Life Is Always Better After by lyoko scipio 1114
[Reviews - 2]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Chapter 4

The gang was at their usual bench in the usual spot on the side of the soccer field, waiting for Odd, like most mornings. While talking about last night’s party at William’s dorm, Sam saw an average looking boy with blonde spiky hair and a purple spot in the middle bouncing towards them.

“Odd!” She shouted, running to him and hugging him like there was no tomorrow.

“What, Sam? What’s wrong?” he questioned, as he wrapped his arms around her.

“Oh, nothing, I just missed you since yesterday. I had a great time at the party.”

“So did I.”

The school’s warning bell sounded, signaling that classes are soon to begin. Odd let out a groan, and flopped back down on the bench. He, Jeremie, Aelita, and Ulrich had double-science first thing Monday morning, which Odd and Ulrich hated equally. Sam waved good-bye to the group, and walked off to the library. She absolutely loved having study hall first period on Mondays, especially since there was always almost no one there, she could do whatever she wanted.

Yumi smiled at Ulrich, said goodbye, and walked towards the park, as the easiest way to get to her History class was through the woods. She just hoped that William wasn’t waiting for her again; she really hates that when he does.

Jeremie, Aelita, Odd, and Ulrich walked towards the science building, and Odd began opening the door as Jeremie’s laptop began going ballistic in his bag. They sat on the steps as Jeremie looked at the screen, and shut off the annoying beeping signal.

“Guys, get ready to miss double-science, XANA’s attacking! We have to get to the factory; he’s activated a tower in the Forest sector. Ulrich, call Yumi. Meet us there as soon as possible,” Jeremie said, closing up his laptop and placing it back into his bag. He, Aelita, and Odd set off towards the factory.

As Odd was following the others, he suddenly felt a weird rush come over him. He felt as if his brain twitched, but didn’t think anything of it, since it may just be because of a sugar rush. Normal Odd behavior, he suspected. But, what he didn’t know was his eyes changed. Not noticing, the three continued to the factory.

Ulrich pressed the “1” button on his cell phone, and “Speed Dial: Yumi’s Cell” popped up on the screen. Will you look at that? His own parents aren’t even numbers one and two on his speed dial! That shows some major commitment towards Yumi.

Meanwhile . . .

Yumi walked through the woods, and as she approached where the path forks into two paths, she smirked. She didn’t see William waiting for her, leaning against the tree, like he normally does.

Maybe he’s finally gotten it through his head that I’m never going to fall for him.

Yumi walked down the left path, towards her class. Suddenly and unexpectedly, she heard something coming from the right path.

“Hey, what the . . . Dude, no, hey! Ouch! What the heck? Leave me alone!” The Japanese girl stopped in her tracks, and thought to herself. She couldn’t pick out the voice quickly, but it sounded familiar. Whoever it was, she knew they were in trouble. She sprinted back down the left path, and when she reached the fork, she ran down the right path about forty feet before coming to an abrupt stop.

In front of her were a man and a black haired boy who she recognized as William. The man was grabbing William by the arm, trying to drag him off into the woods. William was simply trying to talk the guy out of whatever he was trying to do. The guy, still hanging on to William’s upper arm, spun William around so that his back was in front of the strange man, and grabbed his wrist.

Yumi stood stunned. The guy didn’t even seem to notice she was there, or really didn’t care that much. It finally occurred to Yumi what was going on after some observation. The man, for one reason or another, was trying to kidnap William. Why, she wasn’t sure.

I’ve got to help him; I can’t just leave him out here like nothing’s going on, Yumi thought, the nicer side of her taking over.

She dropped her school books in the grass, and fast-walked up behind the stranger. She preformed a simple ankle-hook, snaking her ankle around the man’s, and spinning, hence sending the man off balance, falling to the side. Yumi smirked to herself, but right as the man was going to hit the ground, he seemed to disappear, leaving dark black smoke hovering in the air.

Yumi’s eyes began to bug out, as she realized that the man was no man at all, but must be a polymorphic clone, sent by XANA.

Oh great. That’s all I need, is a polymorphic clone on my tail. Well, I’ve got a fight on my hands, now. I’ve got to finish it, as best as possible without hurting me or William.

The clone regained its composition form as the man again, and stared at Yumi for a second. She could see in its eyes the little XANA symbol, thinking to herself how stupid she could be for not thinking to check if it was a clone.

