberal Democrat... Teebs is Welsh, he might go for Plaid Cymru, I don't know. Do we have Canadians here? They've got four major parties, Liberal, Conservative, the New Democratic Party, Bloc Quebecois...

Yeah. I doubt you can have this many options, so I'd just throw in an "Other (please specify)"

Also, I voted.

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby JesusFreak » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:45 pm

Where's the Tea Party? The Birthday Party? The Guns and Dope Party? The Pity Party? The Wiccan Party?

Thank you Uncle John's Bathroom Reader...

Avvy by Tangent, as well as the button

JesusFreak offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Location: Doin barrel rolls while usin bombs wisely and the boost to catch up. Can't do that, can you Starfox?

Postby TheLQ » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:04 pm

Dammit, I can't edit polls.

Opps...
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Mewberries151 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:50 pm

TheLQ wrote:Dammit, I can't edit polls.

Opps...

If you wish, myself or another Mod can edit the poll for you so that it adds in Other, as well as any other additional options. Just let me know if you'd like that, and which options you want put in.

Thank you. ^^
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AmericanLyokoTeam » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:11 pm

I think I've said a few times that I would vote for the libertarians if they stood a chance of winning. As it is, I view the republicans as the slightly more favorable of my two monolithic options, being that fiscal outweighs social policy for me and I stand to benefit more from lower taxes than government entitlements.
R.I.P. in peace, Polar and Forest sectors 2003-2013
AmericanLyokoTeam offline
The Rank of Triumph!
The Rank of Triumph!

Postby TheLQ » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:40 pm

Mewberries151 wrote:
TheLQ wrote:Dammit, I can't edit polls.

Opps...

If you wish, myself or another Mod can edit the poll for you so that it adds in Other, as well as any other additional options. Just let me know if you'd like that, and which options you want put in.

Thank you. ^^

Think you can add "Independent/Other?"
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:49 pm

:evil5: Done and done.

Technically, Independent is supposed to just mean not one of the two major parties, but now there is a party called Independent... *headdesk*

I solved all my family problems - one side being Massachusetts democrats and the other NH republicans ( I cannot tell you HOW hard core those guys can be) - by declaring Independent.

It's AMERICAN.

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby jym1 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:08 am

one thing that bothers me about this system, is that with only two major parties it's pointless to vote for any third party candidate you might like better because it's like throwing away your vote...
you almost have to vote for the lesser of two...well, I don't want to say evils, but the less bad of the two
jym1 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheLQ » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:07 pm

jym1 wrote:one thing that bothers me about this system, is that with only two major parties it's pointless to vote for any third party candidate you might like better because it's like throwing away your vote...
you almost have to vote for the lesser of two...well, I don't want to say evils, but the less bad of the two

There are a few exceptions: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100915/ap_ ... rimary_rdp
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby Overcaffeinated Sloth » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:12 pm

No, not really. Minor parties have speed and flexibility that major parties don't, as well as a generally stronger connection to it's entire base. They may not be the ones with the most voting power, but they are often the ones with the loudest voices.

That's the problem with being a giant elephant or donkey- you have to be careful not to step on any mice. And there are a LOT of mice.

Overcaffeinated Sloth offline

Postby jym1 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:42 pm

what do you mean by speed?
I'd say third parties only have voice as far as being able to make a big enough issue about something that the two big boys have to at least address it.
unless your making a coalition government (which has a lot of downsides as well) the % of electoral votes is all that really counts
jym1 offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby TheLQ » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:53 pm

AngelBolt wrote:No, not really. Minor parties have speed and flexibility that major parties don't, as well as a generally stronger connection to it's entire base. They may not be the ones with the most voting power, but they are often the ones with the loudest voices.

That's the problem with being a giant elephant or donkey- you have to be careful not to step on any mice. And there are a LOT of mice.

Did I hear speed, flexibility, and a governmental entity in the same sentence?

WHATS GOING ON HERE?
TheLQ offline
Star Fighter
Star Fighter

Postby SilverPrince » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:15 pm

jym1 wrote:what do you mean by speed?
I'd say third parties only have voice as far as being able to make a big enough issue about something that the two big boys have to at least address it.
unless your making a coalition government (which has a lot of downsides as well) the % of electoral votes is all that really counts

Two points. First, there are other elections than Presidential ones. The Electoral College electing, for example, a Libertarian? Not likely, the way things are now. But local offices? There are over a hundred Libertarian party members in locally-elected positions. There are several on city councils all over the country, and there's even one on the Washington State Supreme Court. And, hey, park commissioners and school board members matter to. My point is, don't think politics only matter in national/Presidential elections.

Also, allow me to say that I only used the Libertarian Party as an example. I am not a Libertarian Party member, voter, sympathizer or supporter.

Second, your usage of "coalition government" in the context of the US political system sounds strange to me. The way our two party system works, coalitions don't really happen like they do in parliamentary systems. In the Senate, there are two independents that "caucus with the Democrats." I guess that could be a "coalition," but it isn't called that or thought of as such. It pretty much means that, for all intents and purposes, they're Democrats.

I don't see an American "coalition" system arising any time soon. The third parties have for so long projected the image of "We're not the other guys, we're completely different." I find it unlikely that they could stomach joining a "coalition" with a "major" party, because they would lose their identity as a separate party. They would be just like the Independents in the Senate; Democrats in all but name.

Well, maybe they're not. Lieberman is barely a Democrat. But that's still the general public perception of the independents.

Stonecreek wrote:I miss the boob bots. At least they were peddling something I have interest in...
SilverPrince offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby xiaozanghou » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:41 pm

Registered as Democrat to be able to vote in the primaries, otherwise would've registered Independent. The Democratic Party is a bunch of incohesive weenies except for Alan Grayson and Anthony Weiner.
╭☆★☆
http://cl-evolved.com/
╰★☆★
xiaozanghou offline
Teacher's Pet
Teacher's Pet

Location: they asked me where i planned to go then i pointed at the stars and said i haven't really chose