Super Nuclear by Rudger
[Reviews - 1]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Chapter Four

Short Fuses

"But sir, He made a deliberate attempt to damage my property." I find myself saying again after being yelled at by my new headmaster with Sissi and Herb standing on the side smirking. I am at least two inches taller than Mr. Delmas but he still makes me feel like a little kid.

"I don't want to hear some ridiculous malarkey about one of my top students suddenly being violent. All I can see is some teenager with a 'cool' truck that likes to scare people!" says the headmaster.

I am typically known for having three buttons. He just pushed one, the stereotyping teenagers button.

"You were 17 once. Did you like scaring people? Because I don't and that would be the only other example you could have of someone my age, seeing as they are all in high school and you run a middle school." I retort.

"Yes, I was a teenager at one time and I did have my fun, running around on our motorcycles and scaring people, but we scared people our own age and it was all a joke. You on the other hand can only scare children younger than you because you such a horrible student you got sent from high school to middle school." Is his response. That would be the insulting my intelligence button.

"So you're saying that because your country has higher education standards than mine, I'm stupid? Well FUCK YOU!"

"That's Enough! You just got yourself 2 weeks detention. Now get to your dorm and out of my office!" He says. As I am leaving I hear him say to his daughter "Fucking Americans they're all so fucking stubborn and stupid." And that would be button number three. Before I know it, I am crossing the room at full steam. I can't stop myself now. I have to let it play out. I jump the desk that he just vacated and backed away from, grab him by the throat and slam him up against the wall. "Never shit talk the United States behind an American's back you worthless piece of shit. Just because you're partially in charge of me does not mean that you have any right to diss my country you fucking slime bag. I don't give a shit what you think of me personally but you have not got, and never will have the right to say anything about any body's country of origin. Fuck free speech, it's called common sense and if you think you do have that right at least have the balls to say it to their face you miserable, weak old man, "I finish and release him. "and while were having this nice little chat." I say looking over at his daughter. "Sissi, wasn't it?" she nods. "Why don't you tell him what really happened out in town today. And where did your little friend go? Did he abandon you? Real classy."

"H-h-he w-went to get help," she says, her voice barely a whisper. "and daddy, he was right about earlier today. Herb did try to kick his truck and all he did was rev his engine. I was trying to get him in trouble because I didn't like him." she says and burst out in tears.

"Thank you for finally telling the truth." I say. "I knew you weren't completely heartless. As for you." I say going over to Delmas who is still kneeling down on the floor and crouching down to eye level."Are you all right, sir? Do you need me to take you to the infirmary? You shouldn't get me pissed off. If there is one thing I can say I am, it's patriotic. I am sorry and I am willing to take any punishment set forth by you without question."

" I am fine, I may be an old man but I can still take some abuse, and I will not punish you for your patriotism. It is... understandable, I would have done no less and I'm sorry for saying that, but I will punish you for attacking the administrator of this school which is usually expulsion but because none of this would have happened without Sissi's trickery" he says, glaring at his daughter "I think the previous punishment set forth of two weeks detention starting Monday after classes will suffice, and Sissi will be dealt with." He says as he tries to stand up. I detect a strange tone in his voice. Is that respect? I wouldn't believe it it it weren't true but there it was, I just attacked him and he likes me for it, Most of the few people that I have attack outright have a note of fear in their voices. He actually is happy that I nearly killed him. Strange.

"I think that seeing her father in that position is hard enough on her sir. Maybe now she will think of the possible consequences of her actions."

"True enough, now go before Jim gets here. I'll sot this out later." He says and rushes me out of the room.

I go into the hall and walk normally towards the exit. When I get outside and see Jim running in the side entrance with Herb on his heels. I quickly head off to the dorms.

I find my dorm quickly due to the large amount of bags sitting in front of it. I go to open it and find that it is locked, so I open it with my key. The room is bare except for a computer, a poster, a standing closet, a bed, and a tack board. "Not much of a decorator but certainly a computer nerd." I take one look at the pc and notice two things. 1 that this has got to be some kind of super hyped up on crack computer, and 2 that it is still running, although the monitors seem to have gone into power save mode. "oh well, better move in while he's gone so I don't disturb him." I say to nobody in particular and looking out of the window to see the setting sun. "Better get a move on."

After about an hour The light coming in the window is orange and it shines on several open bags, a tube metal frame, and a sleeping ball of fluff. I yawn and stretch my arms. inadvertently hitting the desk the computer is on. The screens flicker to life and display a computer nerds dream. one screen has scrolling code that looks like something from The Matrix, another holds a sort of 3D world map of some kind of terrain, all mounted to a central sphere by what looks like big cables, and yet another has a program running called Super scan that looks like its running through a group of pillars or towers trying to find something, but what? and another window on the same screen is more computer code but this time it is labeled as: Transporter Sphere Code. "what is all this?" I ask myself and as I am reaching for the mouse the door opens and a dark figure enters and immediately begins yelling at me.