William, who had landed on the ground after being released from the clone’s grip, stood up, dazed at what was going on. He turned to look at Yumi, who was in a classic fighting stance, fists raised in the air.

The clone became the black smoke-like substance, and drifted quickly behind Yumi and William. It became the form of the man again, and attacked Yumi before she could turn around. It kicked her hard in the middle back, forcing her to fall downward, colliding with the hard ground. It then went over to William, who was standing there with a blank expression, roughly the same expression he always has. The clone grabbed William’s hands from the front of him, and forcefully shoved him backwards, sending him into a tree.

Yumi took a deep breath, placed both her hands on the ground, and forced herself to get up, even if she virtually couldn’t. Once standing and regaining strength, she was ready to attack again.

Alright. Not to bad, yet, although, William doesn’t look all that good. But I’ve got to stop this polymorphic clone! Now, just like in practice, with Ulrich. Go!

She went behind the clone, and positioned herself so that her body was facing the clone’s back. She crouched low to the ground, placing one hand on the ground, and extending her right leg. At rapid speeds, she spun around, knocking the clone down to the ground.

This time, the clone wasn’t prepared, and landed on the ground with a loud thud. But, given the excessive strength and power that clones have, the clone jumps up, landing on its feet. Now, it and Yumi were in identical fighting stances.

Yumi’s eyes briefly glanced in William’s direction, and she saw that he was stirring slightly under the tree. She thought she could see a spot on his skull where it looked like a big bump was forming, though.

Taking her eyes off of the clone was a bad idea, however. He launched himself towards Yumi, sending her flying down the path, right towards a large rock. Having the wind knocked out of her due to the force, she was immobilized as her body smashed into the rock. Upon impact, she began losing consciousness, as she felt several small trickles of blood run down her face. She laid motionless, sprawled out on the cold ground.

Meanwhile during all of this . . .

“Come on, Yumi, pick up! Where are you!” Ulrich said out loud, still waiting for Yumi to pick up on the other line.

Back with Yumi . . .

Yumi could feel her phone vibrate in her pocket, right as blackness took over her mind, and she went unconscious.

With Odd, Jeremie, and Aelita . . .

The trio had reached the factory. Jeremie pushed the button to the elevator, and everyone climbed aboard when the doors revealed the inviting elevator. Aelita walked over to the number panel on the wall, and keyed in the numbers to go to the supercomputer room.

Odd walked over to the back, where he felt his body, especially his eye, twitch again. He ignored it, still unsure why it was twitching. He could swear that one section of his head felt weird, but he thought it was because of the slightly bad school food. Who knows what’s really in their meatloaf? Odd figured that it was indeed because of the bad food that he inhales like there is no tomorrow.

When the elevator reached the supercomputer floor, Jeremie bounded for the chair. He placed the microphone headset on his head, and looked at the Holomap. He shook his head slightly, typed something on the computer screen, and turned to Aelita and Odd at the elevator.

“Get down ot the scanners, XANA’s already sent out five hornets and a crabbe,” he said, spinning the big chair back around so that he faced the computer. Odd and Aelita stepped backward back into the elevator, and Aelita pressed the code to go down to the Scanners room below.

The elevator doors closed, and the elevator began to move. When it reached the scanners room, Odd ran to the first scanner and Aelita to the one across from it.

“We’re ready, Jeremie,” she called up.

“Alright, starting the process! Scanner – Aelita, scanner – Odd . . . Transfer – Aelita, transfer – Odd . . . Virtualization!”

Aelita and Odd’s virtual forms appeared on the Holomap, and they fell to the ground, each landing on their feet. As on cue, the Hornets swarmed over shooting at the duo. The Krabbe’s weren’t far behind. Odd dropped on all-four’s and began running towards the Hornets, shooting at them when he came close. Odd felt a laser hit his right arm, and sure enough, a Krabbe hit him in that spot.

“Odd, you’re down twenty life points!” He glanced over to Aelita’s position on the holomap, and realized that she was being surrounded by three Krabbes. “Protect Aelita! She’s trapped!” He called, as Odd spun around in Aelita’s direction. Aelita was being forced farther away by the three Krabbes,

“Uh, sure Jer, but one problem: I can’t run to her that fast, I need my vehicle!” Odd said, as he hit a Hornet square in the head with a laser arrow, killing it.

