Frenemies by Lynn Seseege
[Reviews - 2]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

After hours of searching without results, the group retired to their dorms. Phoenix fell asleep in her dorm not long after her head hit the pillow.

She opened her eyes and blinked in the bright sunlight. Ships were everywhere. One red-painted ship floated lightly next to her. A name was emblazoned in golden lettering on the side; The Phoenix Feather. She was on a dock, and had a funny feeling she had been here before.

"Phoenix, darling, come up here!" a voice called down.

Phoenix looked up and saw a man leaning over the rail on the ship. He was smiling and beckoning to her. She saw a gangplank nearby and ran up the board onto the boat. She stepped up onto the deck.

The man came toward her. He was wearing a navy-blue jacket with a captain's hat. His boots were shiny and black. His blue jeans were faded. He had a round face with dark hair framing his dark eyes.

The man embraced her. "Good to see you, honey," he said.

"Papa?" she asked.

"Of course. You've grown so much. It's a shame that your mother died. She was a wonderful woman, but a little too keen on your safety. She wouldn't let you come with me because seafaring as a pirate is dangerous. But you're here now, and you'll be safe," he said.

"Oh, papa, I've missed you so much!" Phoenix cried.

"I've missed you too, darling," he said.

 

 

Morning light shone through the window, bringing Phoenix from her dream. She rolled over and yawned. Aelita was waking up in the bunk below her.

"Morning," Phoenix grunted.

"Morning," Aelita responded.

The two girls got ready and met up with the rest of the group for breakfast. Phoenix was brooding and said little. The table was silent. Pheonix's mood was infectous among the others. Finally, energetic Aelita was too vexed not to say anything.

"What's with you, Phoenix?" she snapped.

"Hmm?"

Phoenix looked up from the table she had been staring at.

"What's with you?" Aelita repeated.

"Oh. Nothing, nothing. I just had a funny dream, that's all," Phoenix said dissmissively.

"Really? What was it about?" Aelita asked.

"My papa and his ship. My papa was a pirate and my mother died. I went to live with him on the ship because I was too young to live on my own," Phoenix said.

Aelita looked at Jeremie. Jeremie pushed his glasses up on his nose.

"Did anything seem famiiar to you? Like de ja^ vu?" he asked.

"Yeah. The whole thing. It felt like I'd been there before," Phoenix mused.

"Hmmm..."

Jeremie exchanged looks with Odd and Ulrich. Yumi looked deep in her own thoughts.

"Back to the factory?" Odd asked.

"Back to the factory," Jeremie confirmed.

Everybody got up and dumped their trays. Jeremie practically ran back to the factory and the others had to rush to catch up.

"That's the fatest I've ever seen him move," Odd whispered to Ulrich.

"I heard that! Now hurry up!" Jeremie yelled.

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]