"Who are you and what is all this junk and why are you touching my computer??? get away from there."

"Dude I'm sorry, I didn't touch anything. honest. I was just looking because I accidentally hit the desk and the monitors came on so I was curious."

"Roger?" says the voice and steps into the light. I can now see that it is Jeremie.

"Oh jeez," I say and breathe a sigh of relief, "Jeremie you scared the crap out of me."

"I knew I couldn't trust you! how'd you get in? What's in those bags huh?"

"Chill dude, I thought you were supposed to be smart, I'm your new roommate, duh, these bags are my things. And I didn't touch any of your stuff."

"Oh, thank god. I thought you were trying to steal my information. Did you say you're my new roommate?"

"Yeah, if you don't mind of course."

Odds voice enters the room followed by his body. "Of course he doesn't mind. Do you Jeremie? And what was with all of the yelling?"

"We had a bit of a misunderstanding, and of course I don't mind, welcome to your new room Rud." Jeremie replies

"Thanks. where is everybody else?"

Odd answers "They've all got classes this period and then they're done for today." After he finishes a bell rings in the distance. "That's the end of the day. They will all be up here soon." sure enough, Ulrich, Yumi and Aelita are in the room in less than a minute.

"That was quick." I say.

Ulrich responds by asking "What are you doing in here?"

"I'm Jer's new roomie"

"Oh, umm... can we have a word in private with Jeremie please Rud?"

"Sure, I was gonna go to the bathroom anyways."

"Thanks."

As I head out the door and close it behind me I hear Ulrich talking and he says the words secret, password and zana. I get to the bathroom without a problem. I stop in front of the mirror and give myself a good long look. Man, I look like crap. I've been running myself ragged all month in preparation for coming here. At this point I am dressed in the New England standard summer clothes. An extremely loose white T-shirt with faded baggy blue jeans, which is how I like them because the shirt reduces how fat I look and the pants hide my over sized leg muscles. I have always been overweight but now I'm actually fat. The only good thing about being fat is that your leg muscles develop extremely quickly due to the weight they carry on a daily basis. In high school I could leg press 1200+ pounds without breaking a sweat and it has come in handy to make me strong and fast on my feet.

The rest of my ensemble is a pair of old black steel toe boots that I have had for several years now, and scraggly long curly black hair that has never been combed. I need a makeover bad. Maybe I will ask Odd for some tips. Haha, not likely. Thinking of Odd brought me back to the conversation they were having right now without me. Why did they want me to leave? I didn't do anything wrong. They're keeping something secret from me. As soon as Ulrich heard I was Jer's new roommate he had to talk with everybody. If it is important enough to keep within that tight circle than I guess I don't need to know about it, but they think I might find out, which is why Ulrich was so hesitant to welcome me. I can't risk my friendship on a stupid secret.I hope that when they are ready they will tell me. I only met them a few hours ago, I can't really expect them to open up that easily. whatever, I should head back.

By the time I finish my thoughts I glance at my watch and notice it has been about a half-hour since I left the room. "shit, they must be worried." I hurry back to the room and open the door to reveal something completely unexpected. My futon has been put together and up against the wall with Odd and Aelita sitting on it with Yumi and ulrich on Jer's bed and Jeremie in his computer chair, there is now another stand up closet and two dressers in the room (Tommy is in the bottom drawer of one) and all of my stuff is set up including my computer and X-box, although there is no TV so we can't play it yet. "Oh my god. how did you do all of this in half an hour?" I ask.

"It was easy." responds Odd "Jim brought up the closet and a dresser for you and Yumi went home and got another dresser her father was throwing away. After that all we had to do was set up your collapsible table, put your stuff away, and hook up your computer."

"Oh, thanks guys, you're the best!" I say and take them all in a massive bear hug.

"You're crushing my ribs." Odd says. I let go and we all start laughing. "How are you gonna play X-box? we don't have TV's"

"leave that to me, c'mon and see." I bring them out to my truck and fold the seat forward to reveal a 20 inch flat panel plasma screen.

"Whoa! that must have cost you a few Euros huh?" Jeremie exclaims.

"About 5 actually."

"5 Euros! where did you get it? Off a crack addict?"Odd asks.

"No I got it out of some guys trash on the way here. I looked at it and said 'maybe I can fix it'. I didn't feel right taking something that expensive so I slipped a 5 under his door, I still have to fix it, but here we are."

"Awesome! lets get it back to the room so we can make it to dinner on time."

Ulrich glances between me and Odd. "looks like you've got some competition Odd."

Odd comes back with "yeah right, like Rud could ever beat me. I can out eat anybody."

"Well I'm not just anybody, I'm Rudger, World class eater of all things uh...umm... edible! yes, thats the word, edible." everyone cracks up at that remark and Ulrich says, "I better go warn the kitchen staff." and we all share a good laugh.

