Postlude by soul of legonds
[Reviews - 25]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Jeremie sat pushing his dinner around, in the time that he had left the school’s cafeteria had done what Jeremie had considered impossible, surgically remove every gram of flavor from the food. Jeremie looked through the one way window into the students side of the trailer. After a second Jeremie’s eyes found the members of his newest experiment; Erin was entertaining another group of people, he was always entertaining someone, but the people changed every week, Randy was on the other side of room with one or two other friends, all three of them were giving death glares to a gang of people across the room, two of which looked familiar. Grant was alone, slowly chewing his meal as he read the book in his left hand, and Grace too was by herself, headphones covered her ears as ignored the near plastic food in front of her.

How much these for appeared to be like the cohorts of his youth, how easy it would be to stereo type them as his friends. But as Jeremie well knew, these kids were not those people, the character quirks were so different, none seemed to have Odd’s iron stomach (thank god), Grace’s kind face was held in a sour grimace, each person seemed to be night and day to the other. Were Odd and Ulrich held some similarities Erin and Randy, or Grant for that matter, were so far apart it was hard to tell if they were even from the same planet.

Jeremie sighed and pushed himself up out of the hard chair and walked over to the window were the used dishes were place, and he sat down his plat. One of the few cafeteria’s perks for teachers were glass plates instead of biocarbenated plastic trays. Jeremie walked toward the entrance to the underground walkways. One week before the experiment would begin.

In a flash of blue Jeremie appeared in the dark computer room. The screens visible showed that the new scanner had been perfected and any risk factor was deemed negligible. Sitting down in the inclined chair Jeremie had the strangest feeling of being watched.

“Welcome back Jeremie,” a cool, metallic came from the speakers, a short pause then it continued, “Primary Objective completed, device that uses minimal amounts of Epsilon radiation to turn mater into energy and convert to digital storage facility for extended time. Completion time 10:57:54.”

Jeremie blinked, this was odd, the task had been given to the AI he had made, but speak had not been implemented into the program. But this train of thought was interrupted by the voice again, “Secondary Objective, impute by program AANB7-059I, ongoing.”

Jeremie had no idea what that program did. Jeremie taped the Nano-board, a box showing the summery of program AANB7-050I appeared. Apparently it was the base program for a scrapped VXC project to build a human interface. A second latter Jeremie was poring over the logs of the human interface project. The size of the project was staggering, voice command, mind reading, holographic terminals, and Jane. Jane was the code name for program AANB7-059I. The program seemed to have worked to perfection, a benevolent, self aware, ethical AI. Looking closer Jeremie found something a little bit more disturbing though, AANB-045C was an early version of Jane, nearly identical, except Zeus had a loop hole. The AI had found a way to override the ethical limitations placed upon him, make his own ethics, write his own rules, change his very perception of good and evil. In essence they had created a second XANA. Zeus was hard to shut down, he was only stopped by the next working personality to come along, Jane. After Jane had locked both Zeus and its self in a secure hard drive the drive was destroyed and a copy of Jane’s program was added to the VXC memory.

“Command; add program AANB7-59I to base code of AI 1. Integrate completely, have all decisions routed through said program.” Jeremie smiled, while voice command was a dry and embarrassing way to get things done, for projects like this I would be best not to program everything.

The voice played over the speakers again, “Name selection presses initialized.” Jeremie wondered whose idea it was to put a name selection program in. “Mind Scan initialized” He blinked, how did the AI get a hold of the nano-boards Mind Scan already? “Name chosen. Activating voice selections.” Jeremie thought well I sure hope it doesn’t chose some Cow boy accent.

A voice of a young girl came over the speakers, it wasn’t the voice of a child, but not quite that of a woman either, and it didn’t sound like that of a teen ager either. But the voice sounded pleasant, like some sweet memory that he had forgotten, like a person he had never met but seemed to know instinctively. “Hi! I'm Kari. Good to meet you!”

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]