Postlude by soul of legonds
[Reviews - 25]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
New chappy, sorry for the wait.

Jeremie looked at the screen displaying the new program. The mass of code was the basis for a new AI, programming everything by himself would take years, and time was something Jeremie did not think he had. With a few taps on the nano-board he input the designs of the old scanner and the datalizers that he had worked on at VXC. Jeremie gave the final command to the AI, through trial and error find a design for the scanner that would expose the subject to minimal epsilon radiation. 

 

Immediately five simulations started, each one testing different parameters for the original scanner. All failed after about thirty seconds, there was not enough power to get them any were. Jeremie sighed, this would take a long time and he had somewhere he needed to be in a little while, so he left the computer to do its work.

 

Today Jeremie was scheduled to meet a student’s parents; he hadn’t paid too much attention to the notice so he really did not know who it was. Thankfully the sewers that lead to the factory were no longer in use, most buildings were going to the resource neutral method, recycling water with single toilet filters, eco-coolers, electronic paper. All of it was so different then when he had lived here for those years. Now the sewers were slowly being converted into underground walkways, this was one of those but it was fairly unused, but well tended all the same. Jeremie walked out of the public entrance this time, the old tunnel in the park was cramped and rusted, so this was a not only nice but less conspicuous.

 

Jeremie arrived in his room and checked the time of the meeting, 2:15. He was about 4 hours early but as he glanced over at the stack of electronic paper pads he knew he would be busy for that time. Jeremie was particularly forgetful, or lazy, he had just been spending so much time at the computer that he had neglected the piles of work that he was suppose to grade. So of the work was done neatly and correctly, others had put no effort in at all, some of the papers reminded him of Odd.  About halfway through the time Jeremie ran across the pad that belonged to Erin Pripe, the paper was technically all correct but the child had put the answers if such a round-a-bout fashion, or only answered the question if you read it differently than intended.

 

Jeremie smiled, the kid was quirky alright. But Jeremie was a teacher and he did have a job, but still the kid did put some effort into it. Jeremie marked the B grade box, attached a short message and sent it on. At that moment a soft knock came from the door way, Jeremie looked up and saw a young man with dark red hair standing in the door.

 

“Oh, come in, come in.” Jeremie gestured, the man grabbed to chairs from the rows of tables. He placed one in front of the desk and flipped the other one around and sat in it backwards. Halfway through the show a lady came in, long brown hair and a kind face. She sat down in the chair that her husband had pulled up for her.

 

“A pleasure to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Sharron,” Jeremie smiled. Mr. Sharron returned the favor, it was a warm comforting smile. The Mrs., however was a little reluctant to smile, but did evenutaly.

 

“Nice to meet you too Professor, our daughter has mentioned you several times in her postcards home. Seems you’re her favorite teacher.” The man spoke English, the accent would have placed him around Colorado. Sensing that it would be easier for all parties involved Jeremie began to speak in English as well.

 

“Well, I had no idea. She’s very quiet in class so I had no reason to believe that she enjoyed it.”

“Well she loves chemistry and physics, I understand you are teaching both.” This time it was Mrs. Sharron that spoke, she also spoke English but with a more English tone.

 

“Yes, the school has asked me to teach both, it does get a bit hectic. But it is enjoyable.”

 

The pleasantries were soon over and Jeremie got the idea. Grace was board, very board. The assignments were fun, but did not challenge her. While they talked Jeremie got an idea; if Grace was a relative of Aelita she would share much of the same DNA. Studying her might lead to a way to get a cure for Aelita and the others. Going out on a limb Jeremie suggested something.

 

“I have an off sight lab, if she would like to work with me there I would gladly have her help.”

 

“Hmmm, that could work.” Mr. Sharron said thoughtfully.

 

“Hold on, no offence Professor, but I don’t want my child going anywhere alone.” Mrs. Sharron interjected. Jeremie thought quickly, and came up with something (he was a geniuses you know).

 

“What if I opened it up as a club, have a couple other kids come in? I could select a few that were high in the class markings, and some in the lower and they could all help each other.” This choice might not be ideal, but I need to do something, and besides they all could help me, thought Jeremie.

 

Mrs. Sharron nodded, a few more pleasantries were had, and they left.

  

The next day Jeremie handed out a quiz. He couldn’t help smile at the expressions of the kids. Most sat there with their mouths open after reading the questions. Grace and another kid, Grant Onyx, just looked at the quiz and began to draw the answers. Randy Kralliar and Erin Pripe were the opposite ends of the spectrum. Randy turned the paper over and went to sleep. Erin ripped up the fist sheet he was handed, and when Jeremie handed him another he began to bang his head against the table repeatedly.

 

So the day after the quiz when Jeremie announced that four students would be drafted for an extra class held in the evening all four were agape.  The students were Erin Pripe, Randy Kralliar, Grace Sharron, and Grant Onyx.

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]