“Sure, Odd. Give me a minute . . .” Jeremie typed something on the keyboard, and soon enough, Odd’s overboard virtualized. He ran to it, jumped in the air, did a flip, and landed on the overboard. He still had one Hornet to kill.

He fired at it viciously, until one laser arrow finally killed it. He turned the overboard around to Aelita’s direction, and sure enough, she was running out of power. She had her shield, but it wasn’t strong enough, so she was still being hit very much.

“Odd! Get to Aelita! She’s down to forty life points! Two more hits and, well you know. Go!” Jeremie shouted into the microphone.

“Alright, Einstein. Wild cat on a mission to save Princess, over and out.” Jeremie rolled his eyes, and placed his hand on the keyboard, checking something.

Odd zoomed over to Aelita, stopped the Overboard in mid-air, and jumped off of it onto a Krabbe’s head. He aimed at the XANA sign, and shot three laser arrows into the Krabbe. He back flipped onto the overboard, and controlled it down to the ground near Aelita.

Suddenly and inconspicuously, he felt a weird sensation come over himself again. He felt strange, like he had before on Earth when he twitched the few times.

His mind went blank and dark, and he fired at Aelita. Aelita was hit twice, lessening her life point total to thirty. Jeremie was shocked, and so was Aelita.

Aelita drew her shield, and tried to protect herself from Odd and the two remaining Krabbes. “Jeremie! Jeremie!” she called into the skies of Lyoko. “Jeremie! Odd’s attacking me! What’s wrong with him?” she asked.

“I – I don’t know! I can’t get a hold of Ulrich, either! I’ve been trying his cell! Aelita, use your energy balls to try to destroy the Krabbes. I’ve got a plan, its daring, but it might work. It’s our only hope,” he told her, and she obeyed. He typed a few numbers into the Supercomputer, and a phone number appeared on the screen. The screen showed that he was calling none other than Sam.

In class . . .

Why do these lectures always take forever and are so –

Sam stopped her thought as she felt her pocket vibrate. She sat up, and pulled her cell phone out of her pocket. Checking the caller ID, she saw it was Jeremie. She pressed the “answer” button, and placed the phone up to her ear. Good thing the teacher was slightly deaf in ways, and she sat in the back near the noisy heater.

“Hello? Jeremie?”

“Yeah, Sam. Listen, we’ve got a problem. I can’t explain now, its too complicated. Can you get out of class?” he questioned, hopefully.

“Yeah, of course. Why?”

“Just come to the old abandoned factory that’s behind the park, I’ll meet you in the elevator. Okay?”

“Sure, but – ”

“Just hurry!” he said, ending the call. She closed her phone, and placed it back in her pocket, standing up and raising her hand.

“Sir, may I go to the infirmary? I’m not feeling well back here,” she lied.

“I guess, Ms. Larson. If it’s a must,” he said, wondering to himself why students always leave in his class. Easy answer, it’s boring. Duh.

“Yes sir.” She gathered her things, and walked outside, heading for the old factory like Jeremie told her to do.

Meanwhile outside Science . . .

“Oh Yumi, where are you? Why don’t you pick up?” Ulrich questioned out loud, after getting her voicemail for the third time.

Something’s up, I’ve got to go find her.

He ran into the park, following the path that would lead to her class. As he approached the fork in the path, he started to the left path, but then heard what sounded like a maniacal laugh coming from the right.

He sprinted up the path cautiously, and stopped when he saw what was ahead about twenty feet. William was in a sloppy fighting stance, with an expression of fear smeared across his face. In front, was a middle-aged man with a white beard.

The man launched himself at William, who easily collapsed. Ulrich’s heart panicked when he saw what was blocked by the man before. In front of a large rock was his beloved Yumi, spralled out, with blood running down her face.

He jumped forward, and ran to Yumi. He held her hand in his cold palms, asking her to speak to him. Of course, like he feared, she didn’t. He moved her black silky hair off of her shoulder, and placed two fingers on her neck, trying to check for a pulse. Luckily and surprisingly, since he didn’t know that much about medicine, he found a weak pulse.

Too preoccupied by Yumi, Ulrich didn’t notice the man was behind him, until it was too late. The man whacked Ulrich hard with a heavy log, too big for a normal man to hold, Ulrich noticed. As he fell to the ground beside Yumi, he looked into the man’s eyes. Sure enough, he could see the symbol that meant he was either possessed by XANA, or he was a clone. Which one, Ulrich wasn’t sure of.

