Blind Sided by QuinSeparable
[Reviews - 10]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Still don't own CL or any related characters...nope not at all.

Yumi sat in her chemistry class as the teacher lectured, not paying attention. Why is it always the same thing with Ulrich? Why did we have to fight constantly? Do I like him or don't I?

The thoughts swirled around in her head. She stole a glance at William Dunbar while he was paying attention to the teacher. Or do I like William and that's why Ulrich and I constantly fight? She was so confused about everything. She hated fighting with Ulrich - she didn't know why she had snapped at him in the first place. She knew he didn't like Sissi...if she didn't see that then she was blind, but every time she saw Sissi talking with Ulrich, a large knot grew in the pit of her stomach.

"Miss Ishiyama?" the teacher's voice interrupted her thoughts.

"Huh?" Yumi asked, snapping to attention.

"Have you been paying attention to a word I have said?"

"Uh...well...I uh..."

At the best possible time it could, the bell sounded. Quickly she grabbed her books and began to walk out of the room. Just as she made it out of the doorway, a hand on her shoulder stopped her dead in her tracks. She turned only to see William standing there.

"Yumi. Can we talk?" he asked, pulling her aside.

"Uh, you know..." Yumi started, but was interrupted by William.

"Listen Yumi. I have to know something." he said. "Its about you and Ulrich."

Yumi sighed and shifted her weight from one foot to the other, uncomfortable. "William, please, I really don't want to talk about this right now."

"You like him, don't you?" he asked, his eyes looking directly into hers.

Yumi avoided looking back into his eyes. "I really don't want -"

"Because I really need to know." William interrupted, not letting her finish her sentence.

She turned her eyes and looked into his. "William...I...I..."

"What?" he asked.

"I just don't know." she replied. "I'm...confused. I just don't know what to think right now."

Without waiting for him to reply, she quickly scooted past him, relieved to get away from the uncomfortable conversation. Walking completely away from the classroom she spotted the others, but stopped walking when she noticed Ulrich standing there. Slowly she began walking again and toward the small group.

"Hi Yumi!" Aelita greeted her. Yumi made no reply, her eyes fixated on Ulrich who avoided her gaze.

"Well, nice to see we’re getting along still." Odd commented under his breath so only Jeremie and Aelita could hear.

"So, how was class today, Yumi?" Jeremie asked the angry girl trying to evoke some response from her. She merely shrugged.

Jeremie let out a slow whistle. "Wow can those two sulk."

"Come on," Odd replied. "Let’s leave them to sulk together."

With that said, the three of them began to walk away leaving Ulrich and Yumi standing there, facing away from each other, clearly not willing to talk. With an angry sigh, Yumi shifted her weight from one foot to the other, waiting for Ulrich to walk over to the rest of the group. However, he did not move. She slightly turned her head to glance at him only to meet his own eyes. With an angry huff, she turned away but not before she noticed something lurking underneath the anger in his eyes. She thought for a moment but before she could draw up a conclusion as to what it was, William made his way toward her.

Oh no. Not now! Yumi thought to herself as she watched him approach.

"Yumi." he said as he walked to her. "You never answered my question."

At the sound of his voice, Yumi saw Ulrich turn toward them.

"What question?" he asked, folding his arms.

"Nothing." Yumi snapped at him.

"Yumi, the only reason I asked…" he stopped and glanced at Ulrich for a moment before continuing. "…is because I want to tell you something."

There was a moment of uncomfortable silence. Yumi rubbed her arm in nervous agitation, having a good idea of what he was going to say.

"Yumi, I’ve liked you ever since I met you." William began. "I’ve been waiting for a certain person to make his move to ask you what I’m about to ask you, but he hasn’t. So now I’m going to ask."

"William…" Yumi said, trying to stop him. He, however, ignored her.

"Yumi…would you like to go out with me?"

Even though she knew they were coming, those words hit her like a ton of bricks. She stuttered for a moment, not knowing how to even begin a response to that question. Deep down, whether she knew it or not, she had been waiting to hear those words from Ulrich…or maybe she had been waiting to hear them from William.

She turned to Ulrich to see him scowling at the two of them. Memories flooded back into her mind.

"First tell me what’s going on with you and Emily!" Yumi demanded.

"Nothing’s going on. I like her. We get along really well. I don’t understand the problem." Ulrich replied, angering Yumi even more.

 

 

"Where were you?" Ulrich demanded as Yumi came late to a reconnaissance mission to Lyoko.

"I had something to do." Yumi replied, trying to avoid telling him what she had been doing.

"Yeah right like being with William!" Ulrich accused, angering Yumi. After all, he had no business knowing what she did in her spare time.

 

 

"I was sure I’d find you here." Yumi commented as she walked into Ulrich’s dorm room to see him sulking.

"What I need is for everybody to leave me alone, especially you!" Ulrich replied angrily.

"Hey if you want to make a fool of yourself in front of everyone, don’t blame me! No one asked you to spy on me at the pool."

"Spy on you? You’ve got to be kidding. I just happened to be there, okay?"

"Oh yeah right. What an incredible coincidence!"

 

Yumi shook her head as the last of the memories faded from her immediate thoughts. Ulrich had made her so angry before…especially earlier in the day with that stunt with Sissi. Perhaps this was for the best…

*~*~*~*~*

Ulrich glared at William and at Yumi, waiting to hear her answer. Despite the angry exterior he was showing, he was dying inside. William had warned him that if he didn’t talk to Yumi he would. Now, months later, Ulrich’s fear was coming true. Unconsciously he prayed that Yumi’s answer would be a "no", but he knew that she was angry with him. And when she was angry, she tried to get back at him.

Then again, she’d only do that by being extremely nice to William…not by going out with him! He thought back to how he acted when he became good friends with Emily. In order to get back at Yumi, he himself confirmed what he wasn’t sure of himself at the time…of whether or not he was going out with Emily.

He hoped she wasn’t thinking about that.

Ulrich watched as many different expressions passed across Yumi’s face as if she were trying them on. She glanced up at him. For a brief moment, Ulrich was sure she would tell him no, but when her face twisted into a scowl Ulrich realized that he was stilling wearing the same expression on his face.

"Yes, William. I would."

The words pierced him like a thousand laser arrows. He did not hear or see what happened afterward. He glance at Yumi one last time before turning and running off. He did not want her to see how much she had hurt him…nor the tears that began to stream down his face.

*~*~*~*~*

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]