Saving Sanity by dobermutt
[Reviews - 1]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Eh, sorry it took so long...been busy...you know how it goes. So, here is the 4th chapter.
     It was almost the end of the week and things had gotten even stranger. Yumi stayed with Aelita at school, her parents were just as crazy as everyone else. Everyone in the group locked their doors at night, it was too much of a risk to leave it unlocked with the entire school, and city, going around insane. Jeremy checked the factory computer at least three times or so and sent Aelita and the others there. Still nothing. No activated towers and no signs of their super computer friend or his accomplice anywhere. Now the insanity had gotten pretty bad and unsafe...for anyone. This time they all met in William's room, the door and windows both closed and locked.

     “This is awful,” Odd sighed. “Things aren't going so well.”

     “You're telling me,” Ulrich agreed with his friend. “These insane people are getting pretty ugly. Pretty soon we won't be safe just staying here at Kadic.”

     “Agreed,” Jeremy nodded. “We need to find a safer location.”

     “Where do you suppose we should go?” Yumi asked.

     Jeremy rubbed his head in thought. “Not sure,” he answered. “Somewhere safe.”

     “There are few places to hide in safety,” William pointed out.

     “True,” Jeremy agreed. “But that doesn't mean there aren't any.”

     “We could just leave the country,” Odd suggested.

     “Now that's the dumbest idea I've ever heard!” Ulrich knocked Odd off the bed.

     “What about the factory?” Yumi questioned.

     “I don't know,” Aelita said. “I don't feel very comfortable with that idea.”

     “Aelitas right,” Jeremy said. “It's too open. We need some place hidden.”

     “Oh!” Odd spoke up.

     “If this is another dumb idea, Odd, then don't say anything - -” Ulrich started.

     “It's not, Ulrich. What about Aelita's house?” said Odd.

     “The Hermitage?” Yumi asked. “That is well hidden. But, what about Xana?”

     “At the moment I'm more afraid of the lunatics outside,” William said.

     “Agreed,” Jeremy sighed. “We could temporarily hide there.”

     “Sounds good,” William nodded. “When should we leave?”

     “ASAP,” Jeremy answered. “Which means tomorrow, we're going to sneak out of Kadic. And, if possible, avoid separation. I don't want anyone to get left behind.”


     The boys let the girls sleep in the beds while they remained on the floor. None of them really slept all that well, due to loud noises and bangs. The sooner the better, they thought. To comfort himself, Odd talked about food and his dog, Kiwi. However, this didn't ease anyone else. Ulrich just got annoyed. He tossed and turned, trying to rest even for just five minutes. They were all wide awake by morning. William was the first to stand up.

     “Come on, guys,” he said. “I don't think I can wait much longer. We should go now.”

     “Good idea,” Odd stood after William. “I'm getting a little paranoid myself.”

     “No time to lose,” Jeremy said. “Everyone, grab a sleeping bag. We're going out.”

     With caution, Yumi opened the door. All was clear, for the time being. One by one, with sleeping bags in their hands, they crept down the hall way. Ulrich, who was in the lead, stopped suddenly, causing everyone else to stop.

     “Oph!” William ran into Ulrich. “What's wrong? Why did you stop?”

     “Don't you hear that?” Ulrich asked.

     They all listened. The sound of chewing and munching could be heard. Angry faces turned to Odd, who was snacking away in the back.

     “What part of 'quiet' don't you understand?” Aelita asked.

     “What? You can't go out and be sneaky if you're hungry,” Odd complained.

     “Well,” Jeremy sighed. “Keep it down, would ya? We would be in huge trouble if we were caught.”

     Ulrich continued leading as they made their way out of the hall way. Slowly, they walked down the stairs. Jeremy kept Aelita from tripping and Ulrich threatened to hit Odd if he sneezed.

     “Wait!” Jeremy whispered loudly.

     “What?!” Odd looked around alarmingly.

     Jeremy pulled him behind the stairs and everyone else followed. William covered Odd's mouth as they hid. Just then, an almost zombified looking Jim walked into the stair way. His eyes were red, either from craziness or lack of sleep. He was pale and Yumi almost swore she saw a Xana symbol. But, as she quickly remembered, Xana had nothing to do with this...did he? Jim lingered for a while, to the group it seemed like forever. Finally, with a groan, Jim headed upstairs. Everyone behind the stairs sighed in relief.

     “That was close,” Aelita sighed.

     “Let's just get out of here,” William said.

     Nodding, Ulrich continued leading everyone outside. Everyone felt as if they were crossing the street, having to look both ways before crossing. They made it to the lunch room and stopped behind the building.

     “What did we stop for?” Yumi asked.

     “We talked a little last night,” Ulrich said.

     “'We'?” Aelita looked puzzled.

     “Odd and I...We thought it would be a good idea to get as much food as we can...No telling how long we're gonna be stuck in that shabby little shack,” Ulrich answered.

     “Hey!” Aelita fussed. “That 'shabby little shack' is my home!...Or was.”

     “We don't have time for this,” Jeremy told them. “Just hurry it up Odd.”

     William lifted Odd up to the window. Carefully, Odd unlocked it with a clip. After opening the window, he slipped in. The others heard a loud banging noise and quickly looked around in alert. Then they heard a faint voice: “I'm ok.” Shaking their heads, they continued keeping watch.

     “Heads up.”

     Bags of food fell on Ulrich's head.

    “Ouch! Watch it, Odd!” he whispered in anger.

    “I said to watch it, Ulrich,” Odd laughed as he let go of the window ledge.

     Each one of them had a bag to carry. Quietly, Ulrich led them around the campus.

     “Stop!” Ulrich put his arm out again.

     “Something wrong, Ulrich?” William asked.

     “The gate is blocked,” he replied.

     “Anyone got a plan B?” Odd sighed.

     “Yep,” Jeremy whispered. “We go through the woods and into the sewer.”

     “Great idea!” Aelita said. “Let's go.”

     So with that they turned a slight left and went into the woods. Carefully creeping behind every tree and bush within a step or two, they eventually made it to the sewer. Jeremy opened it.

     “Ladies first,” he said and helped Yumi and then Aelita down.

     William went last, closing the lid behind him. It was a little darker than usual. Odd stumbled.

     “Ow! Anyone got a light?” he asked.

     “Of course,” Jeremy replied. “We needed more supplies than just food, right?”

     Odd laughed slightly and followed everyone else. Finally, as they got up to a fork in the path, Ulrich stopped. Yumi pointed to the right and the went in that direction. Sure enough, there was a small passage on the right hand side of the path they went down. Ulrich opened it and led everyone else down it. After some time, they made it out and into the, some-what, sunny backyard of the Hermitage. Looking up, the gang noticed dark rain clouds hovering over just a few miles north of them. Quickly, they went inside.

     “Ah,” Yumi sighed in relief. “I'm glad we're safe, for now.”

     “Me too,” Aelita agreed.

     Jeremy went outside with William. They came back in a few minutes later with arms full of firewood.

     "Great!” Odd cheered. “But, uh, what do we need that for?”

     “To keep warm, provide light, and warm up food,” Jeremy answered.

     “But, why not use a stove to cook? Or turn on the heat to keep warm?” Odd asked.

     “Because,” Ulrich replied. “There's no electricity in this house.”

     “Oh...I forgot. What about the lights? We have enough, right?”

     “Well,” Jeremy started. “I have some lights, yes. But, there's no telling how long we'll be in here. Plus, batteries don't last forever.”
~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]