Lyoko Freak: 2005 - 2015. Return to the past now....

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:48 am

Barbara Weber-Scaff a.k.a. Ulrich Stern (and Kiwi )

Chat with the real-life actors who brought your favorite Code Lyoko characters to life!

Moderators: MG, kiwi, jerlita, mirabelle, Cher's Spare Parts, bambi, The Administrators, Moderators

Postby kiwi » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:53 pm

Stonecreek wrote:So, if you sing very well, how come you have not been asked to contribute this talent to Code Lyoko? It doesn't have to be through one of your characters (Kiwi singing!?), but it'd be nice to hear.
Well the fact that i sing doesn't really matter to the writers.. it'd be strange if Ulrich all of a sudden knew how to sing! but of course Kiwi could howl at the moon ;)
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby TB3 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:14 pm

kiwi wrote:
Stonecreek wrote:So, if you sing very well, how come you have not been asked to contribute this talent to Code Lyoko? It doesn't have to be through one of your characters (Kiwi singing!?), but it'd be nice to hear.
Well the fact that i sing doesn't really matter to the writers.. it'd be strange if Ulrich all of a sudden knew how to sing! but of course Kiwi could howl at the moon ;)

There's actually an anime (Excel Saga) where a dog sings the end credits song in a series of barks - translation is provided by a woman who appears in a little screen. The lyrics are a little worrying as the dog's owner is always threatening to eat it should a food crisis occur (worsened by the fact that the dog is named Menchi - Japanese for 'Minced Meat')!

"I knew ever since that day
The reason you had approached me
Tender and soft
That my body is to your taste

To your hunger-stricken eyes
How does my body seem
If you are to eat me, do it in one blow
So that the meat does not get hard!"

The question is - with an owner like his, what would Kiwi sing?
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

Joined Sept. 16th 2005, Post Tally 6423 (as of January 21st 2010)
TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FormicaArchonis » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:17 pm

kiwi wrote:
FormicaArchonis wrote:It's a living.:)

and a fun one at that!

Well, that's the important thing.:) Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Because they haven't made Code Lyoko: The Musical yet.:)

kiwi wrote:Well the fact that i sing doesn't really matter to the writers.. it'd be strange if Ulrich all of a sudden knew how to sing! but of course Kiwi could howl at the moon ;)

Heh.:) It's interesting - I was reading an interview with some American dub actors recently and one of them (Richard Epcar, English language voice for Batou in Ghost in the Shell's various incarnations) said "Most of us who do this work have some sort of musical background or intrinsic ability and because of that we can get into the rhythm of it." Some of the other actors being interviewed agreed with that assessment, about dubbing having its own rhythm, mentioning that there's even a handful of voice actors who are singers by trade, not actors.

So, uh, question, yeah. Do you find that your musical skills (vocal training, sense of rhythm) have as much bearing on voice acting as your acting skills?
FormicaArchonis offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Location: A basement. Your basement, my basement, I don't know. But I'm sure it's a basement.

Postby kiwi » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:06 am

TB3 wrote:

probably (in translation from barks into French, then to English)

Oh là là!
oh please do not sing master
I am sick of Break Break Break dance
It makes me rabid with bad taste in my jaws
I will become a zombie again, with glee,
before having to listen to that song again.
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby kiwi » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:18 am

FormicaArchonis wrote:So, uh, question, yeah. Do you find that your musical skills (vocal training, sense of rhythm) have as much bearing on voice acting as your acting skills?

I guess having some training in music does help, but that might work better for dub actors in the US who have to "loop" with a sort of beep system; and of course being able to listen to the rythm of a phrase and match it is definitely a key to the skill, but I actually think that juggling would be a good skill to have for this kind of dubbing off the band, you need to have one eye on the band and the other on the screen.
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby Blueyedblonde » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:14 pm

kiwi wrote:
TB3 wrote:

Oh là là!

Heh, Love the song Barbara!!!
I was actually singing it out loud as I was reading it, and My family gave me wierd looks. :*D
Blueyedblonde offline
Jeremie's Assistant
Jeremie's Assistant

Postby oddsgrlfriend » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:33 pm

Blueyedblonde wrote:
kiwi wrote:
TB3 wrote:

Oh là là!