Ulrich stood up, and took his place in a classic martial arts stance, and fought the old man. As he kicked the old man in the chest and he fell back, he knew that the man was a polymorphic clone, because he seemed to dematerialize completely, into black smoke.

After what seemed like forever, Ulrich had finally managed to defeat the clone, with slight help from William. He could have taken the clone by himself, but he also had to protect Yumi and keep checking on her.

He looked himself over searching for wounds, and realized that he, luckily, only had a few bruises and bumps. William, on the other hand, had slipped out of consciousness with many cuts and scrapes, caused from being launched and thrown at trees.

Ulrich ran over to Yumi, and checked her pulse again. He took her hand in his, and felt around her neck, searching for a pulse. He found an even weaker pulse, and also discovered that she had a pretty big cut on the back of her head, which was the cause of the blood. She also had a cut on her hairline on her forehead, and a few cuts and bruises up her arms. He couldn’t tell about her legs, since she was wearing her normal long black pants.

He scooped her up bridal style, and carried her out of the park. He didn’t even think twice about William, he’s sure someone would find him in a little while.

Once he reached the nearest hospital, he dashed inside the emergency room. Doctors met him inside, upon seeing how much blood was coming from her head, and what had been soaked up in Ulrich’s T-shirt where her head rested on his arm. He hadn’t realized it, but he had a fairly large circle of blood on his shirt.

The doctors shouted all their doctor-talk, and soon, a nurse came with a rolling stretcher-bed type thing. They told Ulrich to put her on the bed, and to follow them. He obeyed, and answered all their questions along the way, including “what happened.”

Unsure what he should say, since it would sound totally unrealistic if he said “I went searching for her, since I couldn’t get a hold of her by cell phone, and when I found her, she had been attacked by a polymorphic clone. I had to fight it off, and now I’m here, and my friend is dying,” he paused momentarily.

“Too shocked to speak?” one of the doctor’s questioned.

They had reached the hospital room. A nurse wheeled the bed inside, and began turning on the machines.

“Well, um, yes. See, this is my best friend, and I am just so worried about her,” he said, stroking her face with his hand gently.

“Oh, well, when you’re finally ready to tell us what you know, it would be helpful,” The doctor said, as he inserted an IV into Yumi’s right wrist. One of the nurses left to go get something, and another nurse preformed other tests on Yumi, and soon, stats were being shown on the big machines on the right of Yumi’s bed.

“So, kid, what’s your name? I would feel better if I addressed you as your name, instead of ‘kid.’ I have a son around your age, and he absolutely hates being called ‘kid,’” the doctor said, looking at Ulrich. Ulrich, still holding Yumi’s hand in his, sat in a nearby armchair, and placed his other hand on top of her hand.

“Ulrich Stern, I’m a student at Kadic Academy, a few streets away,” Ulrich said, never taking his eyes off of Yumi.

She looks so beautiful, even when she has blood all over her, he thought, gazing at her face.

The nurse that had left returned, with a clipboard in hand. She handed it to the doctor, before tending to the blood on Yumi’s face. Paperwork, Ulrich assumed.

“Ok, Mr. Stern. Let’s see . . .” He looked down at the papers on the clipboard. “What’s your friends’ name?”

“Yumi Ishiyama,” he said, watching the nurse intently on her motions as she cleaned up the blood on Yumi’s face.

“Age and grade?” the doctor questioned, raising an eyebrow in Ulrich’s direction.

“She’s fourteen, grade nine.” The doctor filled in the information.

“Where did you find her?”

The questions went on and on, for what seemed like hours. Each response from Ulrich became harder to speak, as he watched her heart rate go down with each passing moment.

As her heart rate lessened, his grip on her hand tightened. He wasn’t sure what was happening to her, and he was too afraid to ask.

Back in the park . . .

Jim was out for his daily patrol of the park, and all seemed fine.

He strolled through the winding paths, humming some weird disco song, occasionally doing little dance moves.

As he came a little farther into the park, about halfway through, he came to the fork in the path. He decided to go left, first. After, he figured, he’d double back, and check the right side.

Jim made his way up the path, and about forty feet down, he could see something, or someone, sprawled out, leaning against a tree. He picked up the pace, and huffed as he jogged closer. When he got close enough, he could see that it was William Dunbar who was sprawled out in front of the tree.

He bent down next to William, and shook his shoulders, trying to get him to budge. Upon receiving no response what-so-ever after three or four shakes, Jim concluded that William was unconscious. He checked his pulse, and thankfully, found a strong one.

Jim scooped William up in his arms, and noticed just how many bruises and cuts were along William’s body. The worst, as far as he could see, was a long cut running right below his right shoulder down to about his elbow. It seemed to be healing well, most of the bleeding had stopped, but Jim was still worried. He struggled to pull out his cell phone, muttering to himself about how he should have gotten it before he picked William up.

He called the hospital emergency room, sadly having the number on speed-dial nine. The phone rang twice, before someone picked up.

“Jacobson Hospital, emergency room secretary Jenna speaking, what’s the emergency?” the woman spoke quickly.

“Uh, hello, this is Jim Morales, from Kadic Academy, I’ve found a student who’s pretty badly bruised and has several cuts, the most severe running down his right arm.” Jim began walking out of the park, balancing the phone between his ear and shoulder, while still carrying William.

“Ok, Mr. Morales, do you need us to send an ambulance? Or would you rather just have doctors ready at the hospital for you?” she asked, calmly.

“No, no, I can carry the child to the hospital; it’s only a few streets away. But, I would appreciate it if a doctor could meet me out of the emergency room entrance,” Jim said as he began jogging out of the park.

“Alright, sir, we will have a doctor ready for your arrival.” Jim pressed the ‘end’ button on the phone, as he reached the back doors of the Kadic grounds. Unlocking the padlock, he closed the door with his foot behind him, and it shut firmly behind him. He sprinted up the street, took a left, then a right, and ran down Jacobson Street, towards the hospital.

Jim was almost out of breath by the time he reached the driveway to the hospital. He stopped for a moment, to catch his breath. Then, he broke into a sprint again, around the back side of the large building, where he saw the “EMERGENCY ROOM” sign on the wall. Below it, there were two men dressed in all white coats, with a stretcher bed.

“Are you Jim Morales?” the younger, blonde haired one asked.

“Yes . . . yes I am,” Jim answered in between huffs and puffs. For a gym teacher, he sure could get worn out quickly.

“Alright, please lay the young man on the bed here, and we’ll put him in room 219. Would you like to come with us?” the other doctor asked.

“No, no, I have to get back to the Academy, Mr. Delmas, the principal, doesn’t know about Mr. Dunbar. I have to go let him know, I didn’t have time to call him and let him know.”

“Ah, Mr. Dunbar, is his name?” the younger doctor asked.

“Yes, William Dunbar. I have to go now. Call me or Mr. Delmas at the academy with an update on his condition, please.” Jim turned, and began to walk back to the school. Running, or even jogging, for that matter, was out of the question. The doctors wheeled William through the big doors, and to the elevator.

As they reached the destination floor, the doors opened and the doctors wheeled William down the hall to room 219. One of the doctors paged some nurses using the call button on the bed, and within a minute, two nurses appeared. They preformed tests, filled out as much paperwork as they could at the time being, and concluded that William was indeed just unconscious due to a head injury, and he would make a full recovery in a few days, a week tops.

At the factory meanwhile . . .

Sam had arrived at the old abandoned factory, and Jeremie, like he said, told her briefly about Lyoko when they reached the Supercomputer room. She was still confused, but he told her that she has to get to Lyoko. She followed Jeremie’s orders, and proceeded down the ladder that leads to the scanners room.

Once below, she heard Jeremie call to her on the microphone system.

“Ok, Sam, now step into one of the cylinder chambers, those are the scanners.”

She cautiously stepped inside, and turned around, so she was facing the opening. But, the door didn’t stay open for long, since Jeremie began the process.

“Scanner – Sam . . .” Sam closed her eyes in shock and fear, feeling a weird breeze-like wind fill the scanner. “Transfer – Sam . . . Virtualization!” Sam felt a cold, sharp wind blast from the bottom of the scanner, and she felt weightless. That’s because . . . she had been transferred to Lyoko successfully, hovering in the air while the process finished.

Then, as soon as it finished, she dropped to the ground, landing on her feet, luckily enough. She stood slowly up, looking at herself, amazed at what she saw. She was wearing a red short skirt, with black boots. Her top was a red and black checker pattern, with only one strap, on her left shoulder. Her hair was black with red streaks running through the front at both sides.

“Welcome to Lyoko, Sam. Aelita’s northwest of you. I’ll virtualize a vehicle for you, I think I know the best one for you.” Jeremie typed a few things on the keyboard, and waited. A few seconds later, a smaller version of the Overboard appeared, but with black and red stripes running diagonally on it.

“Sweet Jeremie!” Sam said, as she jumped on the Overboard. Just like Odd, she could do numerous tricks on it within seconds. “Alright, northwest, you said?” She began heading in that direction.

“Yes, you should be able to see Aelita in a little while. She’s surrounded by two of XANA’s monsters, called Krabbes. You need to shoot them on the head in the symbol to kill them. Destroy them, and protect Aelita. I’ll tell you what to do next after you do that.”

“I’m on it! Wait! How am I supposed to kill them? Do I have a weapon?”

“Yes, see those two pouches on either side of your belt? They have palm-sized daggers in them, if you throw them at a monster, it will kill them. I’ve made it so that they spring back to where they were thrown, which would be helpful to you,” Jeremie answered.

“Ok, thanks, Jeremie. This is all really cool!” She steered the Overboard towards Aelita, who she could now see. She hovered over one of the Krabbes, and tossed one dagger at the monster below. It hit right in the middle of the symbol, and then the monster blew up. Just like Jeremie said, the dagger sprang back, and Sam caught it, tossing it behind her back at the other Krabbe. It missed, but she threw the other one at it, which hit. She raised both hands, catching the daggers in her palms.

Odd shot and fired at Sam, rapid speed. She was confused, but remembered to get Aelita. She slowly glided past Aelita, who jumped onboard the overboard.

“Sam?” she asked, puzzled.

“Yeah, Aelita. Jeremie called me and told me all about this place, and that you needed help. Jeremie, what’s next?”

“Aelita has to deactivate the tower, the tower is northeast, pretty far up.”

Just then, Odd began firing even faster, and he hit Sam a few times.

“Jeremie! Odd’s firing at me! What’s wrong with him?” Sam called, dodging stray laser arrows.

“I have done some research, and I am sure that he’s possessed by XANA. You have to protect Aelita, if she gets hit three times, she gets de-virtualized, and sent back to Earth, and we have no way of deactivating the tower, and saving the world. Try to get to the tower as quick as possible, I can’t get a hold of Ulrich, but remember: protect Aelita!” he emphasized.

“Ok, Jeremie. We’ll do our best!” Aelita called to Jeremie.

Back in the Hospital . . .

Ulrich had answered as many questions as he could for the doctor, and still was worried sick about Yumi. The doctor had left a while ago, but a nurse stayed in the room, since her heart rate and now blood pressure, was lessening by the moments. She was still at okay levels, but they were taking precautions. He never let go of her hand, and fiddled with her hair, twirling it and fixing it so that she was absolutely perfect.

Feeling a little hungry, he decided he needed food. He hadn’t eaten since breakfast that morning.

“I’m going to go catch some lunch, I’ll be back after,” he told the nurse.

“Ok,” was the simple quick response of the nurse.

As Ulrich stepped out of the hospital room, he overheard doctors speaking in the room across the hall.

“Yes, Mr. Dunbar is his name, he’s a student at Kadic Academy,” one doctor’s voice said.

“Do you know any more information on the kid?” another voice questioned.

“No, just that,” the first voice responded.

Whoa, Dunbar? Someone must have found him. I should go see him, and maybe help the doctors with the paperwork.

He knocked on the open door of room 219. One of the doctors, a young blonde male, turned around.

“Yes? May I help you?” he questioned.

“Um, actually, I was wondering if I could help you. See, I’m a student at Kadic as well, along with my friend who’s across the hall. These two were injured in the same fight. I was hoping I could maybe help you with his information, I know a little about him, since he hangs around me and my friends a lot,” Ulrich said.

“Sure, how about you come have a seat?” he asked. Ulrich took his seat in a folding chair diagonal from the doctor. “May I have your name?”

“Ulrich Stern.”

“Ok, now, about Mr. Dunbar, how old is he?”

The same questions that had been asked for Yumi were asked for William, except for one question at the very end:

“Were these two individuals, your friend and Mr. Dunbar, injured in a fight against each other?”

“No, no, they were actually fighting the same guy, someone who was trying to harm William and Yumi. I’m not sure who it was, though. I caught only a small glimpse of the guy,” Ulrich said, slightly lying.

“Oh, well, thank you for –” A frantic beeping sound from across the hall stopped the doctor from speaking. Ulrich panicked, fearing the worst, and ran across the hall. Yumi’s heart rate had dropped severely low, and doctors were running into the room.

“Wha – what’s going on?” he managed to choke out.

“Her heart’s failing; we’ve got to do emergency surgery! Go!” he shouted, yelling for the nurses to push the bed down the hall to the E.R. Ulrich followed quickly behind, but was told to wait in the E.R. wing in the little room attached to the E.R. that had a window. He could look through the little window, but couldn’t go in.

His heart began racing, as he panicked, wondering what he would ever do if he lost Yumi. He finally got the bearings to call Jeremie. Even though cell phones aren’t supposed to be used in hospitals, this was an emergency.

His fingers seemed to fly over the buttons, as he dialed the number for the blonde haired boy’s cell. Jeremie had it on auto pick-up, so it was quick.

“Jeremie!” he shouted.

“Ulrich? What’s wrong? I’ve been trying to contact you all day!” the brainiac said.

“Yeah, yeah, I know! I’ve been trying to help Yumi! She was injured by a polymorphic clone! I’m at the hospital, her heart’s failing, and she’s in surgery! She’s dying! What’s going on in Lyoko? The tower should have already been de-activated!” he shouted, watching the doctors begin the surgery. Her heart rate and all these other medical terms and stats were displayed on a big monitor, and her heart rate was still dangerously low.

“Odd’s possessed by XANA, and I had to get Sam to come to the rescue, since I couldn’t get a hold of you! Sam’s in Lyoko trying to fight off Odd, which isn’t doing so well. XANA gave him some new power that’s making his laser arrows more effective, and faster.”

“Well, tell them to hurry up! If Yumi dies, and we go back in time, she’s still . . . gone. Please, Jer, tell them to hurry up!”

In the factory / Lyoko . . .

“Guys,” Jeremie called. “Ulrich called, and Yumi’s dying, her heart’s failing. She can die any moment, so hurry up! Sam, if there are any fatalities, even if we go back in time, they won’t come back!”

“Ok, Jeremie, I’m trying!” We’re almost at the tower, but Odd’s still on our tail!”

She jumped off of the Overboard, telling Aelita to control it. She walked slowly to Odd, who was walking towards her with a devilish look in his eyes. An eerie, wicked look.

Let’s see, what if he was only possessed a little? What if his brain was only possessed on one little section? I can still see the Odd who I love in his eyes, behind that awful symbol. I can tell he’s there somewhere, how can I bring that part out though, and mask the possessed side? Sam pondered, before something clicked to her.

“Odd,” she said, taking small steps towards him. “Odd, I . . .”

He got ready to fire.

“Odd,” she began again. “Odd, I . . .”

He raised his other arm. Both arms were ready to fire.

“Odd, I . . . I lo – I love you,” she said calmly, looking deeply into his eyes.

Slowly, the symbol began to fade, and he lowered his arms. Actually, he lowered himself, as he collapsed on the ground of Lyoko. He had returned as himself.

“What?” he asked.

“I said I love you.”

“You do?”

“Yes.” She helped him up off of the ground, and they hugged. Aelita had brought Sam’s overboard over, and cleared her throat loudly as a signal to them both.

“Hellooooo,” she said, “we have a tower to deactivate, and a life to save!” she said, as Sam did a cartwheel onto her overboard. Odd did a back flip onto his, and they set off to the tower.

Once close to it, Aelita jumped off of Sam’s overboard, and ran inside the tower. She slowed down in the center, where she waited to be lifted up in the air. A whoosh of cold air entered her veins, and she began feeling weightless as she floated up. She did a slow flip, before landing firmly on the top platform.

She walked over to the center, before placing her palm on the screen.

“AELITA,” it displayed.

“CODE:”

In the hospital:

The surgery was underway, and Ulrich was worried sick, watching Yumi coming frighteningly close to flat-lining. Then, as if he had been whacked in the stomach hard, he panicked.

Yumi flat-lined.

“NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!” he screamed, at the top of his lungs. “NO!!!!!!! YUMI!!!!!!!!!” he cried.

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]