"Oh yeah Rud, Well I challenge you to an eating battle. Whoever has more plates wins." Odd challenges.

"you're on!" I say. We finish bringing the screen up and head down to the cafeteria. Odd, heads over to the counter, reaches over and grabs the big pot of spaghetti."Thank you." he says to the lady.

"Hey, you cant do that!" she says.

"Were having a contest." Odd explains, motioning towards me.

"Oh, I see." she says.

"You might want to cook up another pot."

"No problem." she says and turn to the rest of the cafeteria. "Taking all bets, 3 to 1 odds on the new kid!" I look back and see a swarm of people including Jim himself making bets. He says, "Ah I used to do this with my coworkers at a taste-testing company. Oh, and I'll have you know that gambling is strictly prohibited on school grounds. Give me 50 on the new kid."

I look at him and ask, "you worked as a taste-tester?"

"yes I did." He says and glances at Ulrich who was leaving the room with the rest of the gang to escape the crowd. He seems to remember something, "But I'd rather not talk about it."

"Ok" I say and something dawns on me, "Hey, what's our take?"

"Winner gets 60 percent of whats left after bets are paid off, loser gets nothing." says Rosa over the uproar. "Ok, all bets are final, no more new bets, time to start the fun." She walks behind the counter and puts another pot on the stove. She finishes up, walks back to our table and puts the same amount of food on both our plates." I will be the regulator of this match. Nobody is to interfere in this contest and anyone who does will lose their money. The winner will be the one to finish the most plates of food. Now chow time. 3, 2, 1, GO!" Odd shovels down a plate in 30 seconds while I eat normally and stare Odd right in the eye as he waits for me to finish.

"Am I allowed to put anything on this?" I ask, finishing my plate after a minute.

"Yeah, whatever you want but it looks like it wont make a difference, this IS a contest you know." she says while serving another plate.

"Just bring me some butter and grated cheese." I say waiting for my order and still staring Odd in the eye while he finishes another plate and waits. my request is filled and I slowly butter my pasta and and sprinkle some cheese over it. I put down the cheese shaker and pick up my fork. I twirl it in the pasta for a moment and then decide against using it. I put the fork down and pick up the plate.

"C'mon, what are you waiting for?" is heard in the crowd that gathered around the table.

I say "This" and dump the whole plate in my mouth without stopping. I chew twice and swallow.

"What the...?" and "Holy hell!" are heard in the crowd and everyone is amazed except Odd, who is staring at me while the plates are being loaded once more. We continue on this course for six more plates, staring unblinkingly into each others eyes, waiting for a sign of defeat. On the ninth plate I look away from Odd. I can see joy rising in his eyes when I look back. Then I let out a belch to shake the windows and continue eating. Odd's expression fades to one of dispare as we enter the tenth plate. "Whats the matter Odd? Lost the will to fight?" I taunt him.

"No," he replies in a strained voice, "I'm just gathering my strength." I can hear pain in his voice. He's stuffed to the gills but won't admit defeat. He'll probably go until his stomach bursts. We'll just have to wait and find out. The tenth plate is finished and Odd's face is contorted in pain but he refuses to give in. Damn it all to hell! I can't sit here and watch him kill himself. "I'm done, I cant eat any more." I say, Trying to force a victory on Odd.

"No Way! You're just trying to make me win," he says, his voice straining. "Lets g.." and finishes his sentence by vomiting all over the table. Cries of disgust and disappointment are heard along with cheering.

"Are you happy now Odd, you lost. At the cost of your dignity, title and your health."

"It was worth it. I haven't had an actual challenger before now" he says before passing out. I collect my winnings, over 1200 Euros, and carry Odd up to his room over my shoulder. The others, who left before the battle, were in his room waiting for him to come in bragging, they rush over and take him and put him on his bed."What the fuck happened?" says Ulrich in a this-Is-your-fault voice.

"He ate too much and puked everywhere."

"Why did you let him do it you creep?" Yumi spouts in anger.

"I tried to throw the fight but he wouldn't let me."

"Yeah right! I bet you did something to him you bastard! Just get the fuck out of here."

"I didn't do anything!" I try to explain then Ulrich rushes up to me and slugs me in the face with no apparent effect aside from a grunt.

"She said get the fuck out! Now go!" he says and slugs me again.

"Fine, I'm gone." I say calmly and walk out of the room. I stop in my room to get Tommy and check for damage on my face. Some major bruising is starting to show. I go outside and get in my truck. Jim comes over to me and says "Sorry Roger, can't leave the grounds after dark."

"Oh, really? Well this is for the damage." I say and hand him all my winnings.

"What damage?"

"This damage" I say as I start my truck. I reverse out of my spot shift to drive and smash through the gates of the school, roaring away into the night.
~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]