Heh, Love the song Barbara!!!
I was actually singing it out loud as I was reading it, and My family gave me wierd looks. :*D

HAHA! I love that! It was very ingeinous of you to come up with that Barbara. :D
Life is a Fre@k $how!
oddsgrlfriend offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

Postby Mewberries151 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:36 pm

kiwi wrote:
Mewberries151 wrote:
FormicaArchonis wrote:
Mewberries151 wrote:I am rather intrigued by "The Odd Family" XD What kind of show was that, and what type of character did you voice in it? ^_^

If you remember as much of French class as I do, Mewberries, you won't understand this. But at least there's pictures!
http://www.tvfrance-intl.com/tvfi/1_programme/fs_show_prog2.php?cmd=search&id_prog=30082

Ah! Thank you for the link! From the looks of that paragraph, it seems like it's one of those "disfunctional family that somehow ban together to get through things (with hilarity)" kind of storyline, which is cool. ^.^ Which character did you voice in that, Mrs. Weber-Scaff? :)

We really like that cartoon; the animation is great. I do the voice(s) of both of the twins!

Aww, thank you so much for leting me know! I'm going to have to look for web downloads or DVDs of this show so I can watch it. :D
"Hey, make up your mind. Am I a genius or a creep?"
"You're a creepy genius."

-Odd and Jeremie; "Cruel Dilemma", Code Lyoko

Icon made by boxofdoomage @ LJ

Mewberries151 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ulrich Stern. » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:38 pm

I'm going to have to try and find your CD too. It looks interesting. What type of music is it? I'm normally into stuff like Tony Bennet, but I do get into a lot of other types of music too. By the way, what's your music genre choice?

Ulrich Stern. offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby FormicaArchonis » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:17 am

kiwi wrote:I guess having some training in music does help, but that might work better for dub actors in the US who have to "loop" with a sort of beep system; and of course being able to listen to the rythm of a phrase and match it is definitely a key to the skill, but I actually think that juggling would be a good skill to have for this kind of dubbing off the band, you need to have one eye on the band and the other on the screen.

Or a magical sense of where everything is even when you can't see it.:) Very interesting, thanks for the answer!

kiwi wrote:Oh là là!

:*D Oh, that is perfect!
FormicaArchonis offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Location: A basement. Your basement, my basement, I don't know. But I'm sure it's a basement.

Postby Cassius335 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:53 am

kiwi wrote:
TB3 wrote:

Oh là là!

:*D
Cassius335 offline
Lyoko Freak
Lyoko Freak

Postby kiwi » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:31 pm

Ulrich Stern. wrote:I'm going to have to try and find your CD too. It looks interesting. What type of music is it? I'm normally into stuff like Tony Bennet, but I do get into a lot of other types of music too. By the way, what's your music genre choice?

i like many differnent types of music, from jazz to country to opera to alternative rock. The stuf I sang in France a few years ago, for fun, was "radio candy", not really my thing. One of the records was called Elle Donne
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby TB3 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:34 pm

kiwi wrote:
Ulrich Stern. wrote:I'm going to have to try and find your CD too. It looks interesting. What type of music is it? I'm normally into stuff like Tony Bennet, but I do get into a lot of other types of music too. By the way, what's your music genre choice?

i like many differnent types of music, from jazz to country to opera to alternative rock. The stuf I sang in France a few years ago, for fun, was "radio candy", not really my thing. One of the records was called Elle Donne

How about a version of 'World Without Danger' sung by yourself and the VAs? Hehe - major pipe-dream there :D
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MY85 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:38 pm

kiwi wrote:
TB3 wrote:

Oh là là!

Must get BBBD off my head!! *grabs gun, runs away and shoots himself*

BTW, a question to Barbara: who was the first CL Voice Actor you met?
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby kiwi » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:53 pm

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:
kiwi wrote:
TB3 wrote:

Oh là là!

Must get BBBD off my head!! *grabs gun, runs away and shoots himself*

BTW, a question to Barbara: who was the first CL Voice Actor you met?

Well I already knew all the actors from other series, except Mirabelle, and Chris Cavalero, who played Odd in two episodes. Most of them are good friends of mine.
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby kiwi » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:55 pm

TB3 wrote:
kiwi wrote:

How about a version of 'World Without Danger' sung by yourself and the VAs? Hehe - major pipe-dream there :D

we get to hear Matt sing it in fench all the time on the set! We were all bummed that none of us were asked to do it. Butr Noam does a great job, he sounds alot like my budddy Julien Lamassonne who sung it in French.
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby MY85 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:58 am

Hey, Barbara... I got a question:

Have you ever used your "barking skills" to take advantage of something? I mean, like barking from somewhere just to scare someone or surprise somebody...
Lani wrote:Eh, in the end, people (real or cartoon) are naked and having a good time. What's wrong with that?
MY85 offline

Postby kiwi » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:26 am

RoDrInCuBuS wrote:Hey, Barbara... I got a question:

Have you ever used your "barking skills" to take advantage of something? I mean, like barking from somewhere just to scare someone or surprise somebody...

Hey, now that's a really good idea... I suppose I should bark a few times before answering the front door when there's a delvery or something...
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby Ulrich Stern. » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:23 am

kiwi wrote:

Hey, now that's a really good idea... I suppose I should bark a few times before answering the front door when there's a delvery or something...

Your back! :D

Um, the barking thing might be a little strange. I could just imagine the look on the postmans face if you did that. Postman = :omg:

Well, this Friday me and my Robotics Club are going to compitition. I was chosen as one of the drivers for the robot. :trans: When we first started building I tried to get them to call it Kiwi 3, but they didn't like it. Next year I have an even better idea. Even though it's not spelled like this I think I'll suggest the name AI-leta. Glad to see you back again. :)

Ulrich Stern. offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby kiwi » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:24 pm

Ulrich Stern. wrote:
kiwi wrote:

Your back! :D

Um, the barking thing might be a little strange. I could just imagine the look on the postmans face if you did that. Postman = :omg:

:)

I meant behind the door, so they couldn't see me doing it! That way they'd think I had a vicious bull terrier ( a cartoon one at that!) somewhere on the premises...
It's nice to BE back!
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby MY85 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:32 pm

kiwi wrote:

:rofl: Go for it... and good luck if you succeed on that.
MY85 offline

Postby Ulrich Stern. » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:09 pm

kiwi wrote:I meant behind the door, so they couldn't see me doing it! That way they'd think I had a vicious bull terrier ( a cartoon one at that!) somewhere on the premises...
It's nice to BE back!

Oh, good. I agree with Rodri, go for it! :rofl2: So, anything new about season three coming out yet? Everyone's a little confused about how Xana will attack the real world and how the team will stop him if he doesn't need Lyoko anymore. But don't tell us what's going to happen. :stop: I like the surprise of seeing the new episodes without knowing the ending in advance. :D But you can tell us what you think of all of it. :)

Ulrich Stern. offline
Popular Kid
Popular Kid

Postby kiwi » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:44 pm

Ulrich Stern. wrote:
kiwi wrote:I meant behind the door, so they couldn't see me doing it! That way they'd think I had a vicious bull terrier ( a cartoon one at that!) somewhere on the premises...
It's nice to BE back!

Oh, good. I agree with Rodri, go for it! :rofl2: So, anything new about season three coming out yet? Everyone's a little confused about how Xana will attack the real world and how the team will stop him if he doesn't need Lyoko anymore. But don't tell us what's going to happen. :stop: I like the surprise of seeing the new episodes without knowing the ending in advance. :D But you can tell us what you think of all of it. :)

Actually, for once, I'm in the dark too! they decided, apparently this season, to do the guide tracks for the animation, in French, not English (probably a budget motivated decsion, as usual), so I don(t have any idea what the new season looks like! I9'm just as excited as you are to find out what happens next.
kiwi offline
Voice Actor
Voice Actor

Postby TB3 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:01 pm

kiwi wrote:It's nice to BE back!

Nice to have you back! :hello: Hiya! ;)

Actually, for once, I'm in the dark too! they decided, apparently this season, to do the guide tracks for the animation, in French, not English (probably a budget motivated decsion, as usual), so I don(t have any idea what the new season looks like! I9'm just as excited as you are to find out what happens next.

Stupid Moonscoop! :pbthbb: Ah well, waiting heightens the anticipation - only 182 days to go! :D
LORD HIGH TRANSLATOR!

TB3 offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Agent_Marquez » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:27 am

Hello, Mrs. Weber-Scaff.

Seeing how there's animal voicing talk... was Kiwi your first time into voicing any kind of animals? And have you ever tried voicing other kinds of animals?

kiwi wrote:
TB3 wrote:

Oh là là!

Interesting... do you dislike the Break Break Break Dance song, Barbara?
A Requiem To Our Homeland - Stand-by

Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.
- William Shakespeare
Agent_Marquez offline
Lyoko Team Member
Lyoko Team Member

PreviousNext