Postlude by soul of legonds
[Reviews - 25]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

With a quick beep the silicon crystal lit up. Jeremie sighed; the super computer had suffered extensive damage in the time since he had left. Most of the circuits had collapsed and the rest hardware was extremely corroded. Even at its peak the supercomputer barley compared to a pocket calculator now.

 

Jeremie had taken up the job of upgrading and restoring the computer. Circuits were no longer made of gold or silicon, but rather were now nano-bot channels incased in silicon crystals. The old computer looked archaic next to the pile of brand new computer parts that Jeremie was trying to integrate in to, and replace with, the old computer.

           

Jeremie walked over to the lexscreen  that was monitoring the computers systems,

after a second a new line of text appeared on the growing lit. Jeremie sighed again and placed the thin pad back on the ground. The lexscreen was, aside from the right side, a rectangle with a fabric of nano-fibers stretched across the frame.  The right side looked almost like the cell phones that he had used as a child. The nano-fibers served as the touch sensitive surface and the actual screen.

 

            Jeremie walked over to a podium next to a large white circular pad. Jeremie tapped the center of the Lexscreen that acted as the control panel for the pad. After a second a blue glow rose from the pad. The light grew larger and brighter, then it flickered out. Now on the top of the white surface sat another pile of parts for the computer. Jeremie’s mind reminded him where the parts were coming from.

 

           The parts were coming from an underground where house in the northern part Scotland. The company that had made these top secret parts was a multinational cooperation hat supplied parts for the governments of different nations. And  this cooperation had employed Jeremie for five years. But now here he was stealing from VXC.

 

           But Jeremie pushed aside his conscience and began working again. Outside the late Sunday sun set. Hours passed, the clock on the portable Lexscreen showed 1:42 am. Jeremie looked into the 3 foot deep impression in the floor, the grey had been replaced by soft blue glowing crystals. Now only a 9 foot spire remained. The object was about 2 foot around, gold lines formed patters on the surface. Jeremie jumped down and walk the narrow walk way. Jeremie examined the object, there were two depressions over which were small bands of mettle. He saw that the band could be rotated.

 

           Jeremie turned the bands and heard a click, now he could feel the weight of the spire pulling his hands toward the ground. Jeremie tried to balance the spire but was unsuccessful. Jeremie lay the object on its side, being careful not to brake the fragile circuits. Then using the bands as handles Jeremie lifted the spire.  Carefully balancing Jeremie made his way to the edge of the impression.  With great effort Jeremie managed to get the object over the wall. Jeremie scrambled up out of the computer pit. Crystals, nano-bot channels silver hexagonal panels, a few nano-fiber optical wires, the pit looked like a futuristic city.

 

           A blip form the beaming pad consol brought Jeremie back to reality. The blip had alerted Jeremie that it was 5 minutes till two. Jeremie strode over to the podium and taped the lexscreen. The panel displayed figures, the time , and button to activate different programs.  Jeremie taped one of the virtual buttons and bad began tapping the new figures that had appeared.

 

           At 1:58 a globe appeared, a flashing blue hexagon rested over a point in Antarctica. At 1:59 the hexagon flashed yellow. The clock changed to two o’clock, a box came up saying “net work open”, and Jeremie’s fingers began tapping the virtual keyboard at the bottom of the screen.  At the top the globe was replaced by the blue print of a warehouse. With Jeremie still feverously taping, the image changed again.  It was like a bird fly through the wireframe maze of the warehouse.

  

          2:02 the display stopped inside a room. Inside the room hanging in mid air was a wireframe cylinder. Jeremie accessed the energy field projectors. Jeremie in his concentration failed to notice the irony in the naming of these devices. 2:04. Jeremie worked with the projectors. His goal was to turn the energy field that these emitted into a temporary teleported field. Two boxes came up, “action executed” and “net work closing in 45 seconds”

   

         38 seconds. Jeremie taped the display, a third box appeared “commence beam”

            35 seconds. Jeremie activated the beam

 

            33 seconds. The blew glow rose out of the pad

 

            25 seconds. The light now reached 3 feet in height

 

            15 seconds. The glow was 6 feet high.

 

10 seconds. The intensity of the light began to grow. 

 

5 seconds. The edges of the glow became more defined.

 

4,3,2, The light from the beaming pad disappeared, in its stead sat a light blue, five and one half foot cylinder. It was sleek, thin, and very new. A spider web of etchings covered the surface. Small silver letters identified this as RR4